need tube amplifier advice please

Deang

Lord, Dean. May they be a whole heaping different sounding than the Canary but I am guessing it might be more similar than different, unfortunately. Surprised you didnt attempt something else here.

There were some other amps I think might have suited the bill a bit more but you move fast and furious, perhaps Too Fast and Too Furious... Heh. Then again, you have to be true to character here.

Still, those amps get good comments from the loons that decide to write about this stuff but in my view, will leave you wanting yet another change by 3/4 through next year or maybe sooner, this based on your favored music and what you generally look for in an amp. Not trying to burst the excitement here, however. I predict a quality initial impression. Just dont start the "low power and triodes dont do it" thus bringing the clanging of pans and raising of "here Here" pitchforks.

Still, it's fun to change amps. What many seem to miss here is instead of buying the extra gun, SUV, and overstuffed lazyboy, why not have examples of the best of the varieties of amps from an excellent vintage EL-84, quality vintage or modern circuit push-pull mono, and a top notch pair of SET monoblocks to bring you yet another point. Those that only hear VOLUME and distortion and dynamics as the main differences between these topoligies are missing the boat in my view. I vacated this place mainly because the handwriting was on the wall and it was engraved at that. Ultimately, if you have the capital, getting some good representation from the various types is what has made me happy. I have now included digital amps in the mix and alternate between any and all depending on system and mood.

Obviously, the limiting factor might be funds and space here, but I dont think either has to be overextended if doing with care. The used market is a godsend.

Thanks for the Welcome Backs...just stopping by.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

dean, don't let everyone get you down. I, for one, understand completely...it is fun to try out new amps (or cars for that matter) each has its particular graces and demons. I hope you enjoy this new amp. tony

btw add me to the welcome back kelly group, stick around buddy!

I agree that it is fun to switch equipment around.

If only for attempting to hear a difference, then go back to a relaxed listening.

We are all limited by funds, but if you sell a piece of excess gear, put the money in a cookie jar (not literally) and as you do you may find that you can afford a piece you've wanted, even mint used.

Space does get to be a problem though when you are like me. Find a great deal then hold onto it.

Good Luck Dean

Win

Kelly, what exactly do you mean by extra gun? Ain't no such thing as no extra guns! We's needs em all we kin git!!

Guys, I really don't think Dean's chin is too far down on the VAC. I really doubt that he'd buy something without being sure he can turn it back around if he doesn't like it. I'm sure he appreciates all the concern, though.

Well, the VAC 30/30 should keep ol' Dean busy for awhile until he gets another wild hair up his arse and buys 3.5 watt 2A3 SETs (crazy thinkin', isn't it?)...Enjoy the VAC (made by good ol' Florida Crackers)!9.gif

And Kelly, don't be a stranger!2.gif

Ok, so no one took my rec at all. Go to Audiogon and do a user search. Type in "Albert Porter". Check out his system. He may have way too much invested, but you would have to think he knows something. I beleive his jactual job is taking photographs of audio grear. I tried to look up what I believed was his rec from way back and did find "Audio research D90" listed. I have always been curious about his reccomendation. Does any one have knowledge of these older amps?

You guys are a trip. Mark is right, I'm not sitting around worried about it. I think it's funny that some of you think I would drop $2500 on a piece of gear I know nothing or very little about. Well, a year or two ago I would have -- but not now.

If I hadn't of had such a positive listening experience with the Canary, I probably wouldn't have considered this amp. The Canary didn't fall short until hearing it in Paul's cavernous living room, where it performed poorly against Paul's Pilots and Craig's modified Dyancos. However, once back home and into the system -- I thought it sounded very good. The Canary of course was on the RF-7's, BUT NOW I HAVE KLIPSCHORNS.fu2.gif

I really do want to thank everyone for the time taken to make the suggestions, as well as the generous offers. The voiced concerns and jabs are O.K. with me too.

This forum rules.

----------------

On 12/14/2004 10:55:49 AM 3dzapper wrote:

Dean, WOW that is sure a beauty!
3.gif3.gif3.gif

Do you have three strong men and a boy to help you move it? It weighs a whopping 105 pounds. Beautiful!

"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/3030.jpg" border="0">

Rick

----------------

Love at first sight. 3.gif

----------------

On 12/15/2004 4:58:47 AM edwinr wrote:

----------------

On 12/14/2004 10:55:49 AM 3dzapper wrote:

Dean, WOW that is sure a beauty!
3.gif3.gif3.gif

Do you have three strong men and a boy to help you move it? It weighs a whopping 105 pounds. Beautiful!

"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/3030.jpg" border="0">

Rick

----------------

Love at first sight.
3.gif

----------------

Actually, its Love At First Sting 10.gif

Dean,

30 watts per of 300b in class A, I find it difficult to believe it will fall short of your expectations as far as volume and all the attributes that go along with a good tube design. My Mark III's are wired in triode in the corner of a 1500 square foot basement. 100 plus decibels can be accomplished very easily at my seated area about 15 feet back, and not a hint of distortion, just smooth clean sound. I don't think the VAC's will fall short of that.

Tom

You're thinking like me. My room is small, I'm 12 feet back, and only 10 watts separates the QUADs from the VAC. Still, I'm sure to lose the slam the QUADs gave me. What I should get in return is a near perfect midrange, a smoother top end, and better soundstaging.

----------------

On 12/15/2004 3:38:13 PM DeanG wrote:

You're thinking like me. My room is small, I'm 12 feet back, and only 10 watts separates the QUADs from the VAC. Still, I'm sure to lose the slam the QUADs gave me. What I should get in return is a near perfect midrange, a smoother top end, and better soundstaging.----------------

Come on Dean it's not a smoother top end its a ................... 2.gif

Besides by the time you get the VAC you won't remember what the Quad's sounded like anyway LOL !!!!

----------------

On 12/15/2004 4:15:01 PM NOSValves wrote:

----------------

On 12/15/2004 3:38:13 PM DeanG wrote:

You're thinking like me. My room is small, I'm 12 feet back, and only 10 watts separates the QUADs from the VAC. Still, I'm sure to lose the slam the QUADs gave me. What I should get in return is a near perfect midrange, a smoother top end, and better soundstaging.----------------

Come on Dean it's not a smoother top end its a ...................
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/2.gif">

Besides by the time you get the VAC you won't remember what the Quad's sounded like anyway LOL !!!!

----------------

Well, my Dynaco's seem to have a very smooth and clean top end, not harsh at all! I wonder how the 300B will sound compared to my KT-88's in Triode?

Lord, Dean. May they be a whole heaping different sounding than the Canary but I am guessing it might be more similar than different, unfortunately. Surprised you didnt attempt something else here.

"...unfortunately..."? You've heard the 301 MK II as well? I thought it was a fine sounding amp. The only thing the 301 and the 30/30 have in common is the output tube used. If they sound too similiar, then I would have to come back and say something outlandish like, "...from the great similiarity in sound, we can therefore surmise that all 300B PP's sound basically the same." You would of course have to come back and give me the "Julian Hirsch Award" -- which I'm sure you'd waste no time in doing.

In truth, I do expect them to sound similiar, but I think the VAC will do better with the bass and with soundstaging.

There were some other amps I think might have suited the bill a bit more but you move fast and furious, perhaps Too Fast and Too Furious... Heh. Then again, you have to be true to character here.

What would you have suggested?

Still, those amps get good comments from the loons that decide to write about this stuff but in my view, will leave you wanting yet another change by 3/4 through next year or maybe sooner, this based on your favored music and what you generally look for in an amp. Not trying to burst the excitement here, however. I predict a quality initial impression. Just dont start the "low power and triodes dont do it" thus bringing the clanging of pans and raising of "here Here" pitchforks.

The good reviews were a factor. I was also pleased with the fine technical explanations found on their site, as well as their reputation for unrivaled support.

I don't think 30 watts constitutes "low power", at least not from my point of view.

Does Paul have a pitchfork?

Those that only hear VOLUME and distortion and dynamics as the main differences between these topoligies are missing the boat in my view. I vacated this place mainly because the handwriting was on the wall and it was engraved at that.

Well, what I believe is that if your musical tastes run towards Rock and large scale Symphonic Works, and you want to hear these things reproduced in your home at the same levels (and with the dynamics accompanying them) experienced at the live event -- then you are going to need more than 3.5 watts to do it.

I thought you vacated this place because of the "heat". At least, that was the impression I was under.

Come on Dean it's not a smoother top end it's...

...a lack of top end?9.gif Well, this is my last shot at Triode and zero feedback.

Not likely.:)

Well, my Dynaco's seem to have a very smooth and clean top end, not harsh at all! I wonder how the 300B will sound compared to my KT-88's in Triode?

Kind of like melted butter. Quite annoying until you get used to it. I'm using Heritage Erfan -- they need all the help they can get.9.gif

----------------

On 12/15/2004 6:52:20 PM DeanG wrote:

Does Paul have a pitchfork?

----------------

No.

Why shouldn't a gearhead try lots of different gear? I'm surprised you don't check out far more than you do. You buy right and you sell right, so it seems like good clean harmless fun.