ALK Cornscala with K401 or Trachorn

jwc

Not on these 700's. 

He has done some wiring though.  Like say the speaker wire to woofer cabinet terminals.

We before have done soldering projects on cheap little circuit boards.

He loves to sand, glue, and paint for sure.  I won't let him hold the nail gun.

I got one up and running.

attenuation on mids is -6.7 and attenuation tweeter -7.  Ran a gross curve on it and it's pretty flat.  I could turn down the mids more just a touch.  However, will wait till a stereo pair.

Bass is very tight.

May gets some curves up over the weekend.  I'm in a new place and all my testing stuff is spread out everywhere.

• Like 2

Certainly sound as good or better than the last pair.

I don't have it all tidy yet.  Quick hook-up to drop in 1200 wpc for the break in. :D

Getting my head around this.....

Build the second set of Cornscala's. Cross them high and run some different horns and drivers.. Cool.

Finished the project and want to listen to them. "well let's see what amps I can put in there to ear test"

How 'bout a couple of 1.2KW Mac mono blocks". They were handy. smile

• Like 1

Yea.  Who would've ever thought a JMA Merlin matched with 1.2KW mono blocks with some horns???

It really worked out well.  I purposedly "favored" the mid and tweets attenuated to my liking a little on the lower side.  Woofer XO at 700Hz.  Both XO boards with ESNs.  ......So allow the amp to open up a little.

To be honest, the MC275's were bridged and mated with the Merlin as the first run.  The woofers were a little sloppy on the low end.

These cast frames of Bob's sound great and play the low end well.  These boxes are tuned to ~42 Hz......but more cabinet volume than Corns.  I love these tweeters too. 

I'm sure I'll play like this for awhile then try to change the mid taps......

No song yet bites my ears.  Great start.

I have heard them all.  The BBX extreme that I had does not sound better than the Merlin.  You could argue that it is on Par with it.  I actually have two Merlins.  One is a back up......sounds silly.  It is a great little secret.

I use mine like a tube buffer and/or analog switch box.

One time I A/B'ed 4 preamps on my system.  Merlin VS Sansui Vintage SS VS Transcendent GG VS McIntosh C15.

What I noted is that the authoritative bass with the Sansui was the best.  The bass on the GG was terrible.  The GG had a 3D spooky effect that was amazing.  Thing is....I couldn't live with the bass.

The Merlin had thick/chunky midbass and good sparkle.  The bass is good but not like the Sansui.  The McIntosh C15 had good bass but not any reason to keep.

So I would imagine there are some Peach lovers out there that may need the "LowZ" mode for more bass.  There is a difference.  However, I have owned a Peach I and II but I never truly did any A/B while I had them.  I wish I did.

• 5 years later...