Worst Album Ever................

garymd

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, Gary Richrath is incredible, so is Neal Schon. Tommy Shaw is outstanding. A collection without a decent recording of Equinox is inexusable. I started with the original members of Journey back in the early 70's, and even though I wasn't much into most of the lame stuff they put out in the 80's -- I still think Infinity is one of the best Rock albums of all time. Even so, I still dig "Faithfully", and a handful of others when I hear them. Hey, if you haven't dropped a hit of acid and listened through 'Next' for 6 hours straight-- you haven't lived.9.gif

----------------

On 12/9/2004 1:57:54 PM Allan Songer wrote:

Wow. "Blood on the Tracks" is one of my wife's favorite LPs and I have to admit I think it is a really, REALLY fine collection of songs. "Tangled up in Blue" and "You're a Big Girl Now" and "Idiot Wind" come to mind. They are freaking GREAT songs both lyrically and musically I think. As to Bob Dylan's voice--I like to think of it as another instrument in the mix--certianly not PRETTY, but I like it alot--really evocative and I love the way he twists it all around the melody and beat. I think he's great--not my everyday cup of meat, but brilliant.

But t he COOLEST thing about "Blood on the Tracks" is that Dylan had the whole LP "in the can" --recorded with fine studio musicians and DELIVERED to Columbia records. Then at the last minute after listening to the tapes he decided that the album sounded sterile and he went back into the studio with some local unkown musicians in Minnesota and rerecorded the entire LP in about a day and half and released that version instead.

----------------

Yeah, I think I'm the only person I know who doesn't like the album. Everyone else says it's pure genius. That only means one thing. I'm not cultured or mature enough to enjoy pure brilliance...yet.

Nick: No, you're not alone. And it has nothing to do with your age, nor your level of culture or maturity. Basically, Dylan is.....not so good. We simply hold the same opinion, which differs from some others. That's what's so great about music; It's purely subjective. There are no right or wrong answers when fronting a musical opinion.

----------------

On 12/9/2004 4:55:05 PM picky wrote:

Nick:
No, you're not alone. And it has nothing to do with your age, nor your level of culture or maturity. Basically, Dylan is.....not so good. We simply hold the same opinion, which differs from some others. That's what's so great about music; It's purely subjective. There are no right or wrong answers when fronting a musical opinion.
----------------

"Purely" subjective perhaps. But some opinions matter more than others!

Case in point: "Fantasia" will sell more albums today than Bud Powell sold in his entire life.

I have about 600 of the thousand worst albums ever, but before I complete my collection I'm gonna put it at the trash, since I'm moving anyway. Any Dutch bad taste lovers interested? Yes, I have contacted the seller of the mc 30's with my address change, do you think I'm stupid? 9.gif Tim. (it won't be long any more, a few more references to my little stumble and I've completed my therapy).

This is Richrath around '70, pre REO, playing at an outdoor gig at Bradley University in Peoria. Wish I had the Tele he was playing in that pic.

Dean,

I did do a lot of acid in my younger days but never listened to that kind of music for that long at one sitting. 16.gif

gary_w.jpg

----------------

On 12/9/2004 5:36:12 PM Timmikid wrote:

(probably wondering why I had it in my basement to begin with - don't ask).

So why did you have it in your basement?
9.gif2.gif

----------------

Hard to pass up a stack of almost perfect looking LPs at 50 cents a pop. Same old story. Kind of like a disease. Every once in a while I'm pleasantly suprised though which makes it all worthwhile. Also, I was curious about this one in particular since I'd never heard anything he'd ever done. Is it he or it? Back to he these days? Does he still perform or write music? Nevermind. I really don't care anyway.14.gif

Great thread when you look a little deeper. We all have our early influences and guilty pleasures. Styx remains a player in each category for me, unfortunately. What can I say? Single mom, two kids, Gremlin with an 8-track and denim seat covers.... Story of my life. Literally. Thank god "Don't it Make My Brown Eyes Blue" faded quickly from the popular consciousness.

I still (honest to jeebus) remember being 3 years old in the back of the
next
car (a POS Ford LTD), listening to Supertramp, and sincerely asking my mom what "cynical" means. Probaly the coolest thing I've ever said... The lyrics stick with me and have meaning to this day, not that they're a driving force in my life, but still,
"
Now, watch what you say. Or they´ll be calling you a radical... A liberal, oh fanatical, criminal... Oh won´t you sign up your name, We´d like to feel you´re Acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!"
had plenty of impact back then, started the wheels turning, and to this day, I sure won't change the station if it comes on the radio. Might even shush the SWMBO... It's no magnum opus, but it resonates for me.

----------------

On 12/9/2004 1:57:54 PM Allan Songer wrote:

Wow. "Blood on the Tracks" is one of my wife's favorite LPs and I have to admit I think it is a really, REALLY fine collection of songs. "Tangled up in Blue" and "You're a Big Girl Now" and "Idiot Wind" come to mind. They are freaking GREAT songs both lyrically and musically I think. As to Bob Dylan's voice--I like to think of it as another instrument in the mix--certianly not PRETTY, but I like it alot--really evocative and I love the way he twists it all around the melody and beat. I think he's great--not my everyday cup of meat, but brilliant.

----------------

I've never been a Dylan "fan" per se, but "Time Out of MInd" always grabs me.

"Blood on the Tracks" came to me in an LP package, as so much great music does, and I think Bob's vocals from that time do function more as an instrument than a voice. He sure has a lot to say, as he always has and will (other than an obviously involuntary interview courtesy Viacom...) but said lack of "pretty"ness works like Gerry's bari in a Chet Baker ballad. A certain texture among perfection that elevates the song above mere ... oh sht, I don't know... mere art? You get me if you know me...

When we are talking about Fantasia do we mean the Disney film? Both the original and the Fantasia 2000 are favorites of Chuckie at the moment! Best wayto introduce a child to classical up to the moment the Baby Einstein series started - and maybe still the best....

----------------

On 12/9/2004 5:25:44 PM Allan Songer wrote:

"Purely" subjective perhaps. But some opinions matter more than others!

Case in point: "Fantasia" will sell more albums today than Bud Powell sold in his entire life.

----------------

Well said, Allan, my friend. But, in the case of this forum, which was the context of my statement, each of our opinions holds an equal value, thus making your reply above a moot point.

Either someone likes Dylan (or some other artist), or they do not. That makes their opinion neither wrong, nor less important.

{EDIT}: Allan: Sorry if I lost you somewhere in all my ramblings. All I am trying to say is that on this forum, everyone's opinion matters the same amount. Or, at least, it should.

While trying to come up with the worst alblum ever is kind of tough, I can at least opine on the worst alblum I own, not counting Telly Savalas which doesn't even qualify as music. Talk Show by the Stone Temple Pilots minus Scott Weiland. About as generic and uninspiring as you can get. But it was only .25 so no big loss. Probably the worst piece of crap I ever paid full price for was Faith No More's King for a Day, Fool for a Lifetime. Liked a lot of their other stuff, (Woodpeckers From Mars is probably one of the heaviest mind-f**ks ever recorded), but this one just sucked ***. Kilroy was Here by Styx was a close second (but really like Grand Illusion and Pieces of Eight). Anything by Journey. I loathe Journey and anything tangentially related to Journey. Steve Perry's solo "effort" Oh! Sherrie, which played on MTV about every 8 minutes when I was a kid, made want to dig my ear drums out with a plumming snake. Their video game sucked too.

Bruce Sprinstein and John Lennon (solo) are probably the most overrated. Both have done good songs, no doubt, but nothing even resembling anything earth shattering.

Always liked Prince, althogh he's had a very uneven career. Probably my favorite alblum of his is the underrated "Around the World in A Day". Sign o' the Times is pretty good too, although a little too long.

dgb,

The idea of the thread is not the worst album ever. It's the worst album to sell millions of copies. Nothing against Telly but I somewhat doubt he was competing with the Beatles for #1 on the charts.10.gif I've heard that Telly LP. It's right up there with Shatner and Nimoy.2.gif