2:55 am, and I just got back...

fini

can ya sleep in today, or is there work on the schedule. Don't know the exact situation with your Mom, Fini, but I was always sorry I didn't take better care of mine the three years she was in failing health from COPD. Not to lecture, but please pause when you get some rest and take stock of whats REALLY important in your life. MSG if ya just want to chat.

We gotta stick together in troubled times as well as our victories.

Michael

----------------

On 3/18/2005 9:41:19 AM Champagne taste beer budget wrote:

I don't mean to sound corny, but remember, real men DO cry sometimes.

----------------

Nothing corny about that.

fini, I just want to wish you the ability to keep the inner strenght to continue on with this ordeal. 4.gif

Up and at 'em! Gotta get to the pharmacy by 9. If I had more energy I'd elaborate on that crazy day. Suffice it to say, the place she's at now is not currently set-up to meet her declining physical condition. We may have to look into a dreaded "Sniff" (Skilled Nursing Facility), even though they assured all of us she would be comfortable there to the end. Basically, late last night, the caregiver called me to say no oxygen was coming out of the concentrator. I tried walking her through some troubleshooting, but that didn't work, so I called the supplier, then the on-call tech, and had him call the place, asking him to ask the caregiver to give me a call back when she restored function to the machine. After 10 minutes, I got worried, so I called Mom's room. The caregiver answered, VERY flustered, saying Mom's lips were turning blue, couldn't breathe. She said she was going to call 911. I agreed!

I hopped in the car, and headed to the hospital. She wasn't there (should have been, as they're 5 minutes from the hospital, and I live about 20 mins away), so I wen to her place. Caregiver told me they went to a different hospital (I knew Mom disliked her care at the first one...geeze, Mom's doing "hospital rolling"!), without a DNR or Advance Healthcare Directive, so I'm worried now that they might be doing chest compressions or breathing tubes, something she does not want.

I get to the ER, and she's reasonably stable (the wonders of O2), and the new hospital and doctor grill me on her history. 3 hours later, she's headed home (no beds in the hospital).

As it turns out, when that tech called, Mom answered. The guy told her how to check and fix the likely problem (a cross-threaded and leaking humidifier, basically a threaded cup of water the oxygen bubbles through). Of course Mom, in this terrible oxygen-deprived state, God Bless her, gets down on her hands and knees and attempts to fix the machine!! She's so weak, she can't get up. I have no idea where the caregiver was through this.

I guess I did have enough energy to tell y'all. I will spare you the rest of the story.

Anyway, today is another day of trying to chart a course for my dear Mother's care. Luckily, my brother will be up today, and can help.

Boy, talk about "off-topic"...

Fini, if your Mom has COPD, you might see if you can get the 'R2D2' O2 tank with the portable tanks in case the concentrator has another failure. The portable tanks will lose pressure in a day or so, but if something breaks on other machine, at least there is O2 IN THE HOUSE. Or just get an emergency green bottle to keep around. Something for peace of mind.

I don't know all the specifics, but you might look into hospice care if that is available in your area, and in the family wishes. To share my personal trials with this illness, my Mom suffered for three years and her final 'nursing home' stay was trying to exercise her until her final days. I felt in retrospect that since she wasn't getting any better, to just leave her alone and make her comfortable. But I didn't make any changes and was ashamed at the outcome.

Just sharing to try to help ya buddy, okay? Again feel free to MSG if you just want to talk or ?? Hang tough Fini, yer Mom needs ya now! Keep the family together at all costs, this is not time for squabbles. Won't help anything.

Michael

Hi Fini:

When it comes to what you and your Mother, along with Your Family, are going through it is not "off-topic."

You've been and still are there for us. I hope that you know we're here for you.

Never knowing a Person's Faith, the term I'll keep a good thought is a substitution for Prayer.

I'll keep a good thought and Your Mother along with You and Your Family are still remembered in Prayers at my Church.

Keep yourself healthy, and by your presence You are saying multitudes to Your Mother.

My Best,

Win

Michael,

Plenty of O2 tanks at her place. She needs to stay off the floor with the machinery!

We are trying to get Hospice. Problem is, the Board & Care doesn't have a waiver (as we had been led to believe), and that takes, like, a week. So Mom's kind of in "no-man's land". I feel like every day is reinventing the wheel, or that I'm stuck in my own version of "Groundhog Day"...

Gotta go. Pharmacy opens in 15.

Guest Anonymous

Fini, your in my prayers, man oh man, I can relate. Keep your cool, and be strong. This does not mean, have no emotions. Let them out, make your peace with MOM asap. Then, celebrate the good times, as best you can, try to call your BEST friends, and those Close family members. If ya need TT, call me, I been there, done that too recently. My Dad uses O2 also, plus he pushes himself too hard. I feel your pain.12.gif

fini,

I think you know by now where I stand re: the concept of "prayer"... suffice it to say, I will be thinking of you, with all my hopes for you and yours.

My own parents are currently in a situation with my dad's sister and her husband (whom they live a couple of miles away from)... my aunt had a major stroke a few years ago (but with pretty good functionality having returned)... my uncle, however, after a lot of chemo for prostate cancer, is nearing the end of his ability to "run the farm", but is too stubborn to admit it. My folks have had to go over in the middle of the night at least twice this calendar year to take care of my uncle falling, and of his not being able to get up from the facilities after sitting down.

I can foresee a similar situation in another decade for my own parents; these are not easy issues, especially in a time when families are generally more spread out and independent. I honestly do not know how it is going to work out for our own family when our parents reach a certain state... our work and nuclear family life already keeps us so occupied, we don't have enough time with each other, much less with the extended family. My parents live fifty miles from me, and I've seen them once in one month, because of shortages at my work, and opposing days off with my wife's job.

Like the others have indicated, don't worry about the "O.T." nature of your thread... we're here as a support to each other in more ways than just for capacitors, rope caulk, and what to rub on those 70's Natural Birch Cornwalls. Keep in touch, and if you aren't able to lay it all out for us, just a quick scribble is enough for me.

In the words of a (more Faithful than me) former presidential candidate, " Keep Hope Alive!"

L.M.

Thank you all so much for the prayers, well-wishes, and general good thoughts! I am well-rested today (finally). We made some good progress yesterday with doctors, Home Health (visiting nurse), Hospice, the pharmacy, and the Board & Care where she lives. I think it helps to have a fire-lighter (as long as he doesn't get too hot), for getting others in the loop to realize the urgency of the situation. It really is a relief having my brother and sister-in-law here to lend a hand. I know Mom loves having us all close together, too. Hopefully, my sister in Oklahoma can find a way out.

I think Mom is doing some better. Still real weak and tired, hopefully she slept reasonably well last night, it being her first "out-of-the-hospital" night in nearly a week. I will pass on to her the support you all have so generously offered. Thank you again!

Geez Gregg, I just assumed your Mom was doing OK. I am really sorry to hear of how things are going. The thoughts, prayers and Love of my family are with all of you. I went through exactly what you are going through three years ago with my Mom and it is not good at all. I hope you also know that since I am not that far from you, if you need any help with anything just give me a shout.