UH OH! Heresy's coming by FED EX...Yikes!

BS Button

Good luck. I refuse to use Fed Ex because they habitually damage things. I recieved a pair of KLF-30s that they absolutely destroyed and then during the claims process they said that there was nothing wrong with the speakers. To top it off, they lost one of the speakers enroute back to the shipper and then claimed they never had it.

UPS is better, but not by a lot, however their claims department blows Fed Ex away.

Nothing is as bad as DHL though. They lose so many packages you'd swear it was on purpose. Not too long ago a friend of mine got into an argument with one of their dispatchers because they informed him that the house and street he lived on for over 15 years did not exist because they did not have it on their map. Not that they could not find it, but it did not exist and they accused him of giving an incorrect address.

If you use any of those companies, just make sure the speakers are packaged very well with thick foam. I had a pair of Epic CF-4s shipped to me recently and the owner built crates around them and packaged them with thick 2" foam. UPS managed to drop one of the 150lb crates and break the sides off of it, but due to the use of that thick foam the speaker was undamaged.

It is always hard to ship big speakers, freight is always the safest bet, especially when the box can be strapped to a pallet.

It is a shame that many employees at shipping companies have some sort of sexual gradification for damaging people's property, so it makes it ever so important to pack what you ship as well as you can.

BS Button,

Check my post in Updating Older Speakers entitled "La Scala Pics" about my single La Scala shipped FedEx. Of course that one wasn't packaged anywhere near correctly, sort of a worst case scenario. I'll never forgot watching him unload it off the back of the truck. BONK! Right on the top. Big heathen brute. They just don't care!

-Jon

FedEx beat the hell out of my first pair of Corns-which were not properly packaged. They are great for delivering documents but I don't trust therm with anything breakable. Spend extra money and have your shipper take the speakers to Craters & Freighters.

Just to give fedex a little credit where credit is due. I use them daily from our facility. Actually express and we have only had one claim in the last 6 months. I filed the necessary paper work for that claim and faxed it. Within 4 business days i had a check in the mail box. Just as a side note UPS wont even ship our product. Now UPS does ship in alot of our supplies without to many problems. I realize alot of accidents do happen and the claims should be taken care of immediately. But i just wonder if most of the problems arent packaging related.

I agree about packaging. That is the most important thing. My forte II's were boxed, not packed by a UPS store in FL by sone greenhorn. Maybe 1 inch og foam on each side. Risers settled to bottom of box and were in pieces when they got here. Pack things yourself properly, and Fedex and UPS shipping will seem to do a better job handling them.

----------------

On 6/20/2005 7:26:23 PM BS Button wrote:

Decorator Heresy's delivered to me at no charge for the shipping. I may pay in the long run?

----------------

Congrats of the Decorator Heresys. I've got a pair of '76 models, and they sound so good it convinced me to buy '77 Cornwalls.

I think ANY shipping is a roll of the dice. According to Andy, Decorators are the toughest cabinets they made. My Decorator Heresys and Cornwalls have survived FedEx and UPS respectively.

I had UPS damage a new pair of Heresy II's (MDF) a few years back. The boxes showed no external damage, but several corners of both speakers were crushed, and the factory foam box inserts were in pieces.

----------------

On 6/21/2005 1:17:13 PM seti wrote:

What makes a Heresey a decorator?

I know someone who has a pair with canegrills that they are going to sell to me. Do they command a higher price?

----------------

decorators usually come from the factory with no grills to save on cost. the motor board is not recessed to accept a grill. flush fronts.

----------------

On 6/21/2005 1:52:45 PM Budman wrote:

----------------

On 6/21/2005 1:17:13 PM seti wrote:

What makes a Heresey a decorator?

I know someone who has a pair with canegrills that they are going to sell to me. Do they command a higher price?

----------------

decorators usually come from the factory with no grills to save on cost. the motor board is not recessed to accept a grill. flush fronts.

----------------

So these are most likely not decorators if they have canegrills then hmmm. I guess I will have to wait until I see them in person.

Thanks

----------------

On 6/21/2005 11:42:00 AM charlieboy wrote:

Ive had much better luck with FedEx then UPS and they definatly pay out much better on a claim and I know that from an independent person whos looked at claims for both companies for twenty years.

----------------

I agree 100 percent. Fedex is way cheaper and way more careful.

UPS seems to have has copped an attitude somewhere along the way. I think they are where the post office was 20 years ago. Smug and arrogant. Fedex will eventually kick there butts if they don't start shaping up.