Deang

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dean,

Write Mark to do some field testing on a Cherry prototype. With the variety of amps you have sampled, and you have rid yourself of the Quads... go figure 6.gif... you might as well reconcile yourself to buy the last power amp you'll ever want. And I don't mean that to be funny, bro. It is the natural progression of things after stepping up to the 2003 Khorns. 3.gif

Hi Dean,

Have you ever considered running a pair of KT-88 Based amps in Triode mode? I have my Dynaco's running Valve Art KT-88's in triode and they sound wonderful. Plenty of juice, heck more juice than Ill ever need on my RF-7's and they flat out jam on Rock, Jazz, classical. Very clean bottom end, smooth highs and clear and wide soundstage :)

a used tenor 15watt amp can be found for less than $9k, when they come up (rarely, I assume this is many people´s last amp).

BUDGET?

tony

BTW I forgot to mention the Krell FPB-200 or 300 (around $3k used), I heard this recently in my system with my klipschorns and it was arguably the best sound ever in my system (though I stayed with my PP 2A3 and am quite happy)

----------------

On 12/13/2004 3:42:44 PM sunnysal wrote:

a used tenor 15watt amp can be found for less than $9k, when they come up (rarely, I assume this is many people´s last amp).

BUDGET?

tony

----------------

I've seen some units go for 5 to 6K. At those prices, it's a no brainer.

For someone with a spare 5-6K to sink into a pair of used monoblocks that is.

But in my opinion, the Tenor will make most other amplifiers I know of sound like a mere Fisher Price toy by comparison.

----------------

On 12/13/2004 3:42:44 PM sunnysal wrote:

BUDGET?

tony

BTW I forgot to mention the Krell FPB-200 or 300 (around $3k used), I heard this recently in my system with my klipschorns and it was arguably the best sound ever in my system (though I stayed with my PP 2A3 and am quite happy)

----------------

Guys - he said earlier that 2500 is about max.

----------------

On 12/13/2004 3:54:17 PM mobile homeless wrote:

That's why yours have been under your bed for three years...

kh----------------

The only thing under my bed is a half-read Tom Wolfe book (Charlotte Simmons) that I gave up on last week. I love Tom Wolfe, but this one is pretty hard to take. Thanks for the "under the bed" comment though, 'cause I need to reach under there and give it that old college try and get through the last 300-odd pages before I completely lose interest. "Bonfire" it 'aint.

What's under your bed, Kelly?

Good to have you back here, by the way.

Dean, figured you need a good laugh, so here's my answer to your request...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3280&item=5737944003&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

These monoblocks can be switched to triode mode, but I suppose they're not what you have in mind. Lam will build you a custom PP 300B if you request it I'm sure, but you'll have to wait a year for shipping...

Dean:

Why not consider JFL's new PP2A3 amp? It looks to be an incredibly straight forward design, and based on how good the Horus is, I have no doubt that the PP amp is a great performer. Granted, it may not be what you are looking for in terms of the kind of muscle you've been accustomed to, but PP 2A3s should be really great with Klipschorns. It would make for a really project.

If you don't have Greenlee punches, I could loan you mine for the big holes needed. One of my big punches for the under chassis 4 pin socket is a little dull, but I've got another one that should be fine.

The think the Horus or some other Parafeed design would be cool, but can be just a bit expensive. My Hori have a few modifications, but they are really clean and transparent sounding amps; and if not being asked to provide power to a really large room, have more than enough output for an average sized listening area.

PP triodes might be a better way to go for you, though. You certainly have the soldering experience to DIY! Why not give it a shot!?

Erik

Holy smokes Batman, Kelly posted...and a short one at that. Nice to see you are well Kelly.

Dean without amps, that is no big supprise. I had someone "Albert Porter" reccomend an Audio Reseach 70 to me at one time. I never saw any listings to know the topology. I assume it is PP. I am sure some of you have heard of Albert. Nice rig Albert he has.

How about monoblock Transcedent T16s? Or start off with one (15w) at less then half your budget and if it doesn't have enough power get another and turn them into monoblocks? Should be easy enough to resell them as a pair of monoblocks or as two seperate amps as needed, esp. if you build them yourself.

Shawn