should there be a 12 step program for vintage audio.

yup it´s a slippery slope the vintage audio hobby...one in which you admire vintage audio gear in your system at first, and then one day you are a "collector"...I still am missing my marantz 8b, pilot SA-232 and Brook 12A from my "collection"...tony

Hello,

I have a Marantz 4270 that was my Dad's. It still works great, in fact I'm going to use it when my single LaScala arrives, as it has a mono mode. Vintage audio is great.

My small vintage collection includes:

Cornwalls, one LaScala (on it's way)

60's Soundcraftsmen Solid State preamp in cabinet

Marantz 4270 in Walnut cabinet

Tube Heathkit integrated amp (needs recap, don't know where to have it done)

I would like to get the Heathkit recapped, and play the cornwalls with it.

-Jon

1. We admitted we were powerless over our audio hobby that our lives had become unmanageable.

2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.

4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.

5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.

6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.

7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.

8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.

9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.

10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.

11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God, as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.

12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these Steps, we tried to carry this message to audioholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

Hello, my name is Tom and I am an audioholic! 2.gif

----------------

On 5/25/2005 8:11:31 PM tuned4life wrote:

this is probably the wrong catagory for this post, sorry. my intent is not to shock or impress. just hoping this forum is a place i can feel like i belong, warts and all. if there were a 12 step program i would probably meet the menbership requirement. if you can relate to any of this you are probably alot sicker than you think. back in the late 60's and early 70's i bought a few pioneer receivers. in 1975 i bought a marantz 4270 and 4 pioneer cs 99a speakers at maynards sound world in rochester n.y.. i would have rather gotten the raw birch la scala's that i listened to. at the time quad was the rage and i couldnt afford one pair of la scala's much less 2 pair. i hit the skids in the early 80's and lost my audio. for years i watched the papers for a 4270 or 2325 and there just werent any. in november of 2000, with 15 years of continous sobriety i discovered ebay. it all started out harmless enough but by march 2005 i had (9) marantz 2325's, (6) marantz 4400's and (16) pairs of pioneer cs 99a' speakers. i considered it a harmless collection. however, the long time champion and lady of my life, my wife had another word for it. with the prospect of selling our home and moving to south carolina i descided to start selling off my speakers. in the last 2 months ive sold 8 pairs and few receivers. in the last 30 years there has only been a few things ive given a second look. my wife, a 64 chevelle super sport, and most recently klipsch speakers. with my wifes blessings ive been able to reinvest my audio funds in 4 pairs of cornwall's and a pair of la scala's. she wasnt impressed with the size of the cornwall's and she went into orbit when she saw the la scala's. im hoping to find another pair of mint unfinished birch la scala's and then im going on the audio wagon for good.

----------------

Dude, that isn't 12 steps. That is a marathon. I had some of a similar experience.

Started with a pioneer receiver/tapedeck combo that came with a pair of 2 way small speakers. Mom bought it for me at Wal mart. back when Walmart just got started. Played this through junior high, high school and freshman at Mississippi State.

Car stereo was crazier. 82' monte carlo with 14 speakers and 3 rockford fosgate amps and Alpine tape deck. All speakers concealed. tranfered all this to a Chrysler lebaron freshman at MSU. Total brain killer. My headlights would dim everytime the bass kicked in.

Sold all that car stereo stuff when I went to medical school. haven't bought any since.

HOWEVER, my home stuff kept growin. Bought carver M1.0t amp and C-1 preamp. Still havem. NO scratches on the amp. both work great.

Went through about 7-8 Onkyo Integra components. Still have one of there tape decks in the factory box.

Got cheapie for a little while. Went through several Onkyo standard products while I was kinda broke. Kept the Carver stuff however. Stored my Optima turntable. Have a ton of funk albums.

Got drunk one saturday after got blessed out by one of my attending physicians. Bought a pair of KG 5.2's. these were hooked to the carver stuff. man I threw some good parties. Still have the 5.2's.

Finished Surgical residancy and got a signing bonus. Bought a pair of 88' scalas. ran em of the carver and cheapo Onkyo equip.

Got a job...finally.

Bought the stuff you see listed below. Sold my La scalas :(

Sittin in front of my Cornscalas drinkin scotch right now. I guess that is why I am a little chattie. Also, feelin a little weird because my scalas were hauled off from my house today.

cheers to your 12 step program.

jc

----------------

On 5/25/2005 8:44:25 PM neo33 wrote:

Hey Rick, are you having a feud with ole Thebes?

----------------

Yeah Neo,

I sent him some Magic Cable and neglected to tell him about using chicken bones as a heat sink when he soldered them. He's been unkind to me since.

Rick

Alright here we go. It all started in 1979, Marantz receiver, Marantz speakers, turntable...Billy friggin Joel. Then College came a few years later, it was Marantz again (heard my first Cornwalls in 81) Then Alpine Car stereo in a 68 Beetle:frat bro broke the passenger seat..."They called me "Bundy" for a while at Mississippi State, I almost mounted a sub down there...forget the seat. Bought Heresy 1's and initially was in love except for the bass: so like a moron I purchased a pair of Cerwin Vega's and put the Heresy's on top with the 4 Channel Marantz. That was ok for a while. Then came all the DBX equipment: I loved that stuff. Subharmonic synthesizer, first 1 BX then 2 BX the the beloved 3BX dynamic range expander. Then I sold everything upon graduation, but the DBX equipment. Started over with NAD and Heresy 2's, never had much appreciation for those until the Servo Velodyne entered the mix and with the dbx equipment to boot. House was broken into and everything but the Heresy's lifted. "A good argument for large speakers" Sold the Heresy 2's for a short lived love fest with the B&W CDM 1's and Adcom equipment. Now the Corns are in the house, finally and with the Adcom equipment and new Denon 2900. My Corns are mint, so I'm on to stage 12 I guess. I actually sold the B&W's for more than I paid for the corns, less traveling and lodging expense. Could not believe that!9.gif

I don't have a problem. What do you mean I'm in denial? You're in denial!!

Turntables:

Dual CS1256

AR turntable (first version)

VPI Scout

Tuners:

Scott LT-110 tuner

Marantz 2020 tuner

Integrated amps:

(2) H/K 430

Marantz 1060B

H/K Ballade (shot)

Altec 353A

KLH Model Twenty (has a TT and a tuner, too!)

Digital source:

Sony DVP-NC650

Various old 16 and 18 bit cd players

Cassette decks:

A tricked out Sansui

Some Tascam thingy (I don't know the numbers, sorry)

Reel to reels:

3 Akai M8 with two matching speaker systems

Rogers something or other

Preamp:

Paragon 12A (yup, only one)

Amps:

McIntosh Mc30

Heathkit W-5M

(2) Teac L-700 (that's the #, right?)

Speakers:

Klipschorns

Altec 9844A

KLH Model Twenty

HH Scott (sim to KLH)

JBL 2500

Karlson resonators

1956 homemade University cornerhorn

Audix P-250 studio monitors

Misc:

Some old Quad 8-track monstrosity of a proto-HTB -Panasonic I think-has a joystick for a level control

VPI 16.5 record cleaner

And then they're the musical instruments, recording, and PA gear...

I am an audioholic and my problem is Michael.

It's been 22 days since I last bought Klipsch.

I have purchased in the past year (picked up from the following part of the country)

1 pair Cornwalls (Palm Beach FL)

parts to make center Cornwall (shipped)

4x RB5 that I have no use for (Cleveland OH)

KLF-C7 ( Cleveland OH)

Industrial LaScalas just for the garage (Detroit)

BR LaScalas because they were a good deal- also in garage (Ft. Wayne IN)

4x ksp1.1 again, good deal (ok, these were shipped)

Bello stand (Ft. Wayne IN)

and 2 HK receivers

Please HELP ME!

Michael

Hi my name is Pat,

Back in 92' or whenever I bought a pair of beautiful "high end" 4.2's. After having the crossovers reworked and finding an old 125 watt amp in very good condition things have been pretty good.

Lately I cant get out of my head the desire to own a pair of RF7's so two rooms will have decent music.

Does this have anything to do with being drawn to the "dark side".....lol.....?

A few new pieces are creeping into my stereo system: DEQ 2496, probably Teac tripath amplifier someday. I have not heard that many, but I have never heard any new modest priced ($250-$1K), solid-state receiver compared in sound quality to what 70s vintage solid-state or any new or old tube equipment can do.

BTW, a mono speaker angled directly out from the corner towards the middle of the room, where the listener sits, can be a wonderful sounding system. No side channel special effects, but just as two good channels can be as better than 5.1, one good big ole horn channel on a super clean and quit amplifier is better than 2 mediocre cones on a modest solid-state receiver.

10.gif

It appears that tuned4life can't handle his addiction and erased the starting post of this thread.

It's OK man, I'm sure you have a credit card. If you feel you need to repost your original thoughts, you can just copy what I copied from you in my original post on this thread.

jc1.gif

----------------

On 5/25/2005 8:38:14 PM sunnysal wrote:

yup it´s a slippery slope the vintage audio hobby...one in which you admire vintage audio gear in your system at first, and then one day you are a "collector"...I still am missing my marantz 8b, pilot SA-232 and Brook 12A from my "collection"...tony

----------------

I would like a brook 12a as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=73371&item=5776709260&rd=1