It's EVERYWHERE, Klipsch/Yamaha"bright" Paradigm/NAD, Denon "warm"

gibby214

First Off, I love my Klipsch. Being I want perfection, I have doubted my reciever (amp) and room acoustics etc... It is not hard to find internet forums on many sites, beating up on Klipsch for being bright and have listener fatigue. The same with Yamaha espesially when paired together. Just slamming my setup down.

Is this talk just something that snowballed by those who like brand x or what? Klipsch is probably an easy target because of the unique horn.

Comments to my frustration

Everyone has their own opinion, if it sounds good to you, that's all that matter, don't worry what others say about your setup. Some people love Klipsch (us) and others hate them. Buy what makes you happy, I personally don't like Yamaha, but others don't like Rotel, Denon, Pioneer, B&K, HK, etc, etc.

Well....I personally think Yamaha is a little bright w/Klipsch.On the other hand,with a more laid back speaker they may sound quite smooth.Of course this is also just an opinion of how I hear things,someone else could just as easily think Klipsch and Yamaha is a great combo,its all subjective.

You should always audition any gear you buy against other suppliers in that price so you always get the one that sounds best to you,not others.Once you do that you eliminate buyers remorse and upgradeitis,at least for a reasonable lenght of time.2.gif

As to the Klipsch haters,well.....theres just no explaining some things.BUT,I'll try...Klipsch requires at least a good front end and source,they are not very forgiving but can be very involving.

Thanks for the comments. I have to agree with you it is all subjective. My big question is. Can't the brightness, or warmness be changed somewhat by an internal equalizer and or bass/treble controls. Or is there a long answer involving Ohms and Power and Amps.?

For those who know about Yamaha----Isn't that YPAO room optimizer supposed to make the speakers/system sound flat?

gib

If it sounds good to you, that's what matters. If heard reviews that refer to bright as a positive attribute. When I go to any live concert, I never leave thinking that it sounded warm (though I don't go to jazz concerts). Don't change your combo unless you find something that sounds better to you.

The better Klipsch speakers produce a sound that some people describe as "live." I like live music as long as the music does not damage my hearing. Some folks do not like the live sound which is ok. Some folks think that music should sound like a Bo$e wave radio. To each his own.

Folks that carry on about how bad Klipsch sounds usually have an agenda. If they merely state that they prefer other brands, that is more likely a simple statement of personal preference which is ok in a free country.

Most knowledgeable folks will NOT diss the Klipschorn, even if it is not their favorite speaker. Only the ignorant diss the Khorn. The Khorn is frequently used as the gold standard for speakers. Some folks prefer platinum.

Bill

I see this on forums a lot. I am in the Yamaha+Klipsch camp. I love the way my setup sounds on music and movies. As far as Klipsch bashing and people with agendas. That's why this forum is the only one I read. I got tired of people talking other people out of Klipsch because that person didn't like them.

I have had 2 Yamaha receivers w/ my Klipsch, and I wouldn't describe either as being bright. Back in the day, 8 years ago, it was my Yamaha RX-V890. Then an upgrade to the RX-V2095. Both sounded great with a plethora of Klipsch products. Then I got on the "separates" kick and the Yamaha was relegated to the bedroom system.

I own a yamaha klipsch setup, and yes i think it is a little bright. but my setup's brightness is just not the reciver it is a combination of cd player and reciever. i use my dvd player and it is not as bright, but i do not like the sound of the dvd player. All i do is tone it down a little with the treble knob and it is just fine. Oh and it also depends on the series of klipch you are using. My klf series is much brighter then my heritage or refernce series. the heritage series are the smoothest of all, but i find then are not as good for rock as my klf series.

I frequent 4 or 5 forums and generaly do not run into anyone bashing Klipsch. I do read that Klipsch is "bright" and I read that Yamaha is "bright" and they generaly are not the best combo, but as has been stated there are many that like the combination. I had a Yami with my RF-7's initially and it was very harsh to my ears so I upgraded to Rotel.

I especially have never read anyone putting down the Klipsch Referance or heritage line of speakers.

If by bright anyone assumes that is a put down then I would disagree. That is more a way of defining the tonal quality of a speaker. Efficiant is another adjective used to describe Klipsch, no one seems to have a problem with that one.

As most have said here...it's a matter of taste. What may be a bit "bright" or "warm" to me, the next person to listen may disagree.

This audio lingo (bright/warm) cracks me up sometimes....9.gif

In my family room, the sound varies greatly on the recording quality. Some recordings sound PERFECT to me, while others sound very bad. Thats just the way it goes with "revealing" gear. (oops..more lingo)

Take care

Mike

Everyone has made some valid points. First of all, I used to own RB-75s, and they sounded to my ears to be more forgiving than some other Klipsch speakers - related to brightness. I really like that particular version of the 1.75 compression driver - even more so than the one in the RC-7 and RF-7. So, you may be pretty happy with your current Klipsch/Yamaha combination. Congrats on your RB-75s because they are an underappreciated Klipsch speaker.

But...you mentioned perfection. I would guess that the variety of negative Klipsch/Yamaha comments come from two camps. Those of us who initially ran Klipsch speakers by Yamaha receivers and at extreme volumes, the titanium tweeters sounded like cutting glass (generally - mostly for music). Others simply repeat what they have heard from others on Klipsch/Yamaha being not the best combination.

When you hear negative comments about Klipsch/Yamaha from former owners of that combination, I would guess that the majority of those former owners are not really espousing that comment because of a general preference (or advocacy) for another brand, but rather we have made a long journey of several, several upgrades, working towards "perfection" and that combination was just a stop on the way. In my case, I used to run a Yamaha 1300 for music on my primary system, and now it resides in my family room - currently running other Klipsch and playing "Toy Story 2" for my family. As for your mentioning NAD, I can tell that a NAD amp runs my Vertical Cornwall pretty nicely for a SS amp (in my primary system).

As for the knocks by some on Klipsch speakers, I agree with others that it comes from ignorance. That is, the vast majority of the public have not heard Klipsch speakers run by the "nice stuff," whether that be a high-end receiver, quality separates or tubes. 1.gif Instead, they have only heard Klipsch speakers set up in HT systems in your local hi-fi store, and frankly most of those setups use mass-market receivers. That's fine for movies, but when the public demos some music, especially at higher volumes, they hear some brightness or forwardness - and that turns them off. And they don't get it.

The bottom line is that if you are pretty happy with your setup - enjoy it. If you want perfection, then be prepared to upgrade and maybe keep doing so. Some of our suggestions about receivers and amps are usually worthwhile but then again, as you have heard, there are Klipsch owners who love the Yamaha combination. So yes, it is a matter of taste. Best advice - take home and try it before you buy (or be able to return it) or as a third option, take your RB-75s to the store with you. That's what I did when demoing separates.

Carl.

----------------

On 1/22/2005 12:06:05 AM gibby214 wrote:

Do your guys dealers let you bring components home to demo? Say a $1000-$1500 Denon, Marantz, NAD, Rotel Reciever etc...

And would I notice any big difference?

----------------

Yes,my dealer lets me bring home anything they have for a demo

I run the synergy series speakers with a Yamaha RX-V730 and found the set-up not as bright as when I ran my speakers with my old Pioneer Elite receiver. I had to move my speakers further from the wall and play around with the receiver set-up but now they sound fine. To each their own but I have listened to Klipsch speaker through several receavers and have yet to find a difference. Your speaker set-up has more to do with their sound then any receaver, cable wire, etc.,

Guest Anonymous

the room equlizer that is built in the YAOP or whatever only adjusts the individual level of each speaker, it is basically an spl meter that does everything for you, traditionally they make a little improvment but not as much as if you just have an spl meter and do it yourself, it is not going to make your speakers sound flat, but it may make them sound better because they will be adjusted to a more precise level

I like Marantz better than Yamaha because it is a lot smoother. I am however saying this because I only tested my Yamaha HT receiver vs my 5 channel Marantz amp. I do not think that is the best test. The more expensive Yamahas seem to be better from others reviews. My HT sounds edgy, not a sound I am fond of.