Who's in Dean's .." 10% " ..???

Duke Spinner

Unless you're listening to good music it doesn't actually matter what speakers, amps, or sources you use. Approximately 98% of the people here listen to crap music most of the time. Why be concerned with your system if you're just going to listen to heavy metal, jazz, rap, and that kind of stuff?

yer kidding, right? Please don't tell me that you're now going to demean Forum members due to their musical tastes. Look Parrot, if your daughter were butt ugly, she'd still deserve good wedding photos, likewise, I don't care what jungle, urban, hillbilly, snotty, pretentious music a fellow chooses to listen to, he deserves to hear it loud and clean with Klipsch speakers.

Michael

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope there's a difference between being cheap and poor. Due to some unforseen business circumstances, I have been forced to put off even such inexpensive outlays as speaker reconing, to say nothing of new purchases. I've never had anyone call me cheap before, in fact, I could gladly spend 20K on a new system if I had 30k in the bank, and feel justified in the expense. Needless to say, the dedicated listening room has taken a back seat for the time being.

I haven't had my hearing tested in 15+ years, so who knows.

And my definition of "Crap" changes on an hourly basis, sometimes classical sucks, sometimes rock sucks, sometimes blues/jazz/easy listening/heavy metal/instrumentals suck. Depends on the mood I'm in. However, rap always sucks. [;)]

I associate the word "cheap" with poor quality, and to me it's not the same as "inexpensive". There's certainly a strong relationship between cost and performance, but that sure doesn't mean you can't cook up some excellent sound on a tight budget. When I think about the amount of money it took to surpass the sound of my modded RF-7's it makes me nauseous. A pair of Heresys and a small sub also sounds fantastic to me, and I could easily live with that sound for the rest of my life. "Great sound" is sound that is balanced, clean, and open -- and it's not hard to do with modest means if you're even just paying half attention to the things that are said around here.

Unless you're listening to good music it doesn't actually matter what speakers, amps, or sources you use. Approximately 98% of the people here listen to crap music most of the time. Why be concerned with your system if you're just going to listen to heavy metal, jazz, rap, and that kind of stuff?

Ouch dude. Now you've really hurt my feelings. [:(]

O.K., we can probably have some fun with this.

We have $1000 -- let's build a system.

Well, Dean... knowing how much you like direct radiators, could we start here? - Klipsch RSW-15 Subwoofer + Pair of RF-7 Floor Speakers

http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipsch-RSW-15-Subwoofer-Pair-of-RF-7-Floor-Speakers_W0QQitemZ8354150149QQcategoryZ112388QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Do the x-overs, then hit the credit card for the rest...[:'(]

OK Dean a grand hmmmm...... Not sure you can really do it for that but Umm I guess I'd say a set of Forte's gonna run around $500 ish, an integrated tube amp Scott, Fisher .... umm I'd guess I'll say $400 ish and a B Stock CD player. Now yer still gonna need to do your crossovers in time and probably gonna need to get the amp refurbed. So for a grand it would be tough.

In my experience, Heresies are a superb choice. My Heresies were

only $200 but more commonly I see they have bid up on eBay for $300 -

$500 dollars. I read where Cornwalls are too bass-y but haven't

heard any myself as of yet. You will also need a receiver or an

integrated amplifier if you do not listen to the radio and you need a

CD player. . . . For $1,000 total a sound system is very do-able.

I have spent actually just $200 all-in-all on my own because everything

else was free!!! The BEST way.

Oh well I'd better stop. I know your time is precious.

J.