BEC Crossover Rebuild

seti

First of all let me say to you Heritage owners with old crusty 20 year old crossovers GET THEM REBUILT OR GET NEW ONES!!!!!!!!

I received my crossovers yesterday and immediately put them in place. I listened to the AA for a few hours then switched to the A and will leave it that way for a while. The sound is just so much cleaner from top to bottom velvety smooth. I didn't think it was possible to get a more detailed sound. There is a track I have heard a million times but this time I can hear the chair she is sitting in squek just a little and when the vocals kick in they just sound so real. Don't get me wrong it sounded good before but this is much much better.

Hot dam thanks Bob!!!!

I still have an issue to work out that I thought new crossovers would remedy but didn't. When I listen to say Paul Simon Graceland track 2 the S's hiss just abit. I am not sure if this is just the nature of horns or if it is something in the remaster but it is there. Any ideas?

seti,

Yes, it is normal to hear everything a bit louder after getting good caps in the old crossovers. The old caps had high ESR and acted just like resistors dissapating some of the music power as heat in the caps instead of sending it on to the drivers. And the fact that now you hear some more of the Sss sounds, also means that you have the high frequencies coming through like you should and you are hearing what is really on the recording.

Bob

seti,

Yes, it is normal to hear everything a bit louder after getting good caps in the old crossovers. The old caps had high ESR and acted just like resistors dissapating some of the music power as heat in the caps instead of sending it on to the drivers. And the fact that now you hear some more of the Sss sounds, also means that you have the high frequencies coming through like you should and you are hearing what is really on the recording.

Bob

Actually the Sss sounds were there before the crossover upgrade. Could it be the diaphrams?

Thanks again for the great work!

Play that Paul Simon song with the networks configured as Type AA's -- I believe you will find the Sss's not as hissy.

Actually I did listen to that album as AA and A but it still abit much. I will keep listening and see if the same issue pops up.

All in all the sound is incredible I just need to solve this one issue and I'll be a happy camper. I am going to get my friend to play the same track on his B&W's just to see if perhaps it is the recording.

I can't wait to get home tonight get the tubes warm and pop a Heineken.

On my Belles the "A' side came off as much cleaner, crisper, more

prcise. Have not gone back to "AA" since and most likely won't. The

Belles with a MOSFET integrated give me the cleanest and virtually

grain-free sound I could ask for. No changes are in my future. If I

understand correctly, the"A" networks act like a first order design?

Had both my Belles and Cwalls networks done by BEC with great results.

A good value for the dollar upgrade IMO and Bob was great to work with.

Rich

Another thing I noticed last night is that it seems

to be louder. Is this common with crossover rebuilds or am I imagining

things?

Since I'm in Canada, it wasn't economical to ship my boards to

Bob. So I ordered caps and replaced them myself. I too have

the strange impression that it's louder, but quite a bit. Maybe

the clarity means I'm just pushing less to get the sound I want.

I used to listen to a certain Diana Krall CD at -30 dB on the

receiver and didn't feel I needed nor wanted to go over -40 dB last

night after the caps upgrade. (I

regret not taking out the SPL meter before the upgrade to measure a

reference). Sibilance didn't bother me before and now I notice it

more. I may have to put the old caps back in! [;)]

Anyway, that's just after 30 minutes of listenning so I need more time to evaluate.

Someday, totally new boards from Bob, Dean or Al! [:D]

Since I put the crossovers in on Tuesday night I have listened a total of 14 hours and I am amazed. YeeFreak'nHaw

ICARUMBA

Next on the list are composite horns : )

Other than listen to them is there anything else I should do to these Belles anything else that should be replaced after 20+ years ?

Well after I got my new crossover from BEC I put it in the single La Scala I'm using for a center channel speaker and it was set on AA and pushed it up to the wall. Then by myself put a 280 pound Sony 34" tv on top of it. That was not easy and I'm not moving it till I get a new tv, late next year.

I did not really think about trying the AA and A before put it under my TV. So now I will have to wait, Bummer!

Xman

post-13699-13819269687324_thumb.jpg