listening to your music on your speakers

Rsoxfan

I'm just looking to find out what you guy's think of your "brand" music played through your Klipsch speakers? I listen to hard rock, wich is pretty harsh. But it's only made that much more apparent by my forte ll's.

I also just got them this week and am in the process of still working out all the bugs.

Just basically looking to get some of your opinions on how you feel about the music you like and the Klipsch of your choice and how those two work with each other.

I think that my system sounds good with practically any type of music, but there is a caution:

some rock is recorded in a "less-than-adequate" manner, because, let's face it, nuance and soundstage isn't really a concern when the music is coming from one or more full stacks of Marshall cabs with enough volume to part your hair.

To really get a grip on things audio-wise, go for a full orchestra or a big band with a vocalist. If it sounds "right" there, it's right, and the bad-rock recordings are just bad recordings, nothing to adjust the system over.

DM2.gif

I like rock and metal. But I must say, this is not optimal with the heritage line. I have used several other klipsch speakers and they do fine. I am currently trying deal with the same situation with my scalas. Some rock or metal cd's are unbearable. It could be a recording quality but it is not as noticeable on my KG 5.2's.

This is not set in stone. I am listening to TOOL while typing thid and it sounds great. If I listen to any other kind of music excluding rap, they are beatiful.

Nice analog cables can be less harsh than Digital.

The problem is the lack of dynamic range in the recording. During mastering, high levels all the way to clipping are used to FATTEN UP the sound, and ensure intelligibility through interfering noise, which helps for listening through your car stereo in traffic.

However, this also makes the recording sound terrible on highly resolving systems. Also, the change from a wider dynamic range (let's say in the intro and the verses) which is around 12-15dB avg on most rock recordings, to a 0-6dB dynamic range during the chorus (even 0-3dB sometimes, if wider averaging is used). The change is jarring, because we're used to an expansive, deep and clean soundstage. When clipping occurs, soundstage will invariably collapse. This change is very jarring and is one of the most noticeable downsides to using a highly resolving 2-channel system for listening to some modern recordings. If you use Dolby PL for example and have the sound pumping from multiple speakers, including ones behind you, some of the sensation of the soundstage is preserved, which is why some people prefer to listen to such recordings on multichannel setups.

I charge the RIAA with being at fault for this, since they clearly lump all listeners into the same group, and are determined to ensure that most of us listen to the same music, under the same circumstances, etc.

Perhaps if the leadership of the recording industry was replaced with younger, more future-oriented businessmen, we might see some changes. For example, one could pay to download the album at an earlier stage of mastering (before the monster compression). I, for one, would pay extra for rock recordings without clipping.

But of course, this is just idle dreaming, since the music industry seems far more content with FORCING people to fulfill their business model and abide by their rules, rather than providing positive incentives for the people to do so.

CharmedLife.jpg

I listen to alot of Rock/Metal in which I believe the KLF-30's were perfectly made for :) but occasionaly I do listen to other genres. One favorite track that I always go back to is "Prodigal Blues" by Billy Idol. Man, I tell you what it's an excellent tune, but the bass in this song is amazing, just sit back and it's like your getting a back massage! Don't get me wrong, there are lots of other cd's with plenty of bass, but this just really gets me.... excellent!

post-13769-13819259476948_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 11/19/2004 8:10:59 PM jwcullison wrote:

I like rock and metal. But I must say, this is not optimal with the heritage line. I have used several other klipsch speakers and they do fine. I am currently trying deal with the same situation with my scalas. Some rock or metal cd's are unbearable. It could be a recording quality but it is not as noticeable on my KG 5.2's.

This is not set in stone. I am listening to TOOL while typing thid and it sounds great. If I listen to any other kind of music excluding rap, they are beatiful.

Nice analog cables can be less harsh than Digital.

----------------

jwcullison: I am shocked! I just read what your system makeup was and I was shocked more! Please list some of the cd you are having a problem with, I am curious if I have them and have a similar experience about them. I have La Scala and a 50 watt integrated amp.

I listen to jazz on vinyl about 90% of the time and I have NEVER heard this music sound better in my home that on the Cornwalls and I have owned PLENTY of speakers over the years (from original Quads to KEF 105 to Tannoy Monitor Golds to Belle Klipsch).

But I have to tell you, the Cornwalls to my ears are TERRIBLE rock and roll speakers. My Tannoys are so much better when blasting the Stones, John Lee Hooker or even the Sex Pistols or Dr Dre it isn't even CLOSE.

Use my 50,s Khorns daily for Rock alt arock ect.

Was Just Playing some Beck killer great sound. Pearl jam was next Nice nice.

Eneded with some Pink fylod dark side of the Moon.

Threshold amp and pre amp 58 stock khorns

Nak oms7 cd

Thorens td 125, black widow arm

Nak drangon on tape

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 11/20/2004 12:39:18 AM Allan Songer wrote:

I listen to jazz on vinyl about 90% of the time and I have NEVER heard this music sound better in my home that on the Cornwalls and I have owned PLENTY of speakers over the years (from original Quads to KEF 105 to Tannoy Monitor Golds to Belle Klipsch).

But I have to tell you, the Cornwalls to my ears are TERRIBLE rock and roll speakers. My Tannoys are so much better when blasting the Stones, John Lee Hooker or even the Sex Pistols or Dr Dre it isn't even CLOSE.

----------------

Alan, if your ever in Chicago, come on by, and listen to corns play it all3.gif2.gif

Guest Anonymous

----------------

----------------

Alan, if your ever in Chicago, come on by, and listen to corns play it all3.gif2.gif

Guest Anonymous

----------------

----------------

I'm not sure Forte IIs are the best Klipsch Speakers for Rock. KLF 20s and 30s have a reputation for being great Rock Speakers and although my experience with them is minimal, I would give them the edge over the Forte IIs. Only for Rock, however.

If Allans ever in Chicago, Id drive down and buy him a steak at Gene & Georgettis.

----------------

On 11/19/2004 8:32:41 PM meuge wrote:

The problem is the lack of dynamic range in the recording. During mastering, high levels all the way to clipping are used to FATTEN UP the sound, and ensure intelligibility through interfering noise, which helps for listening through your car stereo in traffic.

However, this also makes the recording sound terrible on highly resolving systems.

----------------

Meuge, well-written and thought out. I agree with you. There is a HUGE difference between the best and worst recordings, only made greater by very dynamic Klipschorns used with quality amplification.

I'll listen to Fourplay's "Elixir" CD, and then listen to some of my kids' stuff, and I almost have to run from the room; it's THAT big of a difference.

On Cornwalls, I would agree somewhat with Allan, although when driven by my old McIntosh MC2105, I found them quite nice for classic rock.

Strangely enough, my favorite Klipsch combo for rock is my daughter's Harmon Kardon HK430 and KG4's. They can really blow down the house when motivated to do so.

Music Hall MMF-7 Turntable w/ Goldring Eroica H MC

Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP with 24 bit/192 KHz Upsampling

Wright Sound WPP-100C Phono Stage

JF Lessard Pantheon 6SN7 SRPP Preamp w/ RCA 5R4GY & Sylvania 6SN7

JF Lessard Horus Parafeed Cobalt 2A3 Monoblocks w/ Tung Sol 5687 & AVVT 2A3

1976 KCBR Klipschorns with ALK Crossovers

Gear Online: Two Channel & Home Theater Systems

My SF-2 synerygs will do ANYTHING. So naturally and they play very low for how slim they are. For how close I sit they rock out bigtime and bluegrass, country, jazz, classic rock and blues is mind blowing on dts dvd format. Literally anything I throw at them except a crummy recording. I can add a sub to the crummy recordings and get a good sound then. Pretty much sounds great all the time with my athena sub on. I never heard a sub blend so well with other speakers for such a sweet price. But it's those sweet synergy horns that really makes it sound so live and realistic. Acoustic guitar is right there on the money. Depending on the amplifier I noticed music can tilt a little to certain genres. That's why lately I will take a neutral amp over warm or overly bright. I will take lively over sleepy any day of the week.

i am with dman, i listen to everything on my khorns, and it all sounds spectacular, but because of the quality of the recordings, or the particular machine you are using for downstream, certan recordings just sound poor. so from my experience switching from speaker type to speaker type is just compensating for weaknesses, from my frequent visits to audio boutiques, auditioning very expensive systems tells the same tale. a poor recording is a poor recording, or a poor machine is a poor machine, i even gave up on cd until i get my krell player, now i just havent found a bad cd, after all the money i spent thinking it was the recordings i found it was my source player