Lisnin' to AK-4 K'Horns...Thanks Everyone! (long)

SilverSport

Just wanted to tell everyone here who has had to put up with my questions, questions, QUESTIONS!...THANKS!

Right now I am listening to my 1984 "C" Model Klipschorns with all brand new speakers...new K-77-F Tweeter, K-55-X Mid Driver (Atlas PD 5 VH) through new composite K-401 horns and new K-33 woofers and the new AK-4 networks...WOW!!!

The sound is superb...

I had to listen to Louis Armstrong playing It's a Wonderful World first (gotta fulfill my promises! :) and all I can say is WOW!

These 1984s are the ones Gil passed on and graciously took the time to answer my questions (more questions.)

Well, as many postulated, those $750.00 K'Horns in chicago needed just a bit more than reconnecting the bass bin networks...what I bought were basically cabinets...They were filthy, modified and unloved by the original owner...stained a honey/orange glaze with ugly rope trim on the exposed "C" model edges...scratched, stained, burnt, dinged missing parts and the woofers were Kaput. Mid driver and tweeters worked but the "nest of vipers" that I found in the original AK-2 networks, taped and re-soldered and all...I was dismayed but there was something in me about K'Horns...something my father talked about my whole life growing up and I told the guy selling these..."Let's do this!" Let me tell you, he saw my face when I 1st saw these and he was SURPRIZED when I handed him cash and said that...I think he thought he would have to lower his price again!

Anyway, got 'em home and after a thousand questions, I decided on the new AK-4 networks and kit along with new horns and new woofers...I sanded the cabs and Watco stained them a nice medium walnut finish that took well to the Birch cabinets but was a bit uneven...anyway, I removed black paint indiscriminently applied to the wood and found nice figuring to the sides of the "top hat"...brought them from a 6 to a 7 and a half...time to get the AK-4 networks, a little more when I learned the woofers were shot and had to get those...still more when it was highly suggested to use the composite horns...today, the horns came in...WOW.

I told myself if at the worst these K'Horns sound as well as my Heresys, I will be happy...I am ecstatic...I know the speakers (woofers mostly) need a bit of break in time but WOW!.

Thanks to all for putting up with this and I will get pics set up as soon as I can but for now...again THANKS!

Bill

Lil' bro'

CONGRATS on the 'new' khorns! I hope you have as much enjoyment listening to them as you had heartaches and headaches rebuilding them. By the way since I was 'invited' to see them in their state of disrepair, I anticipate another 'invitation' when you finally have them set-up the way you want them and are finished (what am I saying, you never get finished with this hobby, do you?) with both your HT and 2 Channel listening areas.

By the way, does this mean no more late night/early morning, phone calls, e-mails and IM's?

Enjoy them! Dad would be proud and you certainly deserve it.

Bob

...before you get me wrong...I was being sarcastic (sorry, I'm like that) with my descriptors...those are the BEFORE pics...I will post the after photos...you guys are too kind...9.gif3.gif2.gif16.gif

("Well, we didn't want to say anything Bill but...yuuuuch!"14.gif )

ricktate...thanks, I will look into the tailboard issue...not having any K'Horns to look at and see what ELSE was futzed up by the original owner...the bass bins appear tight and the wood inside and all looks great it is just the exterior that is messed up...is the felt over the tail boards wrong too???

Thanks,

Bill