How do I tame the harshness of the RF-7's

EarlRay

I know its too late but,

Onkyo is bright.

Quick fix: Audio Quest Type 4 or CVC4 speaker wire.

I was in the same boat as you when I first bought my KLF20's and Denon.Hated them. Bought a Parasound amp and used the Denon as a pre. Still hurt the ears.

Bought AQ speaker wire and life was very good.

This is just my opinion, but SS sounds best with solid wire.

Good Luck and once you get your system right, Klipsh are really great speakers.

Danny

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The heritage stuff is much more forgiving than the 7's, that is immediate impression I get when I hear them in comparison, but the RF3's are much more forgiving than the 7's as well, but mentioned in a post above possible due to the fact the 3's are 98db and the 7's are 102db.... Keep fighting to make the 7's work, they are worth it, but unfortunatly can cause you some pain and suffering with the check book to get there, or a lot of time searching for the vintage pieces to mate to them.

I have to throw in my comments on the RF7's.

I auditioned amplifiers recently and the speakers used were RF7's.

I was able to tell which amp had the smoothest sound but the 7's still sounded harsh and not to my liking at all no matter which amp was driving them.

this was the first time I have ever heard RF7's and was dissappointed to say the least.

was expecting the sound to be a lot better than it was from reading past comments on these speakers.

i bought a new amp (Anthem MCA50).

took it home and hooked it up to my Forte II's.

what a difference in sound the Forte II's have over the RF7's.

much better overall sound and not harsh on the top end.

----------------

On 5/3/2005 2:56:39 PM thirdeye wrote:

The heritage stuff is much more forgiving than the 7's, that is immediate impression I get when I hear them in comparison, but the RF3's are much more forgiving than the 7's as well, but mentioned in a post above possible due to the fact the 3's are 98db and the 7's are 102db.... Keep fighting to make the 7's work, they are worth it, but unfortunatly can cause you some pain and suffering with the check book to get there, or a lot of time searching for the vintage pieces to mate to them.

----------------

Agree with everything above. RF-7s are the pickiest (or least forgiving) speakers I have owned but are really worth it once you get them right.

Carl.

Keep fighting to make the 7's work, they are worth it, but unfortunatly can cause you some pain and suffering with the check book to get there, or a lot of time searching for the vintage pieces to mate to them.

Guess who doesn't agree with just about everything in this thread? The speaker is tipped up, you can bring it down with a 25 cent resistor. No, it doesn't bring the level of refinement that a high quality amp, or full network upgrade brings -- but it does make it a speaker more suited for music as opposed to HT.

Take out the networks and tack a 10 ohm resistor in parallel with the 2 ohm resistor on the bottom board.

Dean,

Interesting .. you find that makes a significant change. If I remember correctly, you didn't reduce yours as much as I did mine (not talking big %s here). Anyway, you've worked on these more recently than I. Maybe that resistor is more important than I thought.

Leo

----------------

On 5/3/2005 4:57:30 PM TBrennan wrote:

"How do I tame the harshness of the RF-7's"

With a Sawzall. Cut a 12" square hole in them. Then put them in the yard as doghouses.

----------------

troll.jpg

Some people like Klipsch. Others use the Forum to promote muddy speakers from rival companies.

Are we talking flat on tone controls? Well, if its got tone controls, USE THEM. The "poor man's equalizer".

I use my Yammie rather-cheap receiver for HT, but I note that DTS is way more painful than DD.

Dbflash bravely puts forth the WIRE option, which I agree with as a balancing tool. Well done, man! Both interconnects and speaker cables...

The particular PLACEMENT of the speakers in the room can also alter the overal frequency balance.

The case of a "bright" speaker is always going to give a somewhat bright sound regardless of what one does, but within certain limits, any or all of the above will have an effect.

DM

Just wanted to let everyone know that I was able to return the RF-7s, but I was charged a 15% restocking fee. Also I didnt get my money back but store credit. This would be fine but the dealers only other audio product is Bose. Maybe I will end up with a t.v. or something. By the way the whole time I had the RF-7s they rocked for DVDs but werent great for music. I have no doubt that with an high end amp and DeanG crossovers they could of sounded much better, but I just want some thing that I dont have to tinker with to find a good sound. Thanks for the advice,and Rock On!!!

----------------

On 5/3/2005 5:31:09 PM Nitefane wrote:

Just wanted to let everyone know that I was able to return the RF-7s, but I was charged a 15% restocking fee. Also I didnt get my money back but store credit. This would be fine but the dealers only other audio product is Bose. Maybe I will end up with a t.v. or something. By the way the whole time I had the RF-7s they rocked for DVDs but werent great for music. I have no doubt that with an high end amp and DeanG crossovers they could of sounded much better, but I just want some thing that I dont have to tinker with to find a good sound. Thanks for the advice,and Rock On!!!----------------

If you like the sound with DVDs but not with CDs the problem may be your DVD player. As frzn pointed out before, try a good CD player.

I still use my 13 year old Marantz cd-10 because I can't stand the thin sound of CDs played by my Denon DVD. The difference is night and day. What sounded thin and shrill on the DVD-player sounds warm and full on the Marantz.

Try it! Good luck!!

----------------

On 5/4/2005 6:29:37 AM Fish wrote:

I think the bottom line is those of us that really like the 7s just have to realize that not everyone on the planet will,I don't understand it but.....

----------------

Good one!

----------------

On 5/3/2005 5:31:09 PM Nitefane wrote:

Just wanted to let everyone know that I was able to return the RF-7s, but I was charged a 15% restocking fee. Also I didnt get my money back but store credit. This would be fine but the dealers only other audio product is Bose. Maybe I will end up with a t.v. or something.

----------------

Ouch! That isn't giving you a lot of choice, is it? Yeah, buy a TV or something else you can use.

----------------

On 5/4/2005 6:29:37 AM Fish wrote:

I think the bottom line is those of us that really like the 7s just have to realize that not everyone on the planet will,I don't understand it but.....

----------------

very true....

but listening to RF-7's on an older yamaha receiver or a current onkyo receiver hardly does them justice

before i would have eaten a 15% restock fee and ONLY received store credit i would have investigated more options

1.gif

"before i would have eaten a 15% restock fee and ONLY received store credit i would have investigated more options"

No Doubt! Also RF-7's need some break in time to smooth out some!

Using a DVD player for redbook CD playback and using Yamaha or Onkyo amplification will make any lively sound speaker sound shrill and harsh. However, as stated Klipsch is not for everyone.

What jerk-water dealer screwed you so badly on the re-stocking fee? The rest of us would probably want to make certan we never go there.

This sort of money-grubbing is what really burns me up about some of the newer so-called high-end audio stores. A reliable dealer should know things sound different in the home than in the store and should offer in-home trial.

Folks like that should not be authorized to carry a line backed by the heritage of PWK.

----------------

On 5/4/2005 9:59:54 AM wangdang wrote:

What jerk-water dealer screwed you so badly on the re-stocking fee? The rest of us would probably want to make certan we never go there.

This sort of money-grubbing is what really burns me up about some of the newer so-called high-end audio stores. A reliable dealer should know things sound different in the home than in the store and should offer in-home trial.

Folks like that should not be authorized to carry a line backed by the heritage of PWK.

----------------

even the "semi-big box" store - ultimate electronics has a 30 day no questions asked 100% refund policy....

1.gif