All I can figure to rectify the problem is to ride gain, but sometimes

the shooters come out of nowhere and I suspect I wouldn't be able to

react fast enough. What kind of power do I need to get the gunshots

rendered cleanly?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When watching shoot-em-up DVDs, I have not been able to get a good and painful dynamic range. If I set the gunshots at a realistic 140dB, the dialogue becomes abnormally loud and distorted along with it, and whispers sound like real-life shouting. I want my ears to ring for hours after hearing gunfire, but not after just listening to people talking.

All I can figure to rectify the problem is to ride gain, but sometimes the shooters come out of nowhere and I suspect I wouldn't be able to react fast enough. What kind of power do I need to get the gunshots rendered cleanly?

Try Battleship Potemkin--the gunfire will NOT hurt your ears no matter how high you turn up the volume!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001EFTXI/qid=1135904864/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-2207700-2778214?n=507846&s=dvd&v=glance

B0001EFTXI.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

http://www.nostalgia.com/'>

When watching shoot-em-up DVDs, I have not been able to get a good and painful dynamic range. If I set the gunshots at a realistic 140dB, the dialogue becomes abnormally loud and distorted along with it, and whispers sound like real-life shouting. I want my ears to ring for hours after hearing gunfire, but not after just listening to people talking.

All I can figure to rectify the problem is to ride gain, but sometimes the shooters come out of nowhere and I suspect I wouldn't be able to react fast enough. What kind of power do I need to get the gunshots rendered cleanly?

Parrot,

You are just SOL. These darn sound designers don't have a clue about what it is like to be shot at. Most bullets are super sonic. Hence you hear a sonic boom followed by muzzle blast. The delay in the muzzle blast is a function of distance from the shooter to the listener. They never get ti right.

And then what do you do with movies like "A Glimmer of Hell"? This movie has the USS Iowa firing its 16 inch guns and then fires an over-pressure salvo that wipes out the crew in one turret. It looks like you will just have to make do with a lousy 105 to 115 db.

On the other hand, you can go out and fire a 30-06 or 12 ga without ear protection to get your jollies. In the old days, shooters never wore much ear protection. Now they have a touch of tinnitus and are partially deaf, but what the hey.

Bill

I think your problem is, they usually don't use real guns in movies. They're usually cap guns, I think. And if the do use real ones, the sound guys want them used far away, so their ears don't get damaged. Besides, movies with guns are bad for you. You should watch a nature show on PBS, or something.

Seriously folks, even in theaters with decent sound set ups, gunfire does not sound realistic if you have been around live gunfire. Also true with airplane takeoffs and landings, and I have been around a LOT of those. I have been a 767's length from Blue Angels F18's screaming by at 50 feet. My humble opinion is that this is more of a recording issue. I will put in a plug for the 35th anniversary edition of Easy Rider, regarding the planes coming in for landing at LAX at the begining of the movie. The sound does capture the effect of being there quite nicely.

No practical sound system is going to accurately reproduce most big, loud sounds if for no other reason than they don't have the power, even if the speakers could handle it. And sound engineers only want to give you the effect of what is going on, not reproduce the possible hearing damage. The one loud sound I have heard on a DVD that sounded authentic in years was the car crash at the beginning of "The Mexican". My cat normally lies happily in front of my speakers no matter what is coming out of them or how loud. He actually jumped when the car crash came through.

I only know Paul from his postings, but I think he might be "poking fun" at some recent threads. I tend to agree.

Parrot, I think you need at least 400 watts on your KHorns to be able to hear the ringing your looking for. Volume at half of cource. [;)] Turn the volume down when people are talking. I know its a bit of trouble, but thats the best solution I can think of.

Have you ever thought of recording the first version of the Telarc 1812 field cannon and speeding it up to mimic gunfire? If you're good, timing issues might be taken care of. A second system with remote will come in handy. You might have some volume matching issues again but I think it will float if used in conjuction with 1000w of Crown "straightwire with gain" Micro-Tech Ampcake.

...OR, you could hire some middle school kids over to shoot real guns, sychronizing the blasts with the film, while you watch these shootemups. Talk about realism! Wow, I think I just invented the next cult attraction, replacing vebatim dialog-along at The Rocky Horror Picture Show...

I only know Paul from his postings, but I think he might be "poking fun" at some recent threads.

Nothing gets by the crack staff of the Klipsch 2 Channel Forum...

I am not rethinking my original answer, however. Paul, you thought about about moving to VTL MB-750 Monos for a nice 750 watts in Tetrode? Can you imagine the realism and palpable presence of the six shooter? This combined with Fini's theory might push you over the edge of HT Nirvana. The Willing Suspension of Disbelief would become mere hyperbole!

...OR, you could hire some middle school kids over to shoot real guns, sychronizing the blasts with the film, while you watch these shootemups. Talk about realism! Wow, I think I just invented the next cult attraction, replacing vebatim dialog-along at The Rocky Horror Picture Show...

I have tried that, didn't work to well. I took one in the chest and they walk off with my system.

I only know Paul from his postings, but I think he might be "poking fun" at some recent threads.

Nothing gets by the crack staff of the Klipsch 2 Channel Forum....

I think my post is really funny --it was the first one and SPOT on and NOBODY has complimented me on it --it was so witty and so quick. [:(]

I think the gunfire on { Open Range} was good there are a few others i cant remember.I think it has to do how its mixed on the DVD maybe. I have seen movies where the gunfire is not good at all.Rick

The gunfire that I heard in Glenn/Picky's HT was the most realistic I've ever heard. Open Range and Master and Commander were phenomenal. The dialogue was not overpowered, even when the gunshots were high impact.