• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 3/24/2005 12:03:44 AM fini wrote:

"Won't You Be My Neighbor," by Fred Rogers

----------------

I absolutely agree! I choke up every time I hear that song.

For a REAL toe-tapper, how about Big Bird singing:

"ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ"

Israel (IZ) Kamakawiw'ole - "Over the Rainbow"

Bob Seger - "Roll Me Away"

Mary McCaslin - "Ghost Riders in the Sky"

Mother Maybell Carter - "May the Circle be Unbroken"

Movie theme music from "The Mission" and "Dr Zhivago"

Dave Brubeck - "Take Five"

Bob Marley - "One Love"

And anyone playing the "Too Fat Polka" is always a rouser!

----------------

On 3/24/2005 10:48:09 AM sputnik wrote:

----------------

Yes!! Fantastic version. Do you have it on a record, or on one of the movie soundtracks?

----------------

On 3/24/2005 10:55:16 AM ben. wrote:

----------------

On 3/24/2005 10:48:09 AM sputnik wrote:

----------------

Yes!! Fantastic version. Do you have it on a record, or on one of the movie soundtracks?

----------------

Is that the version done with a ukelaly??

----------------

On 3/23/2005 1:38:12 PM fini wrote:

----------------

On 3/23/2005 1:01:50 PM Jimmytwo wrote:

Actually ........... I should have a go a recording my dad singing some of his old songs, for memory's sake at least. While I'd never admit this to him but, he can actually sing! He's good at it! He has a great repertoire too - old irish 'rebel' songs, bush ballads, bawdy ballads, war-time ditties, cowboy songs and even some bob dylan. Some of these songs may be forgotten for good once he goes - he's 84 but as healthy as a bull. He'll be around for a good time yet, no doubt.

----------------

Not to be dour, but don't count on it. I lost my Dad 18 years ago, and treasure every little scrap of audio and video I have of the old man. A high-quality record of your Dad singing old songs will be the most treasured posession you will have (as well as a great treat for your kids, nephews, nieces, etc.). Do it tonight! (I'd love a copy!)

----------------

On 3/23/2005 1:01:50 PM Jimmytwo wrote:

Actually ........... I should have a go a recording my dad singing some of his old songs, for memory's sake at least. While I'd never admit this to him but, he can actually sing! He's good at it! He has a great repertoire too - old irish 'rebel' songs, bush ballads, bawdy ballads, war-time ditties, cowboy songs and even some bob dylan. Some of these songs may be forgotten for good once he goes - he's 84 but as healthy as a bull. He'll be around for a good time yet, no doubt.

----------------

Not to be dour, but don't count on it. I lost my Dad 18 years ago, and treasure every little scrap of audio and video I have of the old man. A high-quality record of your Dad singing old songs will be the most treasured posession you will have (as well as a great treat for your kids, nephews, nieces, etc.). Do it tonight! (I'd love a copy!)

Fini - yeah you u r probably right, I need to do it soon but he's in oz, i'm in europe. hope to be home in the next 5 months or so. I'll catch him then, I'm sure.

Getting back on track of the thread - well sort of anyway!!- has any one in the forum had the privelage to represent their country in an international sporting event (or the like) where you stand in front of the crowd (hostile or not) and hear/sing your national anthem? To me, as a sporting could'a'been, this would be the most moving emotional musical event of my life. Imagine you are there - in the team.....Wales vs england, france vs england, Australia vs england (in any sport). Sorry i'm not sure how the US goes on the international stage for team events - it goes without saying though when it come to the olympics and the like - you sure get to hear alot of the SSB!!

Trying to get on track.

Ok - try this ;

Don't take your guns to town - Johnny Cash (another tear jerker )

sweet child of mine - guns n roses ( it just makes me feel good - a great love song - (my sweet wife)

Bad bad leroy brown- jim croce (again - just makes me feel good when i hear it)

It's my young blokes 8th birthday today - We got INXS happening!!!! loud, the wife's not happy - but we are!!!! - I've had a couple quieties and all in the world is good.

keep safe 1.gif

On a larger scale, Tchaikovsky's 6th symphony, the Path&eacutetique, is an ultimate statement among symphonies IMO of emotional desolation with flashes of frequently hollow triumph. It's so big and varied throughout that it's not easy to grasp how the four movements add up to an integrated statement of frustration, menalcholy, limping resignation (a "waltz" in 5/4 time), a firey powerful march, and desolation finally fading away to adagio depths of nothing.

It also takes a bit of reflection to realize how unusual and creative the very creative, almost unique fast-moderate-fast-very slow order of the movements is. One good recording is Mravinsky, DG, Leningrad Philharmonic.

Larry

John Prine "Hello in There"

We had an apartment in the city,

Me and loretta liked living there.

Well, itd been years since the kids had grown,

A life of their own left us alone.

John and linda live in omaha,

And joe is somewhere on the road.

We lost davy in the korean war,

And I still dont know what for, dont matter anymore.

Chorus:

Ya know that old trees just grow stronger,

And old rivers grow wilder evry day.

Old people just grow lonesome

Waiting for someone to say, hello in there, hello.

Me and loretta, we dont talk much more,

She sits and stares through the back door screen.

And all the news just repeats itself

Like some forgotten dream that weve both seen.

Someday Ill go and call up rudy,

We worked together at the factory.

But what could I say if asks whats new?

Nothing, whats with you? nothing much to do.

Repeat chorus:

So if youre walking down the street sometime

And spot some hollow ancient eyes,

Please dont just pass em by and stare

As if you didnt care, say, hello in there, hello.

Really moves me:

Afterglow - Genesis/Seconds Out (goosebumps every time)

Llorando (Crying) - Rebekah Del Rio from Mulholland Drive (just haunting)

Strangers in a Car - Marc Cohn

Really makes me move:

Gonna Make You Sweat - C&C Music Factory (if you can't dance to this-just give up!!)

Flirtin with Disaster - Molly Hatchet (the louder-the better)9.gif