What kind of racks are people using?

arthurs

I can't believe people think racks make a difference in sound quality; time after time, blind A-B testing has proven that there is not a single sonic benefit to placing your components on a rack.

So do what I do: Spread them out on the floor.

So everyone can see your expensive cables. 2.gif

there is a sonic benefit to using isolation on a turntable, you get away from all the feedback caused by vibration in the floor, walls and in the air. i use a concrete paver sold at almost any home improvement store and seperate that using 5 racquet balls setting on furniture cups(gliders used under the feet to aid in movement or to prevent damage to wood or tile floors), all of wich sets on a shelf mounted to the wall. it isnt pretty but it works10.gif Joe

I've got a Bello, sculpted in Italy of steel and glass, VERY heavy duty, with 3 nice cable channels in the back, one each for AC/ line/ speaker wiring. Keeps everything nice and tidy (when I'm not experimenting or changing something out)

Only downside is shelves not adjustable and there's not one space high enough for turntable/dustcover, so I just took the hinges off.

Michael

I use a hole in the wall. Literally.

It's in the "Let's see" thread on the very bottom of page 12, included below. The advantage is that I go in the ajoining room (unfinished part of the basement), open a panel and have easy eye-level access to everything without bending down.

psg_ht.jpg

OT, but since that picture was taken, there's a Heresy over the TV and rotated the setup 90 degrees. The La Scala's are now in the wall on the left, 18 feet apart. Quite an improvement in sound. The only problem is that that hole in the wall is now behind the couch and I have to stretch to grab a DVD and put it in the player. I might have to make a second hole that will be beside the couch. Or I might rotate again by 180 degrees and modify that hole to accommodate the Heresy. It would look better recessed into the wall.

Guest Anonymous

Born2RockU:

Ok, give it up; what diam. is the threaded rod and what type of wood did you use?

Looks great by the way.

Bron2Rock's table is a much fancier and nicer looking version of the FlexyTable. I built one and here's what I had to say:

I was suprised at how well it looked when done. Didn't even bother to paint it.

Here's a link to the site for details: http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/flexye.html

I used 5/8 inch threaded rod and 3/4 inch MDF with a length of 24" and a depth of 16". Home Deport sells these sheets as 2'x4's so you can get six shelves out of two panels for about $13. Total project cost about $60 inlcudng drill bit, nut, bolts and rods. I did not use the recommended plastic or rubber washer, but when built this thing is VERY HEAVY so I don't think vibration will be a problem.

For the feet I used plain rubber feet but I may drop some tiles or small pavers under them because my plywood floor under a rug is kinda bouncy. This would eliminate any bouncing needles on the TT.

A couple of tips to share. I placed the holes for the rods 1 and 1/2" off the corners, taped all the panels together and drilled them all out at once. I believe this made setting them onto the rods much easier. Also, I used a tape measure to get all four nuts lined up pretty close, placed the shelve and then used a level to make them even. I used a complety level surface for initial construction and then only needed to make some minor leveling adjustments with the rack in place.

Mods: you can also use acrylic, marble or 3/4 birch or oak panels if you wish to stain and poly. To my mind though the mdf will kill resonance more because, hey, that's what Klipsch uses to make our speakers. YOu can also buy steel tubing to put over the threaded rods, but if you think you'll be adjusting the shelves in the future, this won't work out to well. I also might consider drilling the holes oversize and placing cut pieces of thin rubber hose from an auto store over the rods and into holes to dampen vibrations. The very large washers will easily cover the holes. You could also easily build a small panel into the back with drilled out holes to hide the cables and wiring.

Good looks, cheap, sonically good and not hard to build (3-4 hours tops). What more can I say. Oh, yes, saw something very similiar in a high fi shop a couple of weeks ago for $400.

I bought a Sonus AVS. They're black and chrome and match the new for me e-Bay Mac gear.

Part of the reason was convenience. The retailer was about ten blocks away. The CTA 22 Clark Street bus got them to within a long block from the abode. That was quite a bit of exercise none the less.

Top quality stuff. You pay for that in money and mass. No getting around it.

This was though a classic project where the first part takes 90 percent of the effort and the second part takes 90 percent of the effort.

To prevent carpet dimpling I needed some boards underneath the gravity end of the support columns. So I had to visit HD, buy some clear white pine, cut, edge with iron-on, and put on three coats of paint.

Wiring it all up took another 90 percent.

But I'm pleased.

Gil

No NHL ! ?? :

The black rods are a corse threading of 5/8 inch .

The wood was purchased at Lowes for about $100 and then stained to look expensive.

This huge rack only cost me about $335.oo total,

since me and my better-half borrowed the templete right off of the Salamander site.

We used that wd sites hole template for all the drilling dimensions and did the staining work ourselves.

Thank You for the complement, by the way.

~ Rock On ~