Help from someone that isn't biased towards large speakers

RTTR

I had one of my rooms setup at AKfest last year with some Klipsch bookshelf can't remember the model RB3.5 or something. But any way they sound great slid out into the room with a subwoofer for the low end. Very deep wide sound stage. I'm a big guy so I love big speakers but those small speakers are awesome sounding when setup correctly. Heck I thought they sounded pretty good without the subwoofer.

I had one of my rooms setup at AKfest last year with some Klipsch bookshelf can't remember the model RB3.5 or something. B any way they sound great slid out into the room with a subwoofer for the low end. Very Deep wide sound stage. I'm a big guy so I love big speakers but those small speakers are awesome sounding when setup correctly. Heck I thought they sounded pretty good without the subwoofer.

RB-35 or RB-5 or RB-75 are quite nice. Solidly anchored stands are VERY important to abate resonance.

I was in the same room as Craig; boy can he snore.[:D]

This excludes Dr. Who because he keeps telling me to get huge speakers that will in no way fit in my room. Ok anyway...

For a 2 channel system would RB-75's fill a 14x14' room nicely?

Bah! Coming from someone who is considering an 8 cubic foot Avalanche 18!

Just get a pair of forte or chorus speakers and be done with it! [:P] I bet we could get could a nice pair to your doorstep in Mempish within the month for about $700. So costing you way less and giving you way better sound.

So where you gonna put these RB-75's if you get them? You're going to have to put them on speaker stands anyway, so why not use that extra floorspace for speaker instead of ugly expensive stand? Surely you don't plan to put them on your desk and expect the great sound you're looking for? [:P][;)]

I have to agree with the Doc. Another option would be some RF-3's or 5's. Same footprint as the 75's on stands and you will pay less money, especially for the 3's. I have a pair of RB-75's in my bedroom but they are on a shelf. Not ideal, but good enough to fall asleep to. They do have a better compression driver than the RF-3's and 5's however. If you can make room, find some Forte's or Forte' II's, much better bang for the buck and they sound awesome! Both Chorus' are great also!

Good luck with your decision!

Tofu -- got your email, no problem. I'm not ordering until Monday, so go ahead and drop the check in the mail.

hi dean,

can you give me your address via PM or e-mail (tofu@phile.net)

oh, and i added a resistor to the list.

2 2.40 mHy inductor wound of AWG #12 solid $63.18

2 .30 mHy inductor wound of AWG #14 Litz wire $18.38

2 .20 mHy inductor wound of AWG #14 Litz wire $15.14

4 20 uFd. +-5% Solen "Fast Cap" $22.44

2 6.8 uFd. +-5% Solen "Fast cap" $5.28

2 MO1000J10R 10 Ohms 10 W 9 x 52 $0.86

4 2.2 uFd. +-5% Solen "Fast caps" $6.88

$132.16

i'll take care of the shipping costs via paypal once you get a quote from whoever you decide to send it by, if that's okay.

thanks.

-chris

Not familiar with the rb 75's but if you are on a tight budget and

looking used I highly recommend the KG 3.5's. I am a huge fan of

the music that come out of these babies. 34 inches high and only ten

inches wide and 11 deep they don't take up much space. Their

bottom end isn't as powerful as the larger types, but I doubt you'd

need a sub for them.

This is the first pair of Klipsch I owned and swap them in and out of

my secondary system all the time and simply love the detail, clarity,

imaging crystalline presentation of these babies complemented by nice

tight bass.

Go gettem!

I'm biased against small speakers. That said, I'll chime in anyway.

Of course you can get good results from smaller speakers - so long as you use a QUALITY, TIGHT, DEEP subwoofer to pair with those "fast" Klipsch. The RB-75 or the Heresy will work fine.....but be on the lookout for a GOOD subwoofer. The other trick is integrating that good subwoofer with the bookshelf mains......the ability to do that makes the difference between money well spent - and not.

An easy way to start would be RB-75 with a Klipsch RSW-12 or 15 (maybe not the depth king, but should integrate well with the RB's and would be very tight), the Heresy would have me trying LOTS of things. Particularly I would want to hear a REL with the Heresys, my gut tells me that would be a good place to start.

As you didn't specifically ask for small "Klipsch only" speakers, my recommendation, if you can find one is a pair of Spica TC-50s. They are no longer made but can be found for about $250-500. You will need stands for these. These are, in my mind, one of the best imaging speakers of all time, regardless of price. And, considering the price, one of the all time steals. You can usually find a pair on audiogon.com or occasionally ebay but I'd probably go the A'gon route as people 'generally' tend to take better care of their equipment. Just my two cents...

Dave