Poll: Is My Scott UPS Proof?

rplace

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks really good - except for one possible problem.

You will want to pay attention to the face of the unit (where the knobs are). What would happen if the box slams against/on the side of the face of the unit?

I would place strip(s) of that insulation across the bottom edge of the faceplate, and/or possibly placing strips vertically across the face of the unit (and between the knobs), to protect the face and knobs. If the crate causes the weight to shift towards the face, you want the foam to absorb that shock, and not the knobs.

Other than that possibility, the crate looks pretty stout.

Ahhhhh, I see. On second look, it appears you gave that issue consideration (by way of the slits). Nice work.

Yea I notched the sides to "hold" the face plate. Put two layers of the foam on top before closing it up too. The first top layer is notched around the face place as is the first bottom layer. Two layers of foam on every side and notches all around holding the face place. Guess we will find out Wednesday how it liked it's journey.

Well, You sure are playing it safe. As long as it can't move in the crate you built, it should be OK. I have sent amps back and forth to Craig many times over the last couple of years with only a single shipping issue. The thing to do on the Scotts is place a stiff piece of cardboard over the top section to protect the tubes and unit from a top side blow. It is also a good idea to thread a cut down piece of bubble wrap around the tubes themselves to prevent movement. I always double boxed in peanuts as well.

Looks like you going to make it in good shape.

You have done all you could do with the exception of wrapping the unit in

a plastic bag and spraying in expanding foam into the box. I think that

would be the route I would go if I ever sent anything in the "mail"

I have a buddy that did extensive tests for shock and vibration

resistance for the military and the results were that the more ridged

you made things the better. Trying to cushion movement rather than

preventing it, only caused more damage. Thus my thoughts of

filling the box with foam after protecting the unit by wrapping it in a

bag. Then again, you could spray the foam into bags and re-use the

"blocks" on the return trip.

I voted for #2 only due to past experiences! You should be fine.

I would have loved to have showed you the smashed pachaging that FedEx delivered my once gorgeous mcintosh L52 cabinent in. They literally smashed it with a 55gal drum of oil. That is the honest to God's truth.

The dumbasss FedEx delivery man actually left a completely crushed, motor oil soaked cabinet with our adminstrative assisstant at the front desk, and then hauled asss out the building. Needless to say, I was fuming, and it took an act of congress to get reimbursted from the seller; Who, coinsidently is a member here on the forum.

Good luch with the Scott shipping, but believe me, ...if it can be damanged. Both FedEx and UPS's highly trained personel are more capable than most. Nice job on the case, make it bullet proof, and then pack it again in another bullet proof case.

What a Scott vault! One thing I would mention is the way you have the edges of the face plate into the slices in the foam. If the face plate is the only thing keeping the knobs from pushing into the foam with a hard slam going down a conveyor belt or something the face plate could bend they are very delicate. It would be a good idea to place some foam below and above the knobs between the face plate and the front foam the same thinkness as the knobs.

I seriuosly would be surprised if it did have any problem even so.

Craig

I always double boxed in peanuts as well.

I'ved been contemplating a $15 charge for anyone using foam peanuts! I hate though darn things[;)] They were never designed for anything but light items. Not that you use them inapropriately in your case but many people do! I've received many an amp thrown in a bag (or not) and put in a box with nothing but those stupid things. Many times it was done by the lovely UPS stores. In reality I have seen very little damage when you factor in 100s of amps that have went back and forth.

Craig

When looking at it further is looks like and sounds like you cut a slot on all 4 sides for the face plate to go in, if it has support around all sides plus the knobs sitting against the front foam I would say it is near bullet proof. I first thought the slots were only on the sides of the face plate.

Craig

BTW, I have been considering an interesting packaging option for amp-sized parcels. Suitcases! Hard-sided, built for abuse. Available in a plethora of sizes at thrift stores and flea markets for only a few bucks. Add some of that expanding foam Wayne is talkin' about, and you're good to go!

I saw the crate in person over the weekend and Rich did an amazing job. Oh, and yes, he's about as anal as one gets![:o]

If it isn't bulletproof, UPS or FedEx can easily find a way to destroy it. I don't think that'll happen in this case however. Just a gut feeleing. I vote #2 anyway[;)].