Vanishing LaScala

Michael,

The shipping charges weren't bad. I paid $70 each for FedEx Ground (Grand Rapids, MI to Houston, TX.) $140 isn't bad considering the weight, dimensions, etc. I threw a few extra bucks towards insurance, but the total charge (I think) was less than $150.

Hope things are well w/ you.

Mitch

I apologize for coming in late, but vintage should have a class that is worth more.

For example, my Vintage McIntosh Amplifiers: every quarter I do a print out of value from Audio Classics, McIntosh Rerurbishers in Knoxville, and any that are similar on AudiogoN. I also check with my local dealer.

They will say Blue Book value. You then have several other sources that show Blue Book is not the proper price. I also print out eBay Auctions which show an open, bidding market.

Insurance Companies can be a pain. When my wife was in an accident, car a total loss, I had photos of the accident scene, photos taken 3 weeks prior, and I had the dealer print out every time any work was done to the car.

Settlement is usually 2 - 3 times medical bills, time lost. She will work with broken ribs.

But the first time I spoke with them to settle, I told them exactly what was wanted - $10,000 which was low.

Offer $4500, 5,000, 5,500, 6,000.

Adjuster kept talking how much lawyers would take, court costs, etc.. When he said 6,000 was his last offer, I stated, "my God-Daughter's Mother is an Attorney, I have served legal papers part time for more than 20 years. I have photos of the scene, your driver was tagged, someone went in and represented themselves as my wife to the lease Corp.."

"As you now have totally insulted me, I have the film of the mis-rep, photos of scene, injuries each week, and I had to take over all household duties. I am notifying you that this conversation is being taped, though I don't need to, we will file for $50,000 and I will file separately for $10,000 for loss of consortiu, plus added duties.

A check for 10,500 arrived the next day.

Mitch, Glad for you that this worked out for you.)

All I ever got for two damage claims , one UPS the other FedEx, both packed by The UPS Store, was grief agrevation and nothing but a broken pair of KG-4.5s and the "opportunity" to repair my SW-15 myself.(

Rick

GREAT to hear it worked out for you!! and in one piece! Loosing something as huge as a LaScala is baffling.

Even though it is no longer pertinent, I just had to add a mention their classification of "collectable" was incorrect... The "collectable clause" is there to avoid exaggerate claims for items for which it is difficult to determine an exact value of. For example, a painting from an "up and coming" artist or an original StarWars figurine selling for many times it's original price. You can tell them it's highly sought after and you paid X$ for it... but being a "collectable" it's price will fluctuate greatly depending on supply and demand.

The Lascala is currently available, it's price is easily determinable, and supply is unlimited... so no guessing about it. It wasn't a collectable, and you 1000$ was actually less than it's new price.

Oh well, at least everything is OK in the end...

Rob

PS: As a Canadian, I can assure you that UPS Canada has amongst the worst customer service of the major couriers, and I have learnt, from several experiences, to avoid them at all costs.

• Moderators

Try the U.S. Dept. of Transportation website, and look under common carrier or shipments. I had to look this up for a client awhile back when he received a damaged 10,000 flat screen HDTV. My recollection is they cannot limit their liability in the fashion you described. I beleive that USDOT website tells you what a shipper can, and cannot get away with. They can be limit their liability for damage, but it is difficult if they lose the whole thing.

Additionally, it was good advice not to cash the check. However, there is language you can use to endorse the check which will not limit your rights, etc. Let me know if you need help on this.

Travis

DOdger...

Good for you. Amazing when you refuse to take any BS from someone and use THEIR own language back on them too. hahahahaha

It's funny in life sometimes... You pay your insurance years and years and really never file for anything. When you need something covered bigger than a weeks / months whatever paycheck, they wanna screw you and not give you a reasonable amount. I do not think this is true for ALL insurance companies, of course, but isn't that the "Magic" of insurance to be there when you really need them anyhow?

I shudder to think what a lot of you have in Audio in your house how you could ever really get good $$ to get back to where you are today!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all of you for you valuable input and help. Between my multiple phone calls (you have to 'hound' these people) and a bit of help from a fellow forum member, things came together very well.

got the speaker back (a bit damaged but in good working order), and some insurance money coming.

Later all....mitch