I feel violated, but I feel lucky...It could of been worse.

No Disc

----------------

On 4/29/2005 9:24:45 AM Cleve wrote:

I'm sorry about the loss. What kind of dog? I know that, despite their great size,
Newfie's will likely wag their tail at burglars.

And also, don't get complacent - Not trying to scare you, but the burglars may well be back. If it's one or two men, they can only grab so much at one time. Because they took certain items doesn't mean they didn't make a mental inventory of the rest of the house's contents.

Best of luck
----------------

Cleve-you are dead on about the Newfie comment. We had a Newfie for about 8 years and if someone would have broken into our home, he would have led them right to the good stuff wagging his tail (and slobbering) on the way! However, the size and look of Newfie's, to those who don't know the breed, can be very intimidating. Ours was quite a barker, which when combined with his size was quite enough of a deterrent, methinks! That's definitely a plus for a Newfie-a bit intimidating to the untrained eye, but as friendly as a Golden Retriever any day of the week.

When I was in High School my freestyle bike was stolen from me. I had the full range of emotions (feeling violated/compromised, sad, angry, you name it, I had it) when this happened. I'm sorry for your loss. Please do take the man up on his advice when he recommended that you visit a pawn shop. I know that Dodger (on this forum) has extensive police experience-you may also want to pick his brain.

Keep us posted...

David

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear about it. However, I can offer this bit of advise on a home alarm system.

I prefer to rely on multiple IR motion sensors rather than the window/door sensors. These can be adjusted to allow for pets, etc., but they are much more difficult to defeat than just busting out all the glass, leaving the contacts and window frames in place.

DM

Dman, you need BOTH. The windows sensors are hidden and not visable so if the window is opened, instant alarm and you have a chance to stop them before they make entry. Yes they can break windows and doors but you need to do them all anyway. Speaking as someone who has had both auto and home thefts. Ya know, the sign out front from a REAL alarm company local to the area, will stop a very high percentage of problems before they get into the yard.

My house was broken into about 8 years ago. They took about 10 dollars in change but also took a pad of checks I had left in my dresser. Although my credit union made it up to me, it wes a pain to have to deal with all the worthless checks they hung all over town. One of the thieves tripped himself up...wrote one of my checks to WalMart for a VCR, and signed *his* name. Then he tried to get a cab driver to return the VCR to WalMart for cash so they'd split the proceeds. Between the bank (guess WalMart didn't notice the mismatch signature) and the cabbie ratting him out, he was caught.

Moral: Lock up your checkbook and blank checks, even at home.

Thanks. We already checked and we got lucky as both the wife and my checkbooks were untouched and no checks appeared missing. I am double checking EVERYTHING this weekend.

- Tim

----------------

On 4/29/2005 2:00:19 PM boom3 wrote:

My house was broken into about 8 years ago. They took about 10 dollars in change but also took a pad of checks I had left in my dresser. Although my credit union made it up to me, it wes a pain to have to deal with all the worthless checks they hung all over town. One of the thieves tripped himself up...wrote one of my checks to WalMart for a VCR, and signed *his* name. Then he tried to get a cab driver to return the VCR to WalMart for cash so they'd split the proceeds. Between the bank (guess WalMart didn't notice the mismatch signature) and the cabbie ratting him out, he was caught.

Moral: Lock up your checkbook and blank checks, even at home.

----------------

I would also get the cell-phone link up rather than the normal "land-line" phone connect (burgler's cut phone lines, ect). But in case of earthquake, etc., give it up, neither will work, but hopefully, the criminals won;t be around then, anyway.

Also install an outside alarm to drive the neighbors nuts so that when you alarm goes off, the whole neighborhood knows it and looks.

DM

You should be happy that no one was home. I don't know how things are done in Chicago, but in New York many burglars will happily kill (or worse) whoever's inside.

Motion detectors are a must... so are automatic lights -> IE when the motion detectors are tripped, the emergency lights should illuminate the entire house and the alarm should ring... obviously the police should be alerted if no-one calls the alarm company.

And while I live in NYC, I am a raving supporter of the right to bear arms. I recommend having a 9mm pistol for every member of your family who's old enough to use it, and a semi-automatic shotgun for the bigger men (a semi-auto 12-gauge has a hefty kick). These should be within immediate reach on any floor, but under a combination lock that you can open in under 10-15 seconds.

Most of the time a burglar will run when lights come on and an alarm rings... but for the 1/1000th chance they don't it's better to be prepared. In NY, the legislation on home defense is really terrible since it includes a "conflict escalation" clause, wherefore you may be charged with a serious crime if you pull a gun on a burglar who's sporting a knife, for example. But you know what they say: "It's better to be judged by 12, than carried by 6".

Sorry about your loss. Glad that your family is ok.

I ahve been robbed a couple times. I think the hardest part for me was the violation-it's not a good feeling. You are taking the steps for preventing another occurance which is a good thing. Do not blame yourself as what these people did is a S%#@%Y thing to do to another person. 11.gif11.gif

Take care,

paul2.gif

Meuge, are you kidding?? That's horrible, why live there?

Out here, a recent burglary took place and the homeowner was home, got out a 9mm and shot at least one burglar stone dead as he was running away OUTSIDE of the home after the initial break-in.

No charges were filed, although the local TV news REALLY wanted it. The home owner was afraid that they would come back, so he shot them, sort of a pre-emptive strike. It was evidently deemed to be unwinnable in court by the local DA, so no charges were made against the homeowner.

DM

----------------

On 4/29/2005 5:29:24 PM Parrot wrote:

The homeowner could be charged, sure, but it would have to be a totally wacko jury that would convict him.

----------------

No, not really. Happens all the time. All the frustrated and underpaid assistant DA has to do, along with the frustrated and underpaid public defense attorney (cause trial attorneys can be too expensive for most people, at $200k+ for the trial) is to ensure that the jury is unfriendly to the defendant. That's really easy to do in NY.

Thank goodness you and your family are alright...what a nasty feeling burglary is.7.gif

My 84 year old grandmom's house was broken into five years ago by some local 17 year old punk, and she lives out in the boon-docks off a dirt road out in the middle of nowhere; her nearest neighbor's a mile away!

She was out with a friend at the time, and they discovered the broken window to her masterbedroom; her friend took my grandmom back to her house and called the police from there and waited until the local police investigated and allowed her to come home later that evening. All the creep took was my late grandfather's Rolex, his rings, and a flashlight! He never touched the .20 gauge shotgun sitting beside the front door in the foyer, and he never found her snubnose .38 behind some dishes in her kitchen cupboard, or her lil' .410 Snake Charmer II with the sawed-off ABS pistol-grip stock underneath ber bed! Unfortunantly, her possessions were never recovered, but the kid was caught a week later in the act of breaking into another home intown! Imagine if my dear ol' grandma WAS home that day when this kid decided to break into her home...if he wasn't DEAD, he'd still be pickin' buckshot outta his a$$ (he's still in prison, and safely protected from the likes of my pistol-packin' redneck grandma)!11.gif