FM Tuners

Piranha

It's a bit of a shame that FM broadcasting has pretty much gone to crap. I've always liked FM for the reasons that good stations with good shows can uncover new music vistas for you. i.e. "I want to hear something I "don't" already have. A decent DJ with a good gag can also be fun to listen to.

We have more or less two decent stations in my area. One is the college station and the other a good eclectic independent. The remainder are 'Clear Channel Country Clones' or religious.

I use an MR71, which is a really marvelous sounding tuner - in spite of the crappier broadcasts. It sounds "right" even though it is of course not the KIND of sound you get from a good LP or CD source. When you are listening to FM, you have to give up the notion of "audiophile-style listening" and sit back and say, "does this sound pleasant and listenable?" Which is does.

++++++++++++++

Nice when another really smart poster like Mark saves me from typing.

Parrot;

Boonies is tough for good FM.

Detroit maybe has 2-3 stations I can enjoy.

Away from larger cities Sirius or XM sattelite investment may be more gratifying.

Again for exposure to new music; not audiophile quality realism.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 7/6/2005 4:01:05 PM bsafirebird1969 wrote:

next problem is to find anything worth listening to on the local stations ..

hell, i may as well take the tuner outta my rack

----------------

Ha! I hear that do you pull in the Lake up there? How about 97.7 htz fm from Toronto, Canada

----------------

On 7/8/2005 7:35:33 AM mdeneen wrote:

As an aside, the wood case on the MR-71 looks awfully darn nice on top of a BlueBerry Xtreme!

mdeneen

----------------

Ooh, Mark, you know how we love pictures...2.gif

----------------

On 7/6/2005 1:44:58 PM Piranha wrote:

What model/brand do you use? Or what have you heard that you really like? What models pull in FM really well?
----------------

Hey what turntable did you ever wind up with? I lost track of that saga.

I loved my Sherwood S-2000 mono tuner. Killer deal, but when integrating it into my PC via Sunfire preamp and loaded down the preamp and monoblocks so I went with a SS modded Sansui. This situation was probably due to my preamp the sunfire classic which "passed on" load right through to the PC of whatever source was hooked up (except the phono stage).

DC

I can't believe how many of you guys flake-off the FM stations. I guess I'm luky over here, because I love my FM tuners. There are several excellent stations in the Tulsa area..... 94.1 The Sound, 97.5 KMOD, 96.1, and 103.3. And there are several killer classical stations too. I really do love FM, but will get my CD player/changer one of these days.

I'm with you Gilbert. I love my FM and am blessed with some great stations in Chicago. Out classical station, 98.7, also has outstanding sound quality because of...uhh...technical reasons which Artto can explain. Where is he?

----------------

On 7/8/2005 10:02:41 PM Gilbert wrote:

I can't believe how many of you guys flake-off the FM stations. I guess I'm luky over here, because I love my FM tuners. There are several excellent stations in the Tulsa area..... 94.1 The Sound, 97.5 KMOD, 96.1, and 103.3. And there are several killer classical stations too. I really do love FM, but will get my CD player/changer one of these days.

----------------

Actually I should go to fm Anonymous. I listen to fm almost to much it seems. I do listen to cds too, but I like to set it and leave it. Plus I don't mind the commercials finding out what's happening in the nearest citys' is very informative with local events ext.... Might miss out on a descent concert if I didn't listen ( still do when I listen). Also if it weren't for radio I would have absolutely no idea what was going on in the world. I just don't watch enough tv for that. I use a outdoor motorized UHF/FM antenna. Not sure what brand it is but that thing is way up there, plus I am on top of a hill. I can pull in stations from all directions. It's really fun trying to find a station that I never heard. Not sure about others, but sometimes I will pull in a station that just sounds so rich and warm with great seperation that matches well with my Klipsch.

"And don't forget that you will NEED a roof-mounted BIG *** antenna too. Otherwise, your $1000 tuner will be pretty much worthless."

I'll tell you what, Allan - my MX-110 does better on a dipole than most I've seen with a good antenna - it's a magnet for a signal, to be sure. And the sound is very yummy indeed.

My Accuphase, OTOH, is an excellent sounding tuner in it's own right, but is much more demanding of a good antenna. My Mac makes more of a dipole than any tuner I've ever used. As is always the case, a good antenna is the best way to make good on the tuner investment - but for those who cannot use a rooftop type - or anything other than a simple dipole type antenna, the McIntosh tuners are highly recommended. Macs also work great on good ol' fashioned rabbit ears1.gif

----------------

On 7/10/2005 9:52:56 AM kev313 wrote:

There are likely better solutions, but I am unable to put an antenna on my roof and have had great success with this Magnum Antenna:

&"The

----------------

Note that this is an outdoor as well as indoor antenna -- mine's been mounted on an upper floor eave on the outside of my house for a few years now. Although omnidirectional, it's done about as well as any antenna has in my little FM-challenged geographical pocket.

Larry

Living just south of a city with a million or so people helps with a wide variety of good stations. The difference in sound quality between them is interesting.

Years ago I had a rooftop antenna and I have been thinking about doing that again because it makes a world of difference. Surfing the stations trying to find something different is fun in itself.3.gif

FM is great for background music and casual listening then of an evening I'll pop in an SACD for some good imaging and soundstaging.

Fun stuff, I feel sorry for the guys who live in nowhere land who cant receive signals very well.15.gif