More Best Buy BS....

Joe Shmoe

So my father-in-law finally took everyones advice & purchased a new TV. His old 1986 Phillips 27" was really getting tough to watch lol. He went to Best Buy with gift cards he had been saving from all the holidays etc.. he came home with a high definition Toshiba.

It is a nice TV, however my father-in-law is 71....being at that age & not really a Home Theater nut, I was surprised to see him come home with an HDTV, let alone that the Salesman also sold him a $120.00 HDMI cable to go along with the TV!

I would throw this in with all the other scam artists out there that prey on the elderly. If I were the salesman, I would show him what ever we had, but also not make it sound mandatory that he need that exact cable.

Best Buy used to be my favorite place to shop, but more and more I am tending to shy away from them. This incident combined with their crappy return policy, and the rising prices on CD's just ticks me off!7.gif

When I was in the store (Good Guys) buying my speakers, the sales guy was trying oh so hard to sell me the most exensive speaker wire he could find in the store. I can't blame them for it with someone such as myself, however, to do this to the elderly is crossing the line in my opinion.

BestBuy sales clerks are pressured constantly by their managers to sell the highest mark-up items. If they don't push the stuff they're told to push, they get scolded and reduced work hours. If they're recent hires, they'll be let go.

The managers are in turn pushed hard by the district managers, and so on and so forth up to the corporate headquarters. What everyone is dealing with is BestBuy's sales strategy of cutting prices to the bone on some things, to attract you into the store, and then making a killing on the add-ons.

Bottom line is that Best Buy makes very little on TVs. But they more than make up for it with the wire.

Guest Anonymous

That number is really high. They do make an incredible amount of psp's but not 80%. I too really dislike Best Buy, but I have to tip my hat to them because they lead the industry and it shows, despite the fact that I don't know anyone he is a die hard fan of BB it seems everyone still goes there anyways. Since I have about 6 places within 10 min of my home I just go to all of them and find the best deal. In my younger days, I was a manager of customer service at BB and I can tell you all endless horror stories about the place. If you feel the need to vent I suggest going to bestbuysux.com There is plenty there to make you laugh.

Best,

George

----------------

On 6/14/2005 9:39:12 PM Parrot wrote:

BestBuy sales clerks are pressured constantly by their managers to sell the highest mark-up items. If they don't push the stuff they're told to push, they get scolded and reduced work hours. If they're recent hires, they'll be let go.

The managers are in turn pushed hard by the district managers, and so on and so forth up to the corporate headquarters. What everyone is dealing with is BestBuy's sales strategy of cutting prices to the bone on some things, to attract you into the store, and then making a killing on the add-ons.

Bottom line is that Best Buy makes very little on TVs. But they more than make up for it with the wire.
----------------

He is right!

And I will just copy my post from the CompUSA complaint thread...

To play devil's advocate...

I am NOT about to defend CompUSA nor Best Buy! In fact I consistently walk out of them more frustrated then I went in - much like WalMart.

Neither are set up to effectively demo ANY speaker, computer or 'hi-fi' (now there's an oxymoron for you when used in this context!).

But I think that everyone should know this!

Going in to either of them and expecting anything more then to literally see the product or to see how 'loud' they get is to exhibit a set of expectations that is simply not tenable.

Does anyone seriously expect Best Buy to have acoustically 'sound' listening rooms???? If so you expect what never was and what I suspect never will be. Heck, they are lucky to have a demo on the 'special' shelf without parts missing or broken!

And to go there and expect to be educated regarding a computer?... Where is the 'rolling of eyes' emoticon!?

At best they are places where, after having done your research, you utilize them as a source of price comparison or for a possible discount or sale. And you buy them like cash using a credit card that will double the manufacturer's warranty up to a year. And you do it with a foreknowledge of their convoluted return/exchange policy.

To do anything less is to set yourself up. And their weird policies are easily researched. Heaven forbid, the Best Buy receipt is a 3 foot printout with disclaimers and exclusions!!!!

Like it or note, they don't offer any more service then Wal-Mart. They are simply an alternative source that may (or may not!) offer a lower price.

I think we would be wise to be good shoppers and to be assume responsibility for covering our own posteriors, as Best Buy and CompUSA are simply limited WalMarts.

No criticism, just a reality check that we need to be aware of! Please be responsible educated shoppers! Do your research first!

And GOOD luck!

I have never, and will never, purchase an audio-video item from BB; the only thing they sell that would come into consideration would be a widescreen display, and I think I would prefer to use their prices as leverage to get a better price elsewhere.

I buy DVD's, CD's, and the occassional computer cable at BB, and that's the extent of my patronage of their wares.

I was in line behind an elderly woman and probably a friend or granddaughter. She was purchasing a microwave and was getting the extended warrenty. I leaned over and asked her if she had ever had a microwave and she said yes, I just want a new one. I asked her how long she had had her current microwave and she said it had been so long she could not remember. I told her that is probably the case with most folks and to skip the extended warranty and go out to dinner instead. You could tell the salesman getting ticked.

By the way Rat Shack is doing the same thing as Best Buy with the Monster cable bullcrap. I looked at the salesman like he was crazy when he was insisting that I purchase the 120 dollar Monster cable (6 ft). I bought the cheap stuff and laughed at the guy and just shook my head in disbelief.

JJK

The whole extended warranty thing pisses me off. BB sales reps push so hard to sell it, and many people end up purchasing it. Whenever I'm pushed to purchases the extended warranty, I tell the guy that if I purchased the extended warranty everytime it was offered to me, I'd have spent enough money to replace any piece of equipment if it went bad. I have never purchased one of these extended warranties and I figure I have saved at least a couple thousand dollars.

The only time I would purchase it is on something that it too big to ship or bring back easily like a big screen TV, or plasma TV that could go bad.

I did it when I got my TV from Sears, it included one PM a year that I did take advantage of.

Yeah, I love the whole extended warranty plan bit. Just after telling you what a wonderful product they're selling and how excellent the craftsmanship and build are, they try to sell you an extended warranty in case this wonderfully made product breaks in the first 30 minutes of use. I have nothing against extended warranties in general-they are typically quite expensive, but if you want insurance on your product and will sleep better knowing things will be taken care of-so be it. I personally don't buy them, but to each his own.

I do, however, have a BIG problem with a salesman talking up the build quality of whatever product he is talking to you about and in the very next sentence trying to sell you an extended warranty. This is disingenuous at best.

David