Olorin, Frzn and the Rest of You Were Right!

SilverSport

Seadog, Malcolm, T2K:

Alright...so MAYBE you were right all along...I have had 2 sets of Heresys for months but only after hearing the Heritage Home Theater at the Pilgrimage...(Belles, LaScalas and a THX subwoofer)...did I finally get off my tookus and mate my front WO '81 Heresys with a BR '78 Heresy...

Let's stay on this for a moment because I don't have a weak center channel...I have a medium oak Academy...

Well, I had to recreate the U-571 depth charge scene Pro Logic II with Cirrus surround...Now my system is not Belles, LaScala and a THX Woofer but...I must say Frzn and the others were right about the front being seamless...at least for this little scene through to the end of the movie...

Logically for me anyway this makes sense...similar (darn well the same) speakers SHOULD sound seamless...I have heard my system with the KLF-C7 and the Academy and I think I might prefer the Heresy center...no buzz to the TV either (Sony 36" CRT) so maybe I'm lucky so far...I haven't given up on the Academy but I have a new interest and theories to test.

Your thoughts and experiences as always are appreciated (it takes me awhile sometimes until I listen but...I do LISTEN...2.gif )

Thanks,

Bill

Bill, glad you are enjoying. Yep you could buy a single La Scala from the proceeds of the Academy for sure. I actually have two centers, one above and one below the TV. I know about the comb filtering deal but I have so many other speakers I don't hear any anomolies I am running 8 Heritage speakers all the time. I don't really fire up my dual Velodyne Servo 15's until I pop in a DVD since I get enough bass for TV viewing without them active.

It only gets better Bill! Honestly, I never thought my system would reach the level that it has. The inspiration came from other forum members like Qman and HornEd I saw the photos of their systems and I changed my goals.

I just happened to be in the right place at the right time when it came to finding the speakers that I have. I think its funny that I have more horsepower in my living room than most adequately equipped theaters. Except I can have beer with my popcorn. 9.gif

I have always wondered how my KG speakers would fair against the Heritage stuff. I figured it would be close (have not heard the Heritage line...yet), but when I first heard the Reference line, I gave up. I don't think they sound good enough for me to give up my KGs, but still better none the less.

And then I see where some of you have no problem saying the Reference line doesn't compare to the Heritage. I guess that's end of story for me.

Maybe the KGs ain't so close after all, but I would still love to hear an all Heritage outfit. I love the sound of the Reference line, so now I'm really intrigued to hear what the Heritage line has to offer. Considering Klipsch has been making them since the 50s, they have to be pretty damn good. That's a hell of a long run for any speaker.

I had KG2s and loved them but I thought the Hereseys were better...this in no way means the KG2s were not good...just that I like the Heresys better than the KG2s...more efficient but a bigger box and no passive woofer...just my .02.

Bill

Welcome aboard. Those sparkly things you're seeing are just the after-effects of having seen the light. 9.gif

Now I'm not so sure I'd just say categorically that a Heritage system will "outperform" a Reference system, or for that matter a system from any other line. For one thing, each line has it's heavyweights, welterweights, and so on. I don't think five Heresys is going to whomp all over an equal number of RF-7s, for example.

All things being equal, though, some people are going to like Heritage better, some are going to like Reference better, and some are going to like something else better than either of them. It's a matter of taste. Heritage and RF-7 will have some differences between them, but I'm not going to sit here and tell you one is "better" than the other. That's for you to decide.

As for psg's comment, yes, it does. I ran mismatched front-to-back for a pretty good amount of time, and the difference is not subtle. I've said it before and I'll say it again -- the only guys who think it's not important have never heard it. They either haven't had the opportunity, or they lack the discernment to tell the difference. For a good number of us, though, "close enough" is only good enough until you've heard "right." After that it's hard to put up with hearing it any other way.

Congrats on your next step, silversport. If you need more Heresys, give me a shout. 9.gif

For you guys that have all Herritage HT system. Would it really outperform a Reference series 7 system?

Yes.

--------------------------------------------

I agree here to... if the caveat is you "like and crave" the Heritage sound.. Outperform is a tough word.. Is that saying a ref 7 all around with a RSW 15 sucks?? No, ask Picky, he loves it.

Does that mean the THX system especially with the THX amp and subs is also bad...?? No, it too, is incredible.

I will say this, and I think this is where a lot of us "old timers" seem to agree almost as much that is possible. Paul W Klipsch had something very very right with that K400 horn. It is, perhaps, why K horns sound so good. In a La Scala is just sings too.. So hear me out below.

I am putting a "Rogers "dream system" for my own basement HT room together as we speak. I will use seven (ok, over kill I know, but hear me out) identical split La Scalas plus the KA 120 Amp and 2 Klipsch subs. People that heard this syetm at the Klipsch pilgramage with a dvd test of U571 just about dropped everyones jaw in awe... (and that was with two belles in the rears, 3 la scalas, and the same KA amp and 2 subs up front.)

Seamless as heck from left to right...same timbre in the rears as well.. is audio nirvana. Do not let anyone snobby or intellectually constipated as all get out tell you otherwise. It does matter, and you can/will hear it.

BTW, I think Klipsch "proved" the THX Subs/Amp combo is THE "Heritage" sub everyone has been looking for too.

My 2 cents, chime in here those that were there.

IndyKlipschFan,

Good to talk to you at the Pilgrimage...nice to talk to another (Steve Phillips and Larry Clare) of the group of 4 or so that has upgraded to the AK-4 networks in K'Horns...Olorin...I think I will be needing more Hereseys...If you know any around Chicagoland in WO that are fair priced...let me know, I just might. 9.gif

I would agree with others that Heritage does not stomp all Reference HT...I think it was just a bit of "sibling rivalry." I just PREFER Heritage...

2.gif16.gif

Bill

I sure like my "extended" Heritage, or whatever you want to call the Chorus II/Forte II/etc line. At the pilgrimage a couple years ago, I listened to the Ref system, and prefer what I have. But it might be because I'm "used" to it. Thumps along very nicely!