Handmade Electronics?

Marvel

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is from THL Audio's website in Taiwan:

INQUIRY & QUOTE:

*Please send inquiry or specify item number or quantity that you are interested in pricing. Upon receipt of your inquiry, we will send you price or Proforma Invoice. Please advise also product's code number to help us replying swiftly. We do not promise to reply to a broad question or inquiry.

*All quotes are based on currency of NT$ (New Taiwan Dollar, or refer it as TWD, Taiwan New Dollar) unless specified. You can get the conversions for local currency to NT$ or TWD from xe.com's service.

I bought 3 of their polished R3825R champagne finished knobs for my amp and preamp; they were $17 each, but well made and worth it to me.2.gif Received them 8 days after order was filled!

Mike: Thanks for having a look. That's actually a preamp, built and modified from the schematic of an AES preamp. It was out of the system for a bit while I was using Shawn's Lexicon.

Jim: you said, "...they were $17 each, but well made and worth it to me."

I think this is really what matters in ALL of this. Even if someone is willing to pay lots for nice machined face plates, etc., that is entirely their business. The knobs do look good, by the way!

Hey, I can't afford a VAC either! In fact, I can't afford any of this crazy sh!t.

That amp looks really interesting, and the price is insane. It has a real preamp section, and the whole thing is completely choked out. The 20 watts is good, and will keep The Parrot at bay.9.gif

Very Clean!

One great way to save cost on something like this is to use solid state rectification for both B+ and heater supplies, which, having looked at the schematic, is what appears to be the case. SS diodes can sometimes provide tighter, perhaps more ample bass response, especially if used in conjunction with hefty storage capacitance on the output of the power supply. With SS diodes, a smaller power transformer can be used since a high-current filament winding isn't needed, and there is also less heat generated overall, possibly providing a few extra years to parts that may be heat sensitive. The amp I'm building right now does use tube rectification for B+, however does use full-wave bridge solid state devices for the DC heaters in both the driver stage and 2A3 outputs.

He doesn't use shielded cable (from what I can see) for input wiring, which should probably be fine, given the fact that the power supply is carefully placed on the opposite side of the chassis.

For the cost it looks incredible!

Erik

The "Music Angel" is a good-looking amp and seems to have some nice parts here and there. Its set up for 220v so be aware that it must be converted or you'll need to add a step-down transformer. I wonder where they got the metal-based 6SN7s - it looks like a "J" or "Y" branding on the base. In my experience, 845 amps have great detail and energy but the transformers must be exceptional and have good frequency range or the bass will be boomy and lack the finesse of their lower-power SET brethren. Also, the 845 tubes use very high voltages across the plates and run very hot (you can read by the light they emit). Another consideration is the noise - the company specs give a 89dB S/N ratio but those high voltages in a circuit with no negative feedback usually find their way to sensitive speakers like Klipsch. Have fun, -Bryan