OT: Is There A Doctor In The House??

fini

No emergency here. I just had one of those "Open MRIs" taking a look at my lower back. Very interesting experience, I must say. The technician was more than willing to show me the images he'd taken. Amazing stuff. Of course, we both knew he was not in a position to interpret or diagnose, but he pointed out the (obvious) source of my pain. Two of the discs were VERY thin, and bulging into the spinal cord area. Makes my back hurt (worse) just thinking about it...

They say the films are mine. I might just post a few shots when I get 'em, just for hoots. Might make an interesting new avatar...

Oh, this is audio related. They played music in the room (which was overwhelmingly drowned-out by the machine's grinding, thumping, and bumping.

• Moderators

I had the same procedure about a year and a half ago (after a car accident--someone rear-ended me), and they discovered a similar problem to yours. I had a disc bulging out of the spinal column and pressing against my sciatic nerve--that was some PAIN! I opted for the chiropracter instead of surgery. Was a much longer recovery, but worked out well.

The pictures were very cool 1.gif

----------------

On 12/10/2004 9:27:22 AM Amy Unger wrote:

I had the same procedure about a year and a half ago (after a car accident--someone rear-ended me), and they discovered a similar problem to yours. I had a disc bulging out of the spinal column and pressing against my sciatic nerve--that was some PAIN! I opted for the chiropracter instead of surgery. Was a much longer recovery, but worked out well.

The pictures were very cool
1.gif
----------------

Amy-did your back bother you during your pregnancy very much? My wife had problems with her tailbone after delivery-I guess sometimes they will crack due to the pressure etc. And how's that baby, by the way?!

David

• Moderators

Not to get WAY off topic, but... 2.gif

It didn't bother me until the last couple of weeks, actually. I didn't get very big until right at the end (then had a 9 lbs + baby!!).

He's doing just fabulous, thank you for asking. He's laughing now, and starting to roll around. I can't remember what I did without him, and don't really want to.

Steven2.jpg

post-4329-13819259824538_thumb.jpg

I have had back problems for 25 years. I had an open MRI just 2 weeks ago. They found slight bulging in 2 discs and a thicking of ligiments and tendons. These are pressing on the nerves to my right leg. Nothing they can do realy, just streching and pain killers. It isn't near bad enough to operate on. I know exactly what you are talking about and how it feels. If you need to talk, PM me.

Amy, that kid is so cute, (I am not a big baby fan, cept for my own 2.gif ) that I just KNOW the mother HAS GOT TO BE A KNOCK OUT!10.gif

I just had a PETscan Wednesday. This is similar to a CATscan but much better. A PETscan can actually see living cancer cells & is the future for cancer diagnosis. The way it works is that they inject you with radioactive glucose which will attach itself to the cancer cells since they are the "hungry" cells. The tech made a copy of the cd for me & when I pick it up next week, maybe I'll post a pic (if possible).

• Moderators

----------------

On 12/10/2004 11:30:42 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

Hey Amy, lets keep it CLEAN. We'll have no discussions about rear-ending here! This an AUDIO FORUM LOL.

Baby's cutie. Wait til you see the photos I take of him!

yer bud Michael
----------------

LOL, Michael 1.gif

Sorry about that ... didn't mean to offend!

You'll be familiar with the area, though... I was stopped northbound on Allisonville Rd at the 126th St stoplight during rush hour. Some guy in a big work truck seemed to think he didn't need to stop, slammed into the car behind me, which hit me, and I hit the guy in front of me. It was quite the mess, and held up traffic forever.

Was not fun, and I'm completely paranoid when stopped in traffic now...esp on interstates.

Hey fini

The open MRIs are great - it's a huge difference from the claustrophobia engines that we've been using for years. There are a variety of different treatments for slipped disks, so you shouldn't worry too much. My dad had a disk problem, and eventually he had to have it repaired, but he's doing fine now, heavy lifting and all.

They're putting in a new MRI here at the medical center. The 30-ton monster will be able to output a magnetic field of 7 tesla, which is equivalent to 140'000 times the Earth's magnetic field. There are only a handful of these machines in the world, so it should be an awesome tool for clinical research. The resolution that high-field MRIs put out is so much better than the standard diagnostic units, however the huge (>$10M) price tag make these prohibitively expensive to be used in everyday situations, at least for now. The thing will use about 300 miles of superconducting wire in its electromagnets, and can levitate small organic objects. They brought in 420 tons of 2" thick steel sheets, which they'll use to shield the machine and its operating area, because in an unshielded configuration it would collapse the metal frame of the building if it's turned on!

And Amy - that's a very pretty baby!

----------------

On 12/10/2004 9:03:10 AM fini wrote:

They say the films are mine. I might just post a few shots when I get 'em, just for hoots. Might make an interesting new avatar...

----------------

Hey fini, I feel I do not know you well enough to be crackin' backbone jokes, and actually hope that anything wrong, is a quick and easy fix for you. 16.gif

My back problems have been going on a long time, and they're job-related. Seems to have gotten worse over the past few months (what a surprise that that's concurrent with an increased level of stress, eh?). The "injury" occurred back in '99. They did x-rays then, but no MRIs (except on my knee. Ended up with VERY successful arthroscopic surgery to repair a torn meniscus). Anyway, since then it's been a matter of treating the pain, but that's getting worse. I ran across some info on Disc Replacement Surgery, which sounds interresting. Unfortunately, I have problems with more than one disc. Mabe I could get some sort of combo surgery: a disc replacement here, some fusing there, a cute little laminectomy around the edges...

----------------

On 12/10/2004 12:12:54 PM meuge wrote:

Hey fini

The open MRIs are great - it's a huge difference from the claustrophobia engines that we've been using for years. There are a variety of different treatments for slipped disks, so you shouldn't worry
too much
. My dad had a disk problem, and eventually he had to have it repaired, but he's doing fine now, heavy lifting and all.

They're putting in a new MRI here at the medical center. The 30-ton monster will be able to output a magnetic field of 7 tesla, which is equivalent to 140'000 times the Earth's magnetic field. There are only a handful of these machines in the world, so it should be an awesome tool for clinical research. The resolution that high-field MRIs put out is so much better than the standard diagnostic units, however the huge (>$10M) price tag make these prohibitively expensive to be used in everyday situations, at least for now. The thing will use about 300 miles of superconducting wire in its electromagnets, and can levitate small
organic
objects. They brought in 420 tons of 2" thick steel sheets, which they'll use to shield the machine and its operating area, because in an unshielded configuration it would collapse the metal frame of the building if it's turned on!

And Amy - that's a very pretty baby!

----------------

Is it those new GE MRI that scan in less then 60 seconds? with three dimensional imagining?

Also BTW that figure you say above 10 million is way off. A standard MRI machine is about 10 million or so. The new GE machines are upwards of 100 million and up

Amy,

That is one cute kid, what precious a smile.

Fini,

I feel your pain I have a compressed disk between L2/L3. It is an old injury that flares up periodically, been to see the surgeon a couple times but they say they won't consider surgery until the pain in my legs gets worse that the pain I experience in my back. ???!???!