Klipshorn Speaker Kit - build your own??

KathyMason

Looks like Klipsch has jumped the price of the Klipschorn's from

$5,000.00 to $7,500.00 in such a short time. $2,500.00 jump

just because you have to special order it now.

Some guys were telling me that I could build my own from a kit.

My brother said if I get the kit, he would build it for me because

the materials used in the Klipschorn don't even come near the

cost that Klipsch ask for them that it would be better for him

to build it for me, plus he loves to build things, he is very

good with carpentry work and has made me some beautiful bedroom

dressers 4 years ago.

Can anyone tell me how I get the kit or where to order from so

I can let him start building me a pair of Klipshorn want-a-bees?

Thanks, Kathy

Klipsch never offered a kit for the K-Horn. In the very distant past he would sell plans. That was during the 1950s to my knowledge. (Does anyone out there have some to lend me?)

OTOH, at one time Cabinart had a kit for the Rebel-Short horn. Again that was very long ago.

There were two organizations selling kits of their variations of the K-Horn.

One was SpeakerLab in Seattle. Some were MDF some were fir ply.

The midrange was fiberglass at one point and cast metal at another.

The tweeter was their own cheapo horn or a T-35.

The crossover did not have an autotransformer. Some had L-Pads, others three position switches.

The woofer unit was evidently inferior to the K-33. Bruce Edgar had written that you could solve it's problems by taking a large hammer to it and putting the pieces in the trash.

The midrange unit was an Atlas (or looks like it) which may have been fairly close to one PWK was using.

You can find plans on e-bay from time to time. The compound angles are a bear to cut.

It looks like PWK sued SpeakerLab for trademark infringement over there TM "SpeakerLab-K". After that they no longer offered the kit or parts.

The other "copier" was ARC in Switzerland. I don't know much about the merits of that. They called it an eck-horn. (Corner horn in German.)

The only other source of cutting plans is for the EV Georgian which was a licensed unit. They also had a bigger version called the Patrician. Plans for that appeared in Audio Magazine.

I've built a pair from the SpeakerLab plans but with 3/4 inch ply. Don't do it unless you're very determined and want absolutely to do it on principle.

Real K-Horns pop up on e-bay from time to time. The increasing prices of new ones probably are driving the price of used ones upwards. None the less, they are there.

I'd say that you're far better off getting a part time job flipping burgers and put it into a used set, rather than building. It'll take less time. Edit: And you get free food.

Gil

If you have patience its better to wait and pounce on a used pair.

I have cut some pieces for the KHorn and although they were tough, it can be done. I did it. The thing with the KHorn is the compound angles and the size of the pieces. Very tough on a small table saw. With the right equipment, it can be made easier. I shelved the project dur to time constraints. Beyond cabinetry, you have to get all the drivers and the crossover. The woofers go for about $150 per pair. The mids and highs about the same. Used! Then another $150 for the crossover. So thats $600. I don't think a carpenter will make those boxes for less thatn $400 each. Then there is the grill for the top and sides. Add to that the cost of the top units themselves which house the mids & tweeters & Xover. And finally the stain & finish.

And then there is your time. Ask yourself, do you want to come home every night and work on them for a year. If the idea is to save money - it ain't worth it.

If you can get a used pair for $2000.00 or less, I think they are a bargain. If the used ones went up past $3500.00 then I think its worth considering building a pair.

Bottom line is that there are so many Klipsch speakers out there (Chorus, Heresy, Cornwalls, Belles, KLF20 & KLF30, La Scalas & Fortes) that can make you oh so happy. And all you really need to do is wait for the right pair and jump on them. The deals are always come up. You must act quickly.

Kathy,

Welcome to the forum.

One thought on DIY over good used Khorns. The cost for obtaining the used drivers and crossovers will approach or exceed the cost of some reasonably priced used Khorns.

There are some near mint Khorns sold on Ebay or Audiogon for more, but still reasonable (IMO) prices.

Also possibilities for accepting your brother's kind offer of woodworking if you find a pair of fixeruppers.

Personally I would love to build a pair of KHorns of my own - but not from the point of view of saving money.

Having already built my own modest speakers I can tell you the joy you get out of them - the additional pleasure beyond the sonics - of listening to something whilst thinking "Hey, I built these!" is something else.

Heaven only knows what a kick the likes of Dean and Craig get out of the fact that others as well as them, are enjoying their work...

Almost makes me want to jack in Consultancy and start off in the business myself. The only thing stopping me is the complete lack of knowledge and SWMBO's (and SWMBO junior's) need for a high income from me.

Are you sure that you even want K-Horns? After three years I am finally building false corners as a band aid because in my last house I had marginal corners and in my present house I have worse corners. Then there is the seating position (much closer than you think). My Belles are much more practical. You also may want to consider a set of Cornwalls or RF-7's.

Of course if you have a proper room and don't plan on moving, go for it!

Chris

----------------

On 2/15/2005 9:09:25 PM William F. Gil McDermott wrote:

The woofer unit was evidently inferior to the K-33. Bruce Edgar had written that you could solve it's problems by taking a large hammer to it and putting the pieces in the trash.

It looks like PWK sued SpeakerLab for trademark infringement over there TM "SpeakerLab-K". After that they no longer offered the kit or parts.

----------------

Gil is pretty much on the money, but I thought that I'd mention a couple of things. I heard the original 8 Ohm SpeakerLab K driver with the square magnet in an original set of K's, and I have to say that it KICKED the K33E all over the place, even with the 3x13" slot (which shows that they made an explicit copy of the Klipschorn, even though they did not understand why it was 3x13"). I would like to get a good pair of those original Speakerlab 15" drivers to this day. Pant-leg flappers, let me tell you!

What Gil said about the crossover was indeed true, I had a pair. Mine (yet even different Klones) had EV T350 tweets from SpeakerLab. I thought it was funny that PWK was appalled that a company would allow the consumer to adjust the crossover themselves (in Dope from Hope "Imitations").

Also, PWK mentioned that he bought and tested a horn (don't know if it was SpeakerLab, I sort of doubt it) and reported that it didn't go below 70Hz. I am here to say that the SpeakerLab K was a straight copy of the real thing, and it most assuredly performed as well if not better in the low end.

PWK never did sue SpeakerLab as the letter "K" was not trademarked by Klipsch. He would have lost in court if he tried. But the implication was there - K "meant" Klipsch, we all knew that, but there was nothing that PWK could do. Also I have a friend who worked at SpeakerLab and he gets PO'd everytime he hears about the so-called suit. Never happened. Not even any correspondence from PWK at all.

The SpeakerLab K plans are a practially ver batim copy of the Klipschorn bass bin, and are amongst the most accurate available.

{edit} SpeakerLab quit marketing the K in the mid-80's when the horn market died. My buddy tells me that the DIY "K" kits entailed too much hand-holding for the company to be profitable. They concentrated on other "box" speakers. They are still in business today here in Seattle, but they only sell crap like everyone else (Good Guys, Best Buy, etc.). The glory days are over...

DM2.gif

• 3 years later...

I also are one of those people determined to build. I have orderd the plans from speaker lab. I will let you know how they look. I have a few questions on the guts of the klipschorn. First the K-33 woofer the set i have they have square magnets on them is this a klipsch only or are they 15" drivers out there that are as good? I have found the driver used for the K-55 Quawker but not the horn part. Anybody have any information on this. The K-77 tweeter any body know what driver is used since EV no longer manufactures. And last how much difference is there between the AA network and the new AK5 network and if you switch networks do the drivers have to be rebuilt. Sorry for all the question just trying to find the best deals on parts.

Thanks Rob

Q- First the K-33 woofer the set i have they have square magnets on them is this a klipsch only or are they 15" drivers out there that are as good?

A- there are after market woofers which are jusr as good on ebay.

Q-I have found the driver used for the K-55 Quawker but not the horn part. Anybody have any information on this.

A- You can use the K-400, K-401, or the speakerlab HD-350, all show up frequently on ebay.

Q-The K-77 tweeter any body know what driver is used since EV no longer manufactures.

A-There are after market K-77's avail on ebay as well as used K-77's and T-35's.

Q- And last how much difference is there between the AA network and the new AK5 network

A- Big difference...some folks however prefer the A or AA.

Q - if you switch networks do the drivers have to be rebuilt.

A- It depends which crossover and which drivers you have now.

Looks like Klipsch has jumped the price of the Klipschorn's from
$5,000.00 to $7,500.00 in such a short time. $2,500.00 jump
just because you have to special order it now.

Some guys were telling me that I could build my own from a kit.
My brother said if I get the kit, he would build it for me because
the materials used in the Klipschorn don't even come near the
cost that Klipsch ask for them that it would be better for him
to build it for me, plus he loves to build things, he is very
good with carpentry work and has made me some beautiful bedroom
dressers 4 years ago.

Can anyone tell me how I get the kit or where to order from so
I can let him start building me a pair of Klipshorn want-a-bees?
Thanks, Kathy

To anyone who has not been here for many years, Kathy is a dude, Klipschdude to be exact.[:|]