Has anyone felt this way?

fyremarble

Hello again from a friendly female audophile. I was wondering if i'm the only one who does this. I was playing Kingdom Hearts, well i was going to but in the mean time i was listening to the title screen song and if you wait a bit this other song and some visuals play. Very instrumental and very dynamic. After it was over i thought i had never heard something so beautiful come out of my speakers, so much so i found myself crying in wondering awe. It was like realiseing at that moment that thats all i really wanted from my speakers, was clean sound that makes my heart soar and they gave it to me. I don't know if anybody else has had an expirience like this. I tried to share the expirience with one of my brothers by having him listen to the song, but all he had to say afterward was "Its loud." I felt like doing a Homer Simpson and reach out and start choking him, but i figured he probably said that because he doesn't get it. He doesn't understand that better speakers make your music sound better. Anyway i digress. Has anyone here felt this way? Thanx In advance.5.gif12.gif

Yes, certain songs played back on my system will sometimes have that affect. I have honestly sat there in disbelief at what I was hearing because it was so distinct, but so real it just kind of affects your emotional state. Especially if it is a song that triggers certain memories that you have.

Sometimes it sounds so good I can't believe that it is mine and I just sit there and smile with a grin from ear to ear. I think that is the point where you have truly reached sonic nirvana so sit back and enjoy!

I also agree with Frzninvt (and it's not just a "chick" thing, and yes, real men do cry).

It's happened to me on occasion...Years ago when my folks still lived in Florida, my dad and I put together a small home recording studio for the 19 rank residence pipe organ my dad had built for our house back in '83. We spent countless months perfecting and editing classical organ compositions through a Cakewalk music sequencer program, laying down tracks through a Roland sound module, and routing the MIDI files to a Devtronics MIDI device built into the pipe organ's relay system; in essence our PC was acting like a digital "player piano", playing works by Bach, Franck, and Widor through the organ's MIDI controller like a "live" organist was performing them at the organ's console...the "live" organist was the both of us programming all the music on the computer's keyboard since neither of us can really play the organ (we're not musicians, but we wish we were).

When we finished with the hundreds of organ pieces we compiled, we decided to make a master DAT recording of the organ playing back some choice selected works (to show off the organ's many voices and tonal colors, hoping to someday have a finished CD made). One piece I was particularly impressed with was one I worked on exclusively, Cesar Franck's romantic "Grande Piece Symphonique" in F Sharp Minor, Opus 17, composed ca. 1862, and is about 22 minutes long (took me about 3 months to arrange, edit, finalize, and download into a MIDI file). Once the entire DAT was mastered, we rerecorded several finalized C90 cassette tapes with the proper arrangements for a future CD, with my favorite Opus 17 concluding the selection. It was the longest composition we recorded, using every stop on the organ either as a solo voice or in an ensemble, with portions of the work only using one or two subtle ranks, and others using full organ (all 19 ranks)...a very moving, expressive work with lots of feeling typical of the Romantic period. As I placed the cassette tape into my Nakamichi and pressed "play", I wasn't "moved" until I heard the final chords of Opus 17 in all it's full-blown glory! As the piece ended, I had tears streaming down my face...It was a very moving moment for me, knowing all the time I spent arranging and editing this work, setting the tempo and the registration, etc. Plus it's my most favorite organ composition, so after hearing it played back near live levels through my Cornwalls sounding almost as "live" as when we recorded it, well...it touched me.

Sorry for the long post...it almost brought a tear to my eye just writing this!5.gif

Been there myself and not ashamed to say so. My wife and daughter sometimes can not believe I can sit listening for over an hour without even moving. I sort of get in a daze and everything but the music just dissappears. Not asleep but not quite completely awake either. Hard to describe.

----------------

On 1/30/2005 4:09:06 PM garymd wrote:

Not asleep but not quite completely awake either. Hard to describe.

----------------

I can relate entirely. There's no better way to describe it. You're basically trapped in some twilight zone void that exists between consciousness and unconsciousness.

Gary,

I'm with you. I do the same thing. My wife and kids know that I like to take a couple of hours every weekend just to listen to music. and they don't bother me. One of the advantages of having no windows in my HT room is I can control the lighting. I too sit back, close my eyes and let myself just become part of the music. I always come away fresh, and with a great attitude :)

The problem with the majority of music listners is there stero or HT it's used as background music most of the time. They never really spend the time to listen. Now the mp3 market is hot and heavy and I think many people have become use to the compressed sound.

We are fortunate that we understand and appreciate our systems and ears. This is not to say that we, that spend time here with our friends are the only ones that do this. I would venture to guess if you took all of the people that listen to music only about 10% really take the time to listen and become envolved in the music.

But then again I could have my foot in my mouth 2.gif

----------------

My wife and daughter sometimes can not believe I can sit listening for over an hour without even moving. I sort of get in a daze and everything but the music just dissappears. Not asleep but not quite completely awake either. Hard to describe.
----------------

Very well put, Gary. It's almost like something between conciousness and dreaming, I think. Wonderful state to be in.

Fyre,

For me; This is not just a chick thing and does not necessarily have anything to do with a great cut. I am a "salty old construction stud" 55 years of age. Please don't laugh, but tears often well up in my eyes when the recording and the reproduction is great. Some men cry at their first glance of the Grand Canyon. If we can't show emotion in the presents of great beauty,...then we have hearts of stone.

Thats right boys..IB so in touch with me feminine side. 2.gif

Terry

----------------

Been there myself and not ashamed to say so. My wife and daughter sometimes can not believe I can sit listening for over an hour without even moving. I sort of get in a daze and everything but the music just dissappears. Not asleep but not quite completely awake either. Hard to describe.

----------------

Doc, is that state of mind like chemicals some of us took in the 60's? (I saw the Pyramids..but never left the farm) 14.gif Just kidding. The music takes control.

Become emotional listening to music? Yes absolutely - that is my acid test for any system I own. My Cornwalls have done that for me MANY times, but certainly not every time I listen. Live music will tend to move me in my spirit the most, but Klipsch does a good job. A lesser system just can't get there.

To be moved deeply in your spirit by music is a uniquely human, beautiful experience.

Andy

----------------

On 1/30/2005 6:25:06 PM dougdrake wrote:

Also, listening to some tracks from Transiberian Orchestra does that to me also (but that could be the subject matter).

----------------

Perhaps, but you are not the only one that experiences such with TSO tracks. Track #2, "The Lost Christmas Eve" on thier latest album really gets me.

Also, Nightwish tracks does the same, especially Track #10, "Dead Boy's Poem", on Wishmaster. Really hauntingly beautiful, but sad, track. One of those "you gotta hear it yourself" type things.

I do agree. You know you got a good system when you can sit there like that in awe and just be amazed at the beauty of music that comes out.

Funny I've heard those same two tracks on other systems (including one that is twice as expensive as my own setup), and they just ddidn't move me like they did when produced on my full-sized Klipsch system.

The only exception was when I saw TSO live. Now, that was a truly incredible, and moving, experience!

Frye, First; congrats, you obviously "Get It". Second, and at the risk of sounding like a sexist pig, I have met very, very few women who do. My experience has been most women perceive music as a background to a party, club scene, something to pass time in the car, etc. and do not think much else about it. Call it like nirvana, dream state, whatever, I just don't know if I have met many females who have experienced this. Maybe we are just wired differently. Anyway, glad you "get it". Enjoy.

Well guys, we're really letting the cat out of the bag on this one. Music, it seems, does tame the savage 'beast' within us. Many times I have been moved to tears, not just by the technical virtuosity of the human endeavor of playing an instrument in the finest fashion, or having fantastic technique or recording skills, but sometimes just a vocal line, series of chords or grand or tender gesture during the music just strikes that 'chord' within me that unleash the flood gates.

I recall one outdoor concert by John 'Cougar' Mellencamp at the Indiana State Fairgrounds one summer. It had been a terrible drought that year and I was living near my grandfather, a farmer. The line in the song came something about "the rains that came last summer weren't enough to grow the crops", and all the farmers were losing their land to the banks. I started crying, then just shaking, thinking of the horror of the loss of family farms all over the midwest that year. My brother consoled me, and wouldn't you know, it rained to beat the band that night!

Sometimes it's in the car, sometimes at home. Never know when the magic will strike. I thinks it's important to be open enough to feel these very real feelings when they occur. I've cried at the opera, rock concerts, even hearing a small child sing the 'Star Spangled Banner' before a ball game. And ALWAYS when Jim Nabors sings "Back Home Again in Indiana' before the start of the Indy 500- ALWAYS!

Michael