Members Weekly Music Recommendations-April 11

thebes

Although participation was light last week I liked the suggestions that were offered. After all this thread's about sharing things you like and think others would also like, not simply about throwing something out there to fill in the blanks.

The format's simple, name of aritist/group, name of album, type of music (cd/lp etc.), and genre, rock classical, jazz etc. as best you can.

As usual I'll start it off with:

George Winston "Winter into Spring", lp, I guess ambience. This is a Windham Hill release, one of many fine realses from that label. Original half speed mastering was by Stan Ricker at Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs, whatever that means. This is pure solo piano music, very relaxing, sedate and very well recorded. A nice chnge of place and sxcellent for background or (that dreaded word) "easy" listening. Hardly your normal easy listening though. Very pretty, will definetly sooth jangled nerves.

So what do you have to share?

Hey thebes, I'll chime in again with Crash Test Dummies, "Ghosts That Haunt Me Now", CD on Arista, #8677.

Brad Roberts baritone voice is extrodinary, I'd love to hear it on a better system than mine. The lyrics not only have meaning, but are intelligable, too. Unlike so many bands that just scream into a mike. Great music, a nice blend of tempos, should be something for most anyone. Not really rock or easy listening, not really folk or country, more a mix of all the above with a ballad thrown in here or there for good measure. I'm sure many of you recall "Supermans' Song" from, ummm... 91 or 92, it got good radio play, if you haven't heard the rest of the album, you owe it to yourself to give it a listen.

I also enjoy their album "God Shuffled His Feet", but nowhere as much as "Ghosts...".

Good listening to you all.

hello thebes i was out of town last week with no access to post, but im back

pick this week is shine down, song is a remake of a skynard song simple man, i usually hate remakes as most sound just like what they are a remake of a classic because the artist in question didnt have the talent to make there oun music

however the group shine down does a awsome job with the remake of simple man it is actually an alternative rock group. and on cd, the lead singer of the group has an awsome voice and is one of the best new artists to come along in quite awhile IMO10.gif Joe

----------------

On 4/11/2005 5:30:12 PM thebes wrote:

As usual I'll start it off with:

George Winston "Winter into Spring", lp, I guess ambience. This is a Windham Hill release, one of many fine realses from that label. Original half speed mastering was by Stan Ricker at Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs, whatever that means. This is pure solo piano music, very relaxing, sedate and very well recorded. A nice chnge of place and sxcellent for background or (that dreaded word) "easy" listening. Hardly your normal easy listening though. Very pretty, will definetly sooth jangled nerves.

----------------

Good choice. George Winston is from Montana and plays here often - he puts on a nice low key concert, just him and a piano.

This week, my vote is for Chet Atkins and Les Paul, "Masters of the Guitar Together!". Does any more need to be said? The music these two guys put out together is so delicate and refined. True virtuosity - in this recording you can hear why all the great electric guitar players give tribute to these legends. The challenges they lay down for each other and the banter makes this a gem. I have an old LP and the CD from RCA but all that I found on Amazon was an expensive ($36) import version and it's still worth picking up.

chesterlester.jpg

I'll drop in for a change.e08402i0jlc.jpg

How about Geggy Tah's Sacred Cow

Released in 96 on Luaka Bop & produced by Susan Rogers with the two band members, I guess I would categorize it as alternative rock, before alternative became a category.

The single from the record, "Whoever You Are" has lyrics like;

All I wanna do is to thank you

Even thought I don't know who you are

You let me change lanes

When I was driving in my car

The guys are clever, but usually (if not always) steer clear of pretense and the self-stroking that clever musicians often fall prey to.

Production-wise, the sonics are fantastic. Rogers knows how to make a clean record with complex textures when called for. The last three tracks are masterful, especially as sequenced. There are some dark, moody textures and melody in "Mem" and "Shed", including what sounds like a sampled Polaroid used as repetitive percussion part. The transition into "Gina" (the final cut) is like a cleansing of the palate. A fresh, sweet little love song about Rogers' Boston Terrier seen on the cover photo. It's one of those songs that always feels too short, which means it is exactly the right length.

Obviously, I really recommend checking it out. There are some rocking cuts as well, but what really sets it apart is the more adventurous bits.

I have plunged back into all my Ben Folds Five CDs lately, plus Ben Folds solo "Rockin' the Suburbs". Folds is an incredible singer/songwriter and each of their CDs is rocking and melodic. The lack of guitars is not missed, because the piano is hot and the bass drums are tight. The lyrics feel true and seem to be about a real person or people, and you hear no cliches. Folds is due for a new one out soon--looking forward to that!

If interested, start with "Whatever and Ever Amen" --but all of their studio albums are keepers.

I was burning a CD for a co-worker (in her late 20's) and one of the songs she requested on the disc was "Unchained Melody" from the movie "Ghost" as she put it, by the Isley Brothers. Oldies 101 time. Anyway this led me to digging out the blue-eyed soul. I've been listening to:

The Righteous Brothers: Anthology 1962-1974 - CD - Oldies

This then led to me digging out the original Detroit ravers:

Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels: Detroit Breakout, An Ultimate Anthology -

CD - Oldies

And the best part was hearing the Righteous Brothers original version of "Little Latin Lupe Lu" and Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheel's dynamite cover of it. Well maybe not the best part. But, great soul ballads and great soul rockers.10.gif

Guitar Shorty;Watch Your Back, i played rythem guitar with him in 1997, when he swung west, an was with Black Top records, he use to share Hendrix stories an riffs he taught Hendrix, during setbreaks ,he is married to Jimi Hendrix's sister Marcia ,he use to do summer-salts on stage before his stroke, but some nights ,he would have Hubbcap Williams, the bass player move the chairs an tables back an do just one summersalt ,an not miss a lick,he can't stand to be at home he loves the road,great guy http://www.guitarshorty.org/index.htm

"Sweetheart of the Rodeo" by The Byrds. Acoustic country CD.

I dusted this one off after seeing the Gram Parsons tribute video. Parsons joined McGuinn and Company on this CD and the release includes some great traditional country/bluegrass/folk songs, plus extra versions of some of the songs sung by Parsons that seemed to be embargoed until after his death. It's good traveling music for a beautiful sunny day on the backroads of the south. Good tunes by Dylan, Woody Guthrie, Louvin brothers, plus the Parsons original "Hickory Wind." Decent remastering. Beautiful cover art.

Has anyone heard the new Government Mule release? My drummer introduced me to them, and I really dig a lot of what they do. We haven't heard the latest.

The live thing in NOLA is incredible. I think it's called The Deep End. It's a concert DVD/CD where they have numerous guest bass players in concert. Their bass player died, and they did an album after that with guest bassists, then did the live thing. Warren Haynes (plays in The Allman Brothers Band -you might have heard him there) leads the band.

Guests on the live deal include George Porter, Jr., Anthony Jackson, Bernie Worrell, Bela Fleck, some scrawny white dude that plays really sick slide (no, not Dereck Trucks-scrawnier than that), Jason Newsted, Ian Glover, a couple guys from Los Lobos, Les Claypool, The Dirty Dozen Brass Band (nice tuba solo on Chameleon with Anthony Jackson) and just too many others...

Classic Sinatra / His greatest performances 1953- 1960

Most Songs from the Capitol Years all of the Classic Sinatra best, all 24 bit digitally remastered. Booklet also contains special celebrity tribute.

This CD came out in 2000. I was very excited because I knew almost ALL of the tunes already. Put it on, crank it up, if your 30+ years old or if you appreciate the "Rat Pack style" go out and make a good Italian Dinner with Candles... And let Frank do his magic in the room making people feel festive at parties or just you and a loved one.

People or I could dsay a lot of Blah blah blahs about Frank Sinatra the person... This CD will IMO stand the test of time no problem.

In a day when crooners were huge and the guy as you imagined him, dead center on mic before a orchestra crooning out some "standard song" was cool. Frank Sinatra was 100% cool, a great entertainer and thankful that we can have this to remind us how great love songs are supposed to be sung.

BTW, as a side note... You WILL be able to understand the lyrics too. I can't help but think how cool in an era of "the best of everything" that was poured into this lifestyle, booze, women, movies, recordings, to be waking up as Frank must have been a blast!

Elton John Greatest Hits 1970 - 2002

CD

Rock

Soft Rock

Ballad

If you are an Elton John fan and don't want to buy a large number of CDs this is the choice.

The recording quality is excellent and the songs bring back many pleasant memories. Simple words that say so much to a lover, a would be lover (Tiny Dancer - will always think of WKRP when I hear that) to the World.

There are some clunkers - not named due to taste - but there are songs that could be released anytime and find a fan base - Your Song.

Even the hard to find are on here. Worth buying.

dodger

The movie "Collateral" on DVD. CD soundtrack available (trying to download).

For anyone who understands German; "Frauenluder" (means "women's carrion") by the Austrian group E.A.V. The CD went to number 1 in the German-speaking world despite being essentially banned from the airwaves for controversial, very non-PC lyrics as the title suggests!

A filipina neighbor of mine begged me for a copy of their music even though she can't understand the words. She loves EAV's range, skill, melodies, etc.

----------------

On 4/11/2005 9:18:21 PM nicholtl wrote:

Hammerfall "Chapter V: Unbent, Unbowed, Unbroken" - Goth/Power-Metal LP

----------------

Sweet! A brand-new Hammerfall album! I'll definitly will need to go pick that one up. Also, found out that they and Edguy will be playing live in August.

Along those lines, check out Thunderstone! I only have thier self-titled album, Thunderstone. I am going to try to find a copy of thier newer album.

Also, that Sonata Arctia concert I saw Wednesday night was friggan kick-@$$! After living here for 12 years, I never even knew there was a power-metal club (Jaxx) just right up the highway! Finally, a place I can go see the kinds of bands playing the kinds of music that I am interested, instead of yet another cover band.

----------------

On 4/13/2005 11:55:24 PM ben. wrote:

Has anyone heard the new
Government Mule
release? My drummer introduced me to them, and I really dig a lot of what they do. We haven't heard the latest.

The live thing in NOLA is incredible. I think it's called
The Deep End.
It's a concert DVD/CD where they have numerous guest bass players in concert. Their bass player died, and they did an album after that with guest bassists, then did the live thing. Warren Haynes (plays in
The Allman Brothers Band
-you might have heard him there) leads the band.

Guests on the live deal include George Porter, Jr., Anthony Jackson, Bernie Worrell, Bela Fleck, some scrawny white dude that plays really sick slide (no, not Dereck Trucks-scrawnier than that), Jason Newsted, Ian Glover, a couple guys from
Los Lobos
, Les Claypool,
The Dirty Dozen Brass Band
(nice tuba solo on
Chameleon
with Anthony Jackson) and just too many others...

----------------

Yes the mule is phenominal as ever! ( De Ja Voodoo) Just as addictive. I can't ever get enough. I put it away for awhile come back to it, and realize how'd that happen. Check out Warren Hayne's solo live album Live at Bonnaroo (acoustic) also. He's gettin good on the acoustic as well. He's says he's not that good, but sure sounds it. One of my favorite song writers also. Intelligent, down to earth no nonsense. Well now for some good heavy rock/punk stuff. Warrior soul anything you can get your hands on. I will recomend the cd "Salutations from the Getto Nation".

----------------

On 4/16/2005 12:03:32 AM nicholtl wrote:

Steve...we have A LOT in common!

----------------

Yeah, tell me about it! Are you, by chance, coming out to Indy in June? Love to get the chance to meet you in person!

BTW, I went and picked up that Hammerfall album! Friggan sweet! Also, I did find a copy of Thunderstone's second album, The Burning. Another friggan awesome album!