Dogs - Love em' and Hate em' Todays Horror Story

No Disc

My dog "Bear", a 10 year old Siberian Husky, must of been a bit bored today. He spends his weekdays usually in our downstairs laundry room. There is a small closet in that room that is "Bear's Room". It just so happens that this same room is the backend of where the wiring runs for my home theater. I just knew I should of put up new drywall after running the wires, but I thought to myself, I'll get around to it someday.

Bear decided today it would be a good idea to start tugging and chewing on those wires. He pulled these speaker wire right out from the AV receiver, with some of the jacks still plugged in. After he was finished, what was once a front, left, center channel, and woofer cable, are just tiny bits of shredded wires now. ;-(

I guess I know now what I am doing Christmas day....

Ok, let's hear your dog horror stories. Misery loves company.

No Disc

dogmess.jpg

Look at the bright side. You now get to experiment. When you re-connect all of the wires, you will know if dog slobber improves or impedes the sound going through a wire.9.gif Who knows, maybe there is a future business in this.....

I even have a slogan for you.....

Dogwires... bring out the best in your woofers!

Dog horror stories - not really - but my Belgium Shepherd did manage to chew through a small water pipe feeding the kitchen sink whilst we were out at work.

Got home to find the dogs standing under a small waterfall - somewhat puzzled.

Fortunately there is a stopcock for that pipe separate from the rest of the house - so it was just a case of turning the water off and replacing a single pipe.

Stopping the dog from chewing a pipe / wire or other was relatively easy. 2 words - English Mustard.

Spread a thick coat of mustard over said item and leave with dog having full access. Check ocasionally for signs of teethmarks and slavering dog. Leave for about 24 hours then clean off and re-paint with Mustard.

After the second time you probably wont have to go it again.

Just make sure it is English mustard and not French. French is milder and they like it.

Max....LOL.....now I know what I'll need for Christmas! Luckily my four legged companion is not into wires (at least until know), but papers are always good for ripping apart...especially when he doesn't feel like being left at home on his own....it just might be a bit messy covering them in mustard.... the same applies to video tapes I guess2.gif .

Wolfram

I feel your pain.

About 3 weeks ago I rescued a puppy.

Last Friday night I was watching TV. My 4 year old Lab was sleeping and I was just going to put the puppy in its create and go to bed. I heard some noise and looked up but didnt see the puppy. He was behind the couch. I called him and he had a black disk in his mouth. I couldnt figure out what it was for a couple of seconds and then I thought it cant be. Yep it was. He ate the dust cover off my Cornwall woofer (no pun intended).

Danny

----------------

On 12/21/2004 2:05:39 AM cyclonecj wrote:

Look at the bright side. You now get to experiment. When you re-connect all of the wires, you will know if dog slobber improves or impedes the sound going through a wire.
9.gif
Who knows, maybe there is a future business in this.....

----------------

Thats bloody brilliant cryogenic dog slobber cables.

----------------

On 12/21/2004 10:58:14 AM seti wrote:

----------------

On 12/21/2004 2:05:39 AM cyclonecj wrote:

Look at the bright side. You now get to experiment. When you re-connect all of the wires, you will know if dog slobber improves or impedes the sound going through a wire.
9.gif
Who knows, maybe there is a future business in this.....

----------------

Thats bloody brilliant cryogenic dog slobber cables.

----------------

Woudlnt be the first dog product used in audio. I think I might hold that honour. The isolation ring beneath the platter on my TT is a rubber dog chew!

Think I should patent the idea?

----------------

On 12/21/2004 10:58:14 AM seti wrote:

Thats bloody brilliant

----------------

Thanks....I was still on a high from winning the local Cornwalls. But after a good nights sleep, I thought of a better one, or at least one thats more fitting to this thread....

Dogwires.... The best way to "FEED" your woofers....

My dog horror story:

Left alone in the car one Easter visit to Mom's, they ate the headliner, visors, and seatbelts on my wife's new Buick Century. They had never done anything bad in my Bronco. Cost me almost a grand doing the repairs in my own garage. We started leaving the dogs home after that. They were spitting and sh!tting fiberglass for days.

Rick

In 1980 I had 2 Scottie/Poodle mix puppies. They stayed in the kitchen when I was out of the house. I also had a small Kenwood receiver built-in below a kitchen counter which was connected to a small set of speakers above a small eating nook. One Saturday morning I went to the store, and when I returned home, I heard FM white noise from the speakers. I couldn't understand how this happened, as the receiver was off when I left. Well, when I went to turn it off, the knob was missing... actually all 5 metal push-on knobs were gone... nowhere to be found! Fearing the worst, I called the vet. He laughed, and told me about a dog who swallowed a spark plug, and how he watched it go thru his intestines with x-rays. Well, the next day I watched as the runt of the litter did a little dance, around and around, and low and behold... I got all the knobs back!!! That receiver was sold the following week!

Happy Holidays, and thanks for starting a great thread!

Our (wife and kids, not mine) new Collie pup has eaten through most of the screens on the porch (fiberglass not metal), and loves Lego's. To top it off, the other night it got into the teens here so I bought a couple of those styrofoam covers for the outside hose bibs. The next afternoon when I got home the one for the backyard was all over the backyard. The replacement was rigid plastic, so far so good.

Had a rescued German Shepard who made short order of all the weather stripping in the car. Problem, of course, was that it was a company vehicle. Blamed it on vandals, probably on LSD given the well evident teeth tracks.2.gif

No Disc:

Maybe if Bear had a nice rug to sooth over that concrete basement slab he might be less inclined to renovate your wiring??9.gif

In his younger years, my Rottweiler Adolph became overly fond of our TV remote. This was his "teeth growing, need to chew" stage that most dogs go through. Needless to say the remote didn't stand a chance. As I recall, the largest piece left was about 2 inches. Well, paybacks being what they are, I got the last laugh the day we went to the vets. for a doggie "clipping" ......... yip! Carl.

There were rugs in there, I pulled them out of when trying to ascertain damage.

The real reason he did what he did was to get out of the room. The wires were going through a small 2 inch hole. Well that was enough in his mind as an escape route. All the wires that ran through that hole were destroyed, others, like the power cord (fortunately for him ) went though a different hole.

Today Bear spent hits day in the Garage, so we will see how that turns out.

No Disc

----------------

On 12/21/2004 2:50:35 PM oscarsear wrote:

No Disc:

Maybe if Bear had a nice rug to sooth over that concrete basement slab he might be less inclined to renovate your wiring??
9.gif

----------------

Oscar

Max,

One concern.... How will the English Mustard effect the sound quality? Will it give the sound a British flavor?

----------------

On 12/21/2004 3:19:42 AM maxg wrote:

Stopping the dog from chewing a pipe / wire or other was relatively easy. 2 words - English Mustard.

----------------