OT: What you want for Father's Day?

mandi

At first, I had asked my kids for a couple of DVDs or some other affordable items such as a new BBQ tool set, etc. But as of last night, those things don't seem to really mattermuch.

My dad died in 1978. He was only 58 years old. My best friend's wife called me last night. HIS dad died last night. Today would have been his 93rd birthday. His dad was like a second dad to me because my friend and I grew up together on the same block. We've been best freinds since we were 3 years old. I used to see his dad a lot. He always called me "son". Now, both of our dads are gone.

I guess I'd like to have our dads back for fathers day. 15.gif

Sorry for being such a bummer, guys. But, it hurts.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im....

I am a chief tech in a dialysis here in columbus. I've worked here for 17 years. I know what dialysis can do to a person. My thoughts out to you. My folks live in Florida, and everytime I talk to them I tell them I love them and sorry I was such a sh_t when I was a kid. It's amazing how much we take for granted everyday like our parents and all the things they worked for and sacrificed just for us. Like we do for our own kids now. We have the luxury buying nice speakers and bragging to our friends. I guess in short I want my Pop around another year. I set of klf 30's would be nice too!2.gif

----------------

On 6/13/2005 9:04:01 PM r.cherry wrote:

bring the troops home and end the madness.

----------------

Close...howz about end the madness then bring our troops home.

For Fathers Day I'd take a Hummer and a Cuban Cigar,thanks.Stereotypical?now now...thats not PC.

Happy Fathers Day to all you Dads.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 6/14/2005 2:15:36 PM Fish wrote:

"Close...howz about end the madness then bring our troops home."

----------------

I agree.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 6/13/2005 9:40:38 PM Istari wrote:

I'm with you R Cherry.

You know, I think it would be different if W had a son out pounding the ground. But no, he would do what his daddy did, pull strings and get his son a safe job here in the states. There is justice in the system, but its spelled "Just Us" and it takes money and political power to use it, the first Bush proved that.

I'll be thinking of the boys and girls who won't have a father this father's day due to this private war in Iraq.

Now before people jump in my _hit, I'm an Army Vet, served 6 years, 5 months and 12 days, I have earned the right to complain, and I have also earned you your right to complain. But you cant _itch if you haven't been in a troops boots.

Good night all!

----------------

Why did you guys have to do this on this thread?

----------------

On 6/14/2005 6:24:29 AM Audioreality wrote:

I've overheard my teens talk about getting me some new sneakers, but i'll be happy with a good hug and a card.
9.gif

----------------

Are you sure you didn't overhear them say new "speakers" 6.gif9.gif

Nice pic, m00n. I took the new Jeep Wrangler 6 speed for a test drive last weekend.

WHAT A CAR!

The new gear box is awesome. I was changing up and down like I was driving a sports car. The gear change just snicks back and forth, and the clutch has great feel.

Now that's what I call the perfect Fathers Day present... 3.gif

I got my second sub about a month ago, and earmarked it as a Father's Day gift; besides that, I think a couple of DVD releases are headed my way: Sling Blade and Field of Dreams (2-disc anniversary edition)... the latter seems like a good choice for viewing Sunday evening, after I've fed about 1500 people celebrating the occasion.

Money wise, I spent all the next 10 years of Fathers Day credits on the projector I just bought.

I would love to just spend the day with my son. He still lives at home but I am gone for work at 3:30 am and go to bed at 8:30 or 9 pm, he gets home from work and his buddys house at aobut 10:30 pm so even though we are in the same house, I never see him.

I am fortunate to still have my dad. He is a good man and I love him very much. We spend some time together month to month but it is never enough.

Well, dad passed away last night at about 10:30. We had spent most of the day at the hospice with him, and then my uncle and aunt came in so we could go get some rest. The call came less than an hour after we left his side. My dad said weeks ago he did not want any of us kids or my mom to see the end, but wanted his brother by his side. I think he knew we were there and held off so as not to make us see him go. Earlier he had only barely opened his eyes during the day, once at lunchtime to smile and say "hi" to me as I talked to him and held his hand. He did the same later in the day with my sister and told her he loved her. I think I told him I loved him more in the last two weeks than in my entire life up to that point. He was brave and courageous to make the decision he did, and we know we will someday be with him, free of pain and suffering. He kept his sense of humor till the end, joking with us and the hospice personnel when he could speak and see us. He left my mom, along with three of us kids, 45, 39, and 32. I am married with two in college that are wonderful stepkids and a 6 yr old who cried when we told her that her "papa" had gone to Heaven. As a sidenote, his brother (my uncle) and his wife had their 43rd anniversary yesterday, and had a nice dinner before they came back to be with my dad as he passed away. All in all, it was an emotion filled day. We are having a family dinner here at our house tonight, with services for dad Sunday. It will be the saddest Father's Day ever for me, but I will survive it all somehow with the family and friends. Dad, we all miss you terribly.8.gif

Steve & Sue Oldani and kids: Matt & Sarah Klein, and Jenna Oldani. My brave mom Bev Oldani, my uncle and aunt Jerrold & Phyllis Oldani and their kids Mitch & Andrea, and my sister Trish with son Mitch, plus my brother Dustin.