Toy car question.... obviously O/T

ben.

I've been thinking about this for some time... what's a decent, relatively fun to drive car? Convertible would be fun, too. Think vintage British or Porsche 914 kind of thing. I wouldn't spend over $3K or so. Immaculate condition and collector value are two things that wouldn't be a priority. Just something to take a spin out in the sticks w/ the wife & kid every now and then.

The funnest car to drive I've ever owned was a VW Scirocco. Not sure how it is spelled. It was a 1976 as I remember. The thing weighed less than 2000 lbs and it handled like a gocart. Even back then it wasn't very reliable however.

The closest thing to it I've driven lately are the late model Toyota Celicas. The GTS version with the 6 sp. Even the first year they made them, 2000, would run you alot more than $3000.

If you go the 914 route, its better to pay a premium for a good example

than to buy a "fixer upper" to restore. Many trim, body and

interior parts are becoming prohibitively expensive to replace and

914's cost the same hourly labor rate as any other Porsche. You

can get financially upside down on one of these pretty quickly.

Another Porsche to consider is the 928 - its even got back seats that

will accommodate pre-teens. Some of the early cars are dropping

into that price range, but again, have it checked out by someone

knowledgeable, a needy 928 can be a real money pit. If you have

any mechanical ability, your first purchase should be the 9 volume

factory shop manual. Lots of good info/advice available on the

928 forum on Rennlist.com.

Porsche, there is no substitute.

James

I had a Fiat Spider when I was 18 and I loved that car. Being 18 when I owned it I beat it pretty bad and I didn't have too many problems with it. You can find a nice on on e-bay for a good price. I am not sure but does the Miata have a back seat? That might be an issue if your taking your kids along with the wife. I know the Spider has a small one. Allot of people take them out tho.

I would love to have another Spider, I guess I should just stick to the Harley tho. Hey there is an idea, Get a bike with a side car.

Steve

I have a '79 Spitfire just waiting to get restored. My son and I are contemplating a Mazda rotary engine for it.

I only have about $100 in it so far. Body is in excellent shape.

I would agree that the Miata would be a great car to get.

Scooter,

Thats cool, I also loved mine too. I didn't have the dual webber but it did have A/C and Shelby/Cobra wheels. I have never seen another with aluminum mags and 70 series tires. She would do 110 with the top up and 100 with it down. I will say it was almost as fun as my scooter is now. I would love to have another one someday.

Steve

Good luck finding a Porsche 916.

Porsche only built 11 916's - I've only actually ever seen one - doubtful you'll find one anywhere within shouting distance of your budget.

Another Porsche to consider is the 944, should be lots available around

your price range. Again, a pre-purchase inspection is

critical. A well maintained Porsche will give you long and

faithful service. An abused or neglected Porsche will drain your

wallet faster than it will do 0 to 60.

James

I've owned a couple of MG's over the years. The MGB is reliable, fairly cheap, and easy to fix. You should be able to buy a good one in your price range. Another favorite is the Triumph Spitfire. It's not as punchy in performance as the MGB, but is easy to maintain. Another oldie, and a goodie, is the Triumph TR6. These things go, but are rather high maintenance. All these cars have character, and should increase in value if you look after them.

For outright fun, and if you're not worried about the heritage aspect (pun intended), you could consider the Mazda Miata (known as the MX5 in Australia). Very reliable and they are great fun to drive. These cars are a bit of a girl's car though - so that should suit you, Ben! [;)]

Edit: Sorry, buddy. I just had to have that dig at you! I was being too nice... [:D]