??? Marantz's Best Tube Preamp ???

Gilbert

The best all-Marantz system I ever heard was a pair of Model 9 amps coupled to a pair of these:

model1old.jpg

The mono "model 1" consolette.

I was so blown away by this sysem (Quad 57 speakers) I spent a couple of years trying to replicate it back in the early 1980's. I found the amps and the speakers but never did scare up a pair of these preamps.

They only ever made two tube preamps as far as I know. The Model 7 strereo preamp and the Model 1 Audio Consolette mono preamp. The Model 1's are pretty hard to come by in decent shape. So I'll say their best tube preamp was a 7 for stereo and a 1 for mono[:)]

Tube amps, you have Model 2, Model 5 and Model 9 mono's. Model 8 and 8B Stereo.

In the mid to late 90's Marantz sourced re-issues of the 7, 8B and 9 to VAC in Florida.

There's not a bad piece in the bunch if you're into vintage.

So many great Marantz Amps ...

My pick for sleeper Marantz amp is the 1060b. The earlier version1060 has a following and is a great SS amp. The 1060b though doesn't get the same press as the older unit. An oversight IMHO due to a preference for older Marantz, and the fact that the design of the 1060 is more classical. The 1060b has those awful sliders that were popular in the late 70s.

The 1060s have been ebaying for $100-200 where as the 1060b often go for the opening price.

I haven't done a side by side comparison of the two, but have heard them both with Klipsch gear, and was duly impressed with each. The 1060b has pre-amp jumpers as well.

Peace,

TommyK

gilbert, scott is right, only two to choose from, those he listed. FWIW, I like my SS marantz preamp the 7T.

If you meant tube amplifier let me put my vote in for the 8b and if you have made a LOT of money on the stock market the 9. regards, tony

Any SS amps?

Danny

7T preamp - Mod 15 - Mod 14 power amps.

The 15 was two mono block 14's connected by a face plate. 60wpc. The Mod 14 mono block had no face plate. It was to be used to drive a center channel.

7T had a center channel out, with a small pot in the back.

Saul's first SS. My first "big time" amps. Think I paid around $350.00 for the set. 1968/'69 maybe. Still have the 15's.

Terry

Yes to the SS Model 7T Preamp (with updated capacitors).

Yes to the SS Model 15 Amplifier (with updated capacitors).

Bought them both on an impulse to compare to the 7C Preamp and 8B amplifier. I prefer the 7T to the 7C. Dead even between the 8B and Model 15 with the latter having tighter bass but slightly diminished sound stage depth. More 'air' around the floating 3D images with SS pair.

I was only going to listen to the paired SS for a long weekend but have decided to cycle though every recording I own on CD/Vinyl and it may take a while. Hard to explain but the 7T plus Model 15 and Klipschorns with ALK xovers appear to be a matched trio. When playing a 'recorded live concert' the end of the room disappears, instruments and voices lock in space, and one is there. Perhaps it was the dust cooking when I first powered up this pair of eBay purchases. It smells like music.

Here it is, 12:48 AM in Atlanta, and I can't shut this system down. I'm confused.

>>>Dan

Yes to the SS Model 7T Preamp (with updated capacitors).

Yes to the SS Model 15 Amplifier (with updated capacitors).

Bought them both on an impulse to compare to the 7C Preamp and 8B amplifier. I prefer the 7T to the 7C. Dead even between the 8B and Model 15 with the latter having tighter bass but slightly diminished sound stage depth. More 'air' around the floating 3D images with SS pair.

I was only going to listen to the paired SS for a long weekend but have decided to cycle though every recording I own on CD/Vinyl and it may take a while. Hard to explain but the 7T plus Model 15 and Klipschorns with ALK xovers appear to be a matched trio. When playing a 'recorded live concert' the end of the room disappears, instruments and voices lock in space, and one is there. Perhaps it was the dust cooking when I first powered up this pair of eBay purchases. It smells like music.

Here it is, 12:48 AM in Atlanta, and I can't shut this system down. I'm confused.

>>>Dan

I have kicked myself for 20 years for allowing the 7T to go.

Dan, Remove the face-plate of the 15's and take a peek![:D]

Terry