need tube amplifier advice please

Deang

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Canary Audio makes some incredibly well made gear I have their 300B SET monoblocks. They also have several 300B Push Pull amps ranging from 22 watts to 80 watts.

300B 22 Watts Push Pull

http://www.canaryaudio.com/301.htm

300B 26 Watts Push Pull

http://www.canaryaudio.com/330.htm

300B 50 Watts Push Pull

http://www.canaryaudio.com/339.htm

300B 80 Watts Push Pull

http://www.canaryaudio.com/Ref-One.htm

Tube rolling may be a bit expensive with the reference one having 8 300B's 3 6SN7's and 1 6SL7 per monoblock wow....

I've always wanted some Quads

11.gif

Guy -- I highly recommend the QUADs with Klipschorns. However, anyone going after a pair needs to make sure they've been modded at the factory to handle the higher voltages from our receptacles. Actually, after I replaced the stock bias resistors with Kiwamis, I never had any more problems. At any rate, even with full disclosure to the buyer, I still managed to get $1900 out them. Not bad considering I originally picked up the amps and QC-24 for $2200. It looks like my cut-off point is $2500 for this purchase -- and it HAS to be something I can unload if it doesn't work out.

Seti -- I actually had the Canary 301-MII in here for a while, and I really liked it. I had considered going back to one but I changed my mind. I had a tube runaway on me, and the damn thing wasn't fused -- so it ended up being my first experience with an amp going up in smoke. An easy fix, but it really toasted the board. The biasing scheme also sucked -- big time. At any rate, the 20 watts of the Canary worked great with my RF-7's in my small room.

Ben -- "Oh, thanks for getting back to me, by the way..." I sense sarcasm. Must be, because I don't know what you're talking about. Do I need to wade through my Bulk Folder? ...MC-30's are too close to what I just moved out of here. I want to try triode with the Klipschorns. I did do triode a couple of times with the RF-7's, but the only thing I've tried with the Klipschorns are the Wright's I borrowed from Dee. 3.5 watts definitely didn't do it for me. I need 20 -- at least 20.

Craig -- VRD's are still in the picture, probably in spring.

Dean-

I wasn't trying to be a prick (though I do have a certain knack). I replied to an email & PM re the tweeter issue I've been having. You had a certain link about the repair. I replied to a few threads, too, but you obviously haven't been on too much. Can't blame you. I wasn't sure if you were overlooking or what... Didn't seem like you, but what do I know?

I had some other questions, too. If you get a chance, drop a line. Sorry if you're buried in mail, and if I took it the wrong way.

Best regards,

Ben

Dean, I don't know whether Unison Research is available in the 'States, but they have a lovely power amplifier duo called the 'Absolute'. Double triode 845 tubes and integrated preamplifier stage. Power output around 40 watts per channel. Might be pricy though. Although Unison Research have a reputation for value for money products.

Dean,

The Oregon Triode Society did an amp project in 2003 which was a 300B push-pull. Ran about 22 watts I think. Had some clever tricks including a constant current power supply. Depending on what you can scrounge up for parts, it costs about $1000 to build one. The plans are posted on the OTS website. Maybe you're not looking for another project but just thought I'd mention it.

Best in horns,

triceratops

----------------

On 12/13/2004 4:13:48 AM edwinr wrote:

Dean, I don't know whether Unison Research is available in the 'States, but they have a lovely power amplifier duo called the 'Absolute'. Double triode 845 tubes and integrated preamplifier stage. Power output around 40 watts per channel. Might be pricy though. Although Unison Research have a reputation for value for money products.
----------------

It costs around $25K.......

dean, budget it the #1 determining factor...how much can you spend? you know that after ALL this experience you need to save up to buy your "last amp"...make this one count...so...budget?

meanwhile here are a few things to chew on.....

1. You have not tried OTL (if I remember correctly) so an Atmasphere S-30 mk II.2 at < $3k could be a good thing to try, many raves for that amp. www.atma-sphere.com

2. VAC makes two nice 300B PP amps, the rennaisance 30/30 and the Phi 30/30 these run $8k and $11k. www.vac-amps.com

3. Perhaps you could coax jeff out of retirement to build you 300b PP monoblocks, you could have these built with best trannies, caps, etc. for less then the VAC offerings...

4. audionote conquest is a PP 300b that is supposed to sound great...$9-11k depending on how silver and teflon used.

5. any used tenor amp...

regards,

tony

tony

Dean, I can recommend the Wright Sound Mono 10's with Khorns without reservation. If you can find a used pair, they should be around $1000 to 1100, no problem reselling to recoup your investment either.

From Wright-Sound.com

"The Mono 10 is our rated at 10 watts RMS, this push-pull, all triode amp has low distortion and high reliability like all Wright Sound products. The amp is based on our popular single-ended designs, with components being changed to optimize this type of operation. The amp runs Class A pp to about 6 watts, Class AB1 through 10 watts, and Class AB2 up to approximately 20 watts peak. The driver (6BL7) is operated as low impedance, high output to handle low mu output triodes (2A3), with a 6SL7 used as a voltage amp/phase inverter. There is no global damping/feedback used, so the sound is fast and accurate by design and with the use of the Magnaquest output transformer.

Rick

----------------

On 12/13/2004 1:51:54 AM DeanG wrote:

Seti -- I actually had the Canary 301-MII in here for a while, and I really liked it. I had considered going back to one but I changed my mind. I had a tube runaway on me, and the damn thing wasn't fused -- so it ended up being my first experience with an amp going up in smoke. An easy fix, but it really toasted the board. The biasing scheme also sucked -- big time. At any rate, the 20 watts of the Canary worked great with my RF-7's in my small room.

----------------

Cool I looked at the 301s on AG but at the last minute it was a pick between an AirTight ATM and the Canary so I went for the CA-300 I even got the rare blue instead of gold.

Runaway tube Wow that sucks so far I have not had any problems so far. I'd really like to hear the Reference One could you imagine 80watts of 300b that one goes in my dream gear list. Good luck....

Always liked the look of Art Audio

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1108061134

If money is an issue some of the gear coming out of hong kong looks decent haven't heard any of it. I think a friend is going to order either a bez or a weaudio amp can't wait to compare to my canary especially since there is such a huge difference in price. Whenever I see that super expensive gear I wonder will it sound $40K better than what I have or like those $500,000 tube monoblocks in stereophile a while back.

Come on, Dean, be our guineau pig. Order a pair of the Wright AU30 PP monos from me. I won't make anything at all off them if I sell 'em to ya for $2500, but I'll do it, just to get a pair into someone from the forum's hands.

AU30 - 300B monoblock, 30wpc RMS. 15-30Khz, 100K nominal input impedance, Zero feedback fixed bias. Oh - and tube rolling is a breeze with a grand total of five tubes on the set.