WAY OT- Worst USA Blunders?

Scp53

----------------

On 12/6/2004 11:02:19 PM Allan Songer wrote:

Charlie Wilson's War
----------------

Allan-Is that the same Wilson who was in the CIA and now imprisoned (or at least was until recently) who was working out illegal arms deals in Libya? (I can't remember his first name, but that sounds right.)

David

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The defeats of Harmar and St. Clair in our war against the Indians of The Old Northwest back in the 1790s.

The entire fiasco that was The War of 1812.

The Yellowstone Campaign of 1876

The end of Reconstruction and the selling-out of the Freedmen and the turning over of the South to the ex-Rebels and Jim Crow.

Spanish-American War

Phillipine Insurrection

Getting involved in The Great War

Not getting involved in The League of Nations

Loss of the Phillipines 1941-1942

Battle of The Savo Sea

The Vietnam War

----------------

On 12/7/2004 12:45:04 AM oneleggedbob wrote:

Packers v's Eagles

----------------

You're right on there! That bone head coach has made enough blunders in the last two Eagle's games to teach a class on how not to win a critical football game. The Pack will never win the big one with that guy leading the way.

Last year in the playoff game he should have taken the 3 points at the end of the first half. It would have put them up by more than two scores and they were getting the second half kick off. That was one of the biggest blunders in football history. Ah, what's it matter, the "cheeseheads" still love the guy.2.gif

Worst US blunders? Well, there is a long history:

1. Trying to invade Canada

2. Trying to invade Mexico

3. NOT letting the south separate from the Union

4. Extending the Civil War across all oceans

5. Confiscating and selling Indian land without honoring the treaties

6. Trying to outlaw alcohol instead of regulating it

7. Thinking that the Titanic was unsinkable

8. NOT having the financial controls to recognize a stock market boom

9. NOT having the financial controls to prevent a stock market crash

10. NOT having food assistance & supplies to resist the Depression drought

11. Refusing German & Russian Jews refugees before WWII

12. Cutting off Japanese oil supply while they had a fleet as large as ours

13. Keeping our Pacific fleet all in one place

14. Smearing Hollywood as Communist during the forties

15. Allowing Kruschev to maneuver Cuba into an allied state

16. Ignoring civil rights until the 1960s

17. Trying to rule French colonial south-east Asia

18. Trading drugs for guns with the Hmung in So. Vietnam

19. Staying on the gold standard so long

20. Meddling in middle-eastern politics

21. NOT diversifying our energy sources

22. NOT encouraging energy conversation after two oil crises

23. Taking generations to impose money controls on all banks

24. Trading drugs for guns with rebels in So. America and supporting dictatorships

25. Meddling with Latin American economies and politics, including supporting dictatorships and assignations

26. Supporting Noriega while he laundered money for the Cali and Medin drug cartel

27. Having only one Coast Guard plane on patrol in South Florida during the 80s

28. Allowing Russian mob to dominate Cuban tourist trade and commerce

29. Supporting one fascist regime after another in the Middle East

30. Selling weapons to all sides in the Middle East

31. Switching US economic aid to Israel to military aid

32. Giving Israel so much aid

33. Arming al Qaeda to fight Soviet Union without encouraging great American progressive social experiment reforms

34. NOT providing another crop for Afghan poppy farmers

35. Invading Iraq with the large military force instead of chasing al Qaeda to the ends of the earth

36. NOT finding Osma bin Laden

37. Allowing massive pollution of the coral reefs, the source of all higher forms of aquatic life, e.g. fish

38. Ignoring the fall of imperialistic colonial empires

39. Spreading American corporatism, NOT our great American progressive social experiment

40. Failing to invest in Mexican, Siberian, Norwegian & Canadian oil fields

41. Withdrawal of most international treaties

42. Imposition of trade restraints that protect corporations, but not jobs

43. Restricting imports on Japanese autos, so they build their better cars here, further reducing US market share

44. Letting politicians and church decide medical policies on drugs and sex

45. Encouraging trade with China while they peg their currency to our dollar so their exports have strong buying power

46. NOT seeing the EU as the greatest economic competition of the next century

47. Underestimating the economic growth of India

48. Failing to intervene in Arab backed genocide in the Sudan, while securing oil in Iraq

49. Having a military budget ten times the size of the next largest nation

50. Having the worst high school science and math scores of the industrialized democracies

51. Practicing politics of exclusion and repression

52. Not setting the best global example

7.gif

Colin---I respectfully submit that invading Mexico and taking the Indian's lands were things that worked out very well for The United States and hardly blunders.

The Titanic was an English ship. Well yes, White Star had American ownership but the ship was built and the line run by the Brits.

Otherwise not much for me to argue with.

What a crock! After all that election year crap do we really STILL have to come up with more reasons to BASH the USA? I suppose a discussion of all the GOOD America has done would be pretty short in academic circles.

Either way I sure don't see how this topic is appropriate here.

I could start a thread on how much of the world is a bunch of EVIL,backstabbing,on the take,cowardly sponges and all they have done to bring down humanity,but why here?

There are many resources to research American history.I submit if you really want 25 good screw ups by the USA it will require more than a few paragraphs by an audio community.Of course in academia I understand that prolly would be sufficient,but here in the REAL world......

yeah, you are right Tom, just look at the hour of my late night rant, in fact many of the awful things we are "good" for the empire

good one on the smoking; we subsidize cigeretttes in WWII, collect taxes off them for decades, protect with Congressional legislation and then turn around sue the companies for misleading us!

Any thing not allowed in food should be allowed in cigerettes!

7.gif

I'm going to go with:

Presuming to think that every other nation or culture in the world wants to have our system of government and our economy, then further presuming to think that we can force it upon them instead of letting it happen from within, as it did with us.

As a corollary to that, the mistaken idea that we can successfully win out over entrenched insurgents in their own country, while still retaining the same ideals we are so eager to espouse.

Oh no, another one: failure to replace the dominant political party and its leaders when they commit us to a ground war in the Middle East and THERE ARE NO WMD!

By the way, lest anyone think otherwise, this is a wonderfully rich and free country! There are no modern industrialized democracies with such a high quality of life in a temperate climate.

1.gif

WOW, Colin, that should just about cover it. I can imagine our young friend's mind just spinning on that one. Only 17, probably heard of 10% of those in history class to date. Browsed the 'where do you work' thread in hopes of a hint, but Colin, where DO you work? Captial building, tenured professor, historian, angry young man?

I'll absolutely echo Colin's list and just toss in my own meager offerings in case you're taking a tally.

Vietnam- getting involved then not kicking their a$$es

Energy- becoming dependent on foreign sources, then not changing our ways

Environment- see energy above, raping the landscape to make up for gas-guzzlers

Religion- allowing more than one of these per country, including ours-kidding- you awake

Civil war- getting involved in anyones that doesn't directly affect our security

Family- dissolution of 'normal' nuclear family thru too many divorces, too little help

Education- not making a real top priority, tommy can't read a job appl. today

Transportation-lack of mass transit in major Am. cities is a crime

Health- food pyramid all wrong, youngsters in front of videos, obesity of America

Welfare-social security was a short term solution that got out of hand

Labor- unions- see welfare. there was a time and a place, not good in modern times.

Some will disagree, we've just been asked to post our own views here.

Good luck with the project, let us know how it turns out. Due to the depth of this material, I might stick with the top 10, otherwise you'll be researching and writing until you're 82. Thank God for the internet.

Michael