Poor shipping like this should never happen

Klipschfoot

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=61381&item=5733734449&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

for a pair of JBL L110 speakers. Okay, I KNOW this is NOT the JBL forum, but these speakers sold the first time on eBay for $427 from my recollection. The high price was probably due to the rare original blue cloth grills and great condition.

When I ship speakers, they are wrapped with 1" pink sheet insulation and floating in plenty of foam peanuts in a sturdy dishpak box from a storage business. The seller had some rare classics and they are now worth less than half their current selling BIN price.

Just be sure to give your packing preferences when buying eBay items. What a waste of time and investment.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune (was this YOUR misfortune?). I just can't understand some people. Just too damn lazy I guess.

As great as ebay can be, I also had a discouraging experience tonight.

I bought a Stan Getz LP for $2.50, the starting price. That's all I bid thinking if I could get it for that price it would be worth it even with shipping costs way high at $6. Still, for $8.50 I could live with it. When I went to paypal the seller, he had adjusted his shipping price to $7.75. I've bought many LPs on ebay and this is the first time anyone has ever adjusted shipping costs after the auction ended. I guess he was expecting more for the LP. I'm seriously considering risking my 100% positive feedback to slam this a-hole and inform ebay of this tactic although it may be perfectly legal, I don't really know.

Sorry for the hijack but this just happened and I'm PO'd.

When I bought my turntable, it came from Canada. Shipping was high... but I told him I wanted it double boxed and packed extra well. So, he charged me even more. It cost me $30 or more for shipping. When I got the item, it was only single boxed, and there was VERY little packing material inside. Not to mention that it really didn't work well to begin with... but its poor operating condition was not listed in the auction. Maybe it was poor shipping, but I don't believe so....

I definitely don't skimp on shipping when I sell an item. I overpack...

$7.75 to ship an LP Priority Mail from CA to MD with delivery confirmation is pretty much right. If he is in your neck of the woods it costs about $4.75. But he should have told you this from the get-go. I would have refused to pay the $7.75 and blown off the deal.

I ALWAYS ship Media Mail with confirmation--about $2.50!! That is unless it's a very high dollar LP.

I was wrong. He boosted it from $6.00 to $6.75 for MEDIA MAIL!!!!! That costs $1.46 or $1.84 no matter where you're shipping from in the 48 states! It was a stinkin $2.50 LP. I certainly don't need priority mail on something of such little value. I've paid as high as $7 for priority mail but on a much more expensive LP. This was just gouging.

Packing for shipping ahhhhhhh! I bought a set of Heresy IIs awhile back off ebay. The seller took them to his local UPS store and they packed them for him. Both speakers wrapped in garbage bags, both put into the same box and about four cups of peanuts inside the box. Needless to say when I got them there was a bit of damage. Both speakers had major and minor cosmetic damage due to the packing. Parts were broken off of the crossovers. I eventually got a settlement from UPS after an extremely long process that had to be settled via e-mail, telephone and finally snail mail. I dont fault the seller as he was pretty inexperienced and did provide me a tremendous amount of assistance to get this resolved. But after this I would say never trust a shipping company to advise you on how to pack your stuff. Make it bullet proof. I still cant get over putting two 40 pound wood boxes in plastic bags cushioned by a few peanuts in a cardboard box.

I'm starting to think that for the most part, shipping stuff like speakers & TT's are a crap-shoot nowadays.

When I sold my RC-3, I didn't have the original box so I was a bit concerned about shipping it. I took it to a local independant shipping place and told the young man (son of the owner come to find out) that he needed to make damn sure it was packed to survive a C-130 aerial drop. He laughed and proceeded to wrap the RC-3 in a double layer of bubble wrap and then made a box to fit around the RC-3. Next he made up another box large enough to have approx. 4 or 5 inches of foam peanuts all the way around. He did an excellent job and I think my total was around $35 for packing & shipping. The new owner called me to let me know that it arrived safe & sound and to thank me for packing it so well. Those folks will always get my business.

Tom

----------------

On 11/22/2004 11:35:58 PM garymd wrote:

Sorry to hear of your misfortune (was this YOUR misfortune?). I just can't understand some people. Just too damn lazy I guess.

I bought a Stan Getz LP for $2.50, the starting price. That's all I bid thinking if I could get it for that price it would be worth it even with shipping costs way high at $6. Still, for $8.50 I could live with it. When I went to paypal the seller, he had adjusted his shipping price to $7.75. I've bought many LPs on ebay and this is the first time anyone has ever adjusted shipping costs after the auction ended. I guess he was expecting more for the LP. I'm seriously considering risking my 100% positive feedback to slam this a-hole and inform ebay of this tactic although it may be perfectly legal, I don't really know.

----------------

The Seller does not have the right to adjust costs that were listed after the auction.

Write it up to Safe Harbor, copy Customer Service in and note any proof you have. That is akin to fraud.

If he negs you because of doing that, it can be removed, but note to Safe Harbor that you do not want to get a neg because of filing.

Win

just my .02 since I worked for 5 years for Gates Learjet in shipping department. We're talking cabin pressure regulators the size of a breadbox that cost $40,000. Stuff like this shipped almost daily with hardly an incident.

Shippers - please realize the density of the object you're packing versus the ability of the packing medium to shift. THere is NO speaker manufacturers I know of that use peanuts for shipping their new product. Heavy items like speakers and amps should be wrapped in plastic or original box for dust and moisture protection, then given 2-4 inches of solid foam, either closed cell stryofoam in sheets, or the urethane blow and expand type (ala Klipsch Reference series) to KEEP THE UNIT FROM SHIFTING in the outer box. THink of the box tumbling end over end, then falling 3 feet from the truck bed or dock onto the cold, wet ground. Your packaging must meet this test. Peanuts are fine for light fluffly items that won't fall 'through' the peanuts. If the manufacturer doesn't use it in the first place, theirs probably a reason.

INSURE INSURE INSURE and don't take any $##!t from anyone!

Michael

I do not trust places like the UPS store or Fedex/Kinko's to pack anything for me unless I can supervise the pack job or inspect it after its done. I always overpack and I have yet to have an incident. A little common sense goes a long way. I sent popbumper his Heresy II's and cablacksmith a La Scala Pro La Scala top section and they arrived in perfect order.

The prices for bubblewrap and cartons at those places are pretty pricey as well. I usually need some oddball sizes and boy can they get expensive, I always try to be totally fair with the buyer. I have stopped using UPS Ground because Fedex Ground is cheaper and at least a day faster to the West Coast.

I buy alot of vintage unreplaceable stuff and I always insist on double boxing but some people just don't get it? I asked that an amp be triple boxed to be sent to me, they triple boxed it but that is it, no packing material between the cartons, WTF? The amp tore through all three cartons easily, there are some obviously dense people out there!

----------------

On 11/23/2004 12:34:04 PM dodger wrote:

----------------

----------------

The Seller does not have the right to adjust costs that were listed after the auction.

Write it up to Safe Harbor, copy Customer Service in and note any proof you have. That is akin to fraud.

If he negs you because of doing that, it can be removed, but note to Safe Harbor that you do not want to get a neg because of filing.

Win

----------------

Thanks for the advice Win. I have an email from the seller after the auction with an invoice for $8.50. When I went to paypal to make the payment, the charges came to $9.25 with the message box stating "revision to shipping estimate." I'll forward both of these to ebay. It's a bad precedent and one that should be illegal if it isn't already.

If you can locate them shipping corners which separate inner boxes from outer boxes they can provide a very stabilizing environment for shipping delicates. Sadly most of the stuff I get via UPS, in particular, appears to have been drop kicked cross country. I've received one item from them so breached that packing peanuts trailed from the truck to my door.

Regarding e-bay their shipping calculator feature allows the seller to accommodate for handling fees. But, this should all be done in advance of the transaction.

Interestingly I received an RS-7 whose shipping box took a forklift hit without damage the speaker. On the other hand my new Khorn boxes are so chewed up that I may decide to dispose of them. They look as though they were dragged (or pushed) across a gravel parking lot.

Kind of relating to this subject, I recently have been selling stuff on eBay to make some extra cash. recently I had always stated in my item descriptions that I do not overcharge or screw anyone on shipping. Well, after a couple weeks of this I couldn't believe all the extra fees eBay now has along with PayPal. Damn, eBay has a listing fee, then a final sale fee. Then you figure out what it costs to ship the item & the packaging you need to get for it. PayPal does the same thing, if the person pays with a credit card you get charged another fee... It's crazy & makes it hard to keep shipping & handling low.

Although, It is the sellers responsibility to list all fees ahead of time & changing that afterwards is wrong, and he shoudn't be able to get away with that. He pretty much changed the contract you both had making it worthless, so I wouldn't buy the LP... unless you can work it out with him. LIke was said also, eBay should be able to help you out with the Negative feedback issue.

I think people underestimate bubblewrap! We sold and shipped an aouboard motor from Reno to New England, and most of the packing was a *6.gif*load of bubblewrap around the unit, and lots of cardboard as a 'buffer' and shock absorber.

No problems.

Foam penuts are worthless for most stuff. A teapot or Heresy will not fall through bubblewrap.

----------------

Sorry to hear of your misfortune (was this YOUR misfortune?).

----------------

Nope. Wasn't me buying OR selling. And, oh yea, I also wrap a trash bag around speakers first when I ship them.

I recently sent out some drivers from another speaker set recently. Two sets, two packages, both going to California from Maryland. I reduced the shipping from a total of $25 to $21 since it was the same buyer for both lots. The buyer includes in his PayPal payment comment, "$21 should be enough to pack them really good." It costs me $19 just for the shipping charges. I guess he figures I am profiting $3? Hardly. When you spend nearly half an hour packing it right, considering that anyone's labor is worth $25/hour easily, printing a label from FedEx online, driving to FedEx (fortunately for me is only 5 minutes away), I came out at a loss on the items. AS a buyer, I would rather wait for something to show up locally. God knows I have plenty of stuff to which to listen in the meantime. 16.gif

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Joe:

It sounds like some of the paypal fees you are incurring involve their integrated postage & label printing feature. Well I have found a way around this......I use the USPS.com click 'n ship service instead and it does not cost a penny to print out the label with the postage and the delivery confirmation is FREE!!!! The only downer is that while it stores your outgoing address info in your login information you have to transfer the outgoing shipping address information into the label yourself but it does do a standardized address auto-format for you! Also pretty obviously you cannot use your paypal account to pay for the postage ......unless....you have a paypal ATM/debit card. If you do....guess what!?!? you get a 1.5% rebate on the shipping! I just enter in the paypal debit card number in the credit card postage payment info (It is a Mastercard) and it works like magic!! It is a little way to screw them back for all the eBay fees but I'll take it!! There are some requirements to have this card and I know that one of them is you have to be a Verified Premier or Business Account holder....something you have to do anyway if you receive more than $100 a month into your paypal account.....to get more info go into your paypal account and click on help and then enter "How do I get a PayPal ATM/Debit Card" into the question search box. They are pushing the "Paypal visa" right now and you will see links for this all over the paypal site but that is a credit card and does not even have a cash back feature. The ATM/Debit thing is a much better product because it is linked to your paypal account so you don't even have to do transfers back to your checking account to spend the money and you get the 1.5% cash back (which goes back into your paypal account) every time you use the card without using the PIN (i.e. to get the cash back they don't want the transaction ran as a debit but as a credit transaction).....

Happy Klipsching!!!

~~Craig 2.gif