Pick the Best Decade for Music ....

1803-1813 -- didn't expect that one, did you? -- Beethoven wrote his 3rd through 8th symphonies, AND nearly all his other middle-period masterpieces including five of his seven great concertos and his great middle-period string quartets and piano sonatas. I can't think of another comparable body of work, especially one created in only 10 years. My mere $0.02, at any rate.

Larry

----------------

On 7/25/2005 6:50:04 PM LarryC wrote:

... I can't think of another comparable body of work, especially one created in only 10 years. My mere $0.02, at any rate.

Larry

----------------

I realize that we are talking about music, but as far as ANOTHER body of work in a 10 year period; How about 1880 (1882 actually) - 1890. Vincent Van Gogh painted masterpieces that set Records in the Art World today 2.gif

The decade or so spanning 1965-1975. Hits all the high points mentioned. Includes the best years of many of the best including the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd, Lead Zep., Eagles, Springsteen, etc., etc. Also, it was the last few years of good country and western music. Lots of good folk music. Also includes early Reggae. Good electronic and experimental music as well. Pre disco and pre MTV.

----------------

On 7/25/2005 6:50:04 PM LarryC wrote:

1803-1813 -- didn't expect
that
one, did you? -- Beethoven wrote his 3rd through 8th symphonies, AND nearly all his other middle-period masterpieces including five of his seven great concertos and his great middle-period string quartets and piano sonatas. I can't think of another comparable body of work, especially one created in only 10 years. My mere $0.02, at any rate.

Larry

----------------

The last years of Mozart's life were also exceptional 1781-1791. That time span also includes much of Haydn's work.

I say 70's . 60's Were good with the British and all, which introduced many areas of culture. However, I think that the 70's introduced much more music to the main stream and underground than all the others with thanks to the media. Disco, rock, southern fried rock, heavy metal, basic rock and roll etc. Hell,,,,even classical was a tad bit reborn.2.gif

Toodles

billyjoe

1956-1965

Hi-Fi came into it's own. The 12" LP arrives. Independent jazz labels FLOURISH and even the big labels get on board (artists like Ray Bryant, Jay Jay Johnson, Miles Davis and Monk all get signed to COLUMBIA records and release many albums). Jazz clubs continue to do well enough. But 1965 was the beginning of the end and by the end of the decade jazz was "dead" as a commercial proposition and stayed "dead" for most of the 1970's. What's really odd is that I came to this music IN the middle of the 1970's--primarily because of the rare opportunity I had living almost in the shadow of the Keystone Korner in San Francisco, a club where ALL of the jazz greats played--Todd the ownerwas a great guy and ran the best darn jazz club I've ever seen--he used to let me in for free between the first and second set becuause I was there ALL THE TIME and he knew I was a broke college student. I heard so many great players there it just boggles the mind: Dexter Gordon, Art Pepper, Stanley Turrentine, Freddie Hubbard, Max Roach, Art Blakey, Clifford Jordan, Bobby Hutcherson, Bill Evans, Joe Henderson, Billy Taylor, Pharoah Sanders, Barry Harris, Roland Kirk, Stan Getz--well, the list goes ON AND ON.

So, the best decade for ME was 1973-83 because I heard so much great LIVE music. But the best decade for RECORDED music is still 1956-65.

Jazz - '55 to '65

Rock - '65 to '75 - The Grateful Dead wrote some amazing music in these 10 years, not to mention The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Dylan, Hendrix, CSN&Y and the rest.

Classical - I'll just have to agree with Larry. How can anyone argue that.

If I had to go with a particular decade however, it would have to be the 60s.

I'm goin' with the 70's,although the best 10 year span would be 67-77.That was the start of really great jam sessions in rock and many of my favorite artist worked inside this 10 year stretch.