Power (tube) amp recommendations requested

Daddy Dee

----------------

On 6/10/2005 12:16:33 PM Daddy Dee wrote:

For a budget of $1000 - $1500

Which tube power amps would you recommend to use in a system with Khorns and a Peach preamplifier.

Any thoughts appreciated. ----------------

For a few dollars more; http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1122372200

1117188062.jpg

click the image for a larger photo.

Klipsch out.

----------------

On 6/10/2005 2:56:42 PM Guy Landau wrote:

----------------

On 6/10/2005 2:42:56 PM CaptnBob wrote:

Yeah, what he said...
----------------

Yeah, what they said.....
9.gif

----------------

What they said........The next time you are in Missouri (St. Louis), you have an open invitation to drop by my house and hear that exact combo for yourself (with Belles).

Carl.

P.S. I have seen some 8Bs sell within your price range, but that is a nice example for a fairly decent price.

Thank you gentlemen. Good food for thought.

Colin,

I have actually given serious consideration to VRD's. Also, I think Mark's Lynx will be in the same price range as VRD's. Both of those would be excellent candidates...

Carl, Thanks. I do get to STL from time to time and I'd love to hear those.

a lot to choose from at that point. perhaps first make the decision whether you want to go vintage or new, then get down to specifics.

In the vintage circle the 8b menitoned earlier would be a great choice as would a McIntosh MC240 or MC30s, a Marantz MkIV, a Dynaco ST-70 or ST-35 or a Pilot SA-232. New you have the two units mentioned made by b-boarders or could loo at units from Wright Sound, Antique Audio, Manley or VTL (the last two slightly used). regards, tony

----------------

On 6/11/2005 7:35:18 PM sunnysal wrote:

a lot to choose from at that point. perhaps first make the decision whether you want to go vintage or new, then get down to specifics.

In the vintage circle the 8b menitoned earlier would be a great choice as would a McIntosh MC240 or MC30s, a Marantz MkIV, a Dynaco ST-70 or ST-35 or a Pilot SA-232. New you have the two units mentioned made by b-boarders or could loo at units from Wright Sound, Antique Audio, Manley or VTL (the last two slightly used). regards, tony

----------------

Dee, I thought that you owned the little Wright's and were committed to them.???

Terry

----------------

On 6/11/2005 8:02:25 PM IB Slammin wrote:

----------------

On 6/11/2005 7:35:18 PM sunnysal wrote:

----------------

Dee, I thought that you owned the little Wright's and were committed to them.???

Terry

----------------

Terry,

I still have the Wrights, but actually have been doing most of my listening with a pair of bridged SE OTLs from Transcendent Sound, at mighty 4 wpc.

They have a different sound from the Wrights, which are no slouches at all. For a long time I'd been thinking I'd probably sell the SE OTL and major on the Wrights. Lately I've been wondering about something that would give the detail and transparence that I enjoy, with more power.

Not in much of a hurry to do anything. Would love to audition the JM Lynx when it comes out and/or Craig's VRD's. Another possibility that intrigues me is a PP 2A3.

to be more Generic ...

i like the sound of EL 34's the best ...

lotsa Distor ....er, "Warmth" in the mid's

you do realize that you are really asking

"what kinda coloration do you prefer"

EL 84 would be a second choice ....

i prefer thier "coloration" ... to 6L6, KT based amps

Daddy Dee,

I know you already have a pair of Wright's, but I'm trying to sell some stuff and I have a pair of 3.5's for sale at $850. They are being sold here for a great price because I was hoping someone who wanted to get into tubes would grab them.

I really don't want to sell, but I'm working on a pair of Khorns.

I also have a couple of preamps for sale at a great price.

One combo I have is the Wrights and a very modded AES-AE3 preamp for $1,400. The preamp 3 years ago sold for $1100.

Sorry to take this post over for myself, but I really want the Khorns.

Danny

I got a Pilot 232 that was mentioned earlier and it is a very, very, sweet power amp, and my favorite. They are a little hard to get( took me two years before I won one on Ebay) but worth it. I knew after I rebuilt it that it is probably the last power amp I will want or need.16.gif

A few weeks ago DD sent his Wright 3.5s up for me to audition. Next week, I am going to reciprocate the favor and send my Wright Mono 10s to Arkansas for a look and listen.

He's going to teach them to say "y'all" and to properly pronounce watta and cah (water, car to youz non Rhode Islanders)10.gif

Rick

i happen to know that craig has a set of mono block dynaco mark 3 he is doing a complete rewwork on as i traded them to him, i heard a pair he rebuilt at garys house and i would find it hard to beleive for the money that they could be beat, craig himself compares them favorably to his vrd's but says that the vrd are of course better in aeras. craig also said he sells the reworked mark 3's in the 1500 range. i would suggest getting hold of craig and at least getting his advice he was more than willing to help me with all my questions 10.gif Joe