Best Holiday Movie

Amy

Hi Amy:

Depending upon whether you want older or newer.

Older:

White Christmas

It's a Wonderful World - Jimmy Stewart

New:

Any of the Tim Allen Santa Clause movies. The first is great.

Cartoon or animated:

Frosty the Snowman

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer

It's a Great Christmas, Charlie Brown

A Christmas Carol

Happy Holidays,

dodger

EDIT POST:

Christmas Carol:

The Christmas Song - Johnny Mathis or Nat King Cole

Silent Night - Mannheim Steamroller - violin portion reminds me of my Mother's playing, but not quite as good as she played - Hits me when I hear it or sing it Christmas Eve

END EDIT

• Moderators

I love the nostalgia of A Christmas Story... the department store Santa, holiday parades, Christmas songs on the old radio, little kids falling asleep under the tree because they woke up mom and dad at 5 am, all the way down to the big bulbs on the tree and the stringy tinsel (tiny bulbs and garland now seem to be the norm)... and I love how it's told from the perspective of a child as remembered by an adult. Very effective. Some parts are silly, but overall, a great and realistic look back in time to a more innocent day.

Nightmare Before Christmas is great... saw it for the first time this Halloween. The songs are great, not to mention the visuals.

Miracle on 34th Street, favorite "oldie." When they see his cane in the corner of the room...

That's what Christmas really should be about, after the Religious aspect if a person is a beliver,

Nostalgia and Innocence. No comprehension about time. Lights, a tree, a time of year when all want Peace.

The wonder of what's in the wrapped box, the cookies and candy. The thoughts of other People. Snow Angels, Santa Claus. Dropping money in the kettle to help those who need it, Mystery Santas who leave something each day.

Family - together in rooms, in hearts. Memories and Tradition.

I always gave my Nieces and Nephews wrapped Life Saver Candy Books. Still do.

A child's eyes staring at the lights, going Christmas Caroling.

Memories that last a lifetime, that you cherish - the special Ornament or Santa Claus that is yours.

Cold, snowy nights waiting for THE DAY. And Family...

dodger12.gif

"A Christmas Story" has become, I think, the de facto popular choice, as far as today's generation goes, with a little thanks to the annual 24-marathon on TBS. Apart from that, I especially like "Scrooge" (1970?) with Albert Finney. The 1951 traditional version of "A Christmas Carol" with Alistair Sim is excellent as well.

I could not agree more with Nightmare Before Christmas and Christmas Vacation. My kids and I have established the tradition of watching "Nightmare" on Halloween night as we feast on the day's bounty. "Vacation" is our Christmas eve viewing tradition and I am looking forward to it already. I have also recently added another one to my list, Elf. An instant classic IMHO.

• Moderators

Bad Santa is working it's way up my list, although not nearly in the same genre as It's a Wonderful Life! And definitely not for the kiddies...

For Thanksgiving, you just can't beat Planes, Trains and Automobiles... And The House of Yes, for those with a darker and more twisted side to your personality.

All of them!

To name a few more not already mentioned...

Jingle all the way

Wonderful life

Scrooged (Richard Donner Directed)

Miracle on 34st... the later Color versions is pretty good too...

I hate to say it but Die Hard series were at Xmas time....hehehe

I think one of the Lethal Weapons was at Xmas too...I think #4?

There are hundreds of others....and they are all great in one way or another to watch during December!

Miracle on 34th and Christmas story for their meaning and old-time nostalgia. Charlie Brown for the awesome jazz music and 'today's' message- Linus' speech at the end is just spell-binding.

But for life-affirming, tear-jerking, awesome acting lighting and camerawork, nothing beats It's a Wonderful Life. I need to see that movie just to get me in the spirit after burying Mom on Christmas eve several years ago. To me, that movie just says it all in a very personal way. Havent' we all been through some of those same emotions that Jimmy Stewart portrays so beautifully. I mean 'go ahead and kiss her already, youth is wasted on the young' totally CLASSIC.

Think I'll go and put it on right now. Oh yeah, as a photographer, there is something intrinsically beautiful about a movie that was filmed in bw that is still in bw. It's all in the lighting. When you don't have color, the lens and light are everything. The soft focus lens on Mary is gorgeous. Check it out!

Michael

I was going to say you can't have a Christmas movie list without having Scrooged on that list! Otherwise, the usual favorites for me, It's a Wonderful Life and A Christmas Story.

I like the Die Hard movies at any time of the year, even at Christmas. If a bunch of guys shooting the place up don't put you in the spirit I just don't know what will!! ;-)