Am I nuts to consider moving the Khorns to a smaller room?

ben.

OK, they're in a (roughly) 18'x13'x8' living room right now. I'm thinking of moving them into our study, which is 13+'x10'x8'.

Placement on the "long" wall in both cases. I can loosen the top boxes for proper positioning of the upper horns if I move to the smaller room, as aesthetics are a concern only to me in there. In the living room, the listening position is just behind the sweet spot. Also, I could use room treatments in the study, whereas they are out of the question in the LR. Having all my records and cleaner in the listening room would be nice, too... The corners are more perfect in the smaller room, too. The only snag in that regard is a window 3' from one corner, but in the LR, there's an open doorway in the same place.

The big thing is that I'll listen more if I move them...

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. It would be a major undertaking to move things around. Narrow doors, tight turns, wiring through the basement... I just wonder if the bass response will get too funky in a room that small. I could live with the top horns getting unbearable, as I can play around with those easily enough, but what's the point of a great bass horn in a room that can't handle them? (if that's the case)

It won't work out if you re-orient the top bin (not to say I'm sure it will work if you do that).

I tried 11 feet and well as my current 18 feet and it was a joke! Seated well behind the sweet spot, they sounded like far way bookshelf speakers.

Good luck!

Go for it. Mine are on a 16' wall (a compromise between your 2 choices). Just the fact you'll be listening more should tell you! Now, in my situation, one Khorn backs up to a wall ajoining my 14-year-old daughter's room. That equals no early morning, or late night listening (unless the bangs on the wall go with the beat). In fact, I pretty much have to wait until I'm alone in the house to REALLY listen to my music. I guess that compromise is worth it: I have 2 lovely girls (in addition to my beautiful wife) here at home with me. Much better than bein' alone...

Move em.

If you are going to listen to them more and you can play around with room treatment i'd go for it. until i redo my room my khorns are only about 11' apart and they sound great. i replaced my cornwalls with them and i was worried the setup was going to be too small. once i powered my system up all worries were gone.

the only thing i would do first is instead of running all the wire i'd tempo it (lay across the floor) setup everything how you are going to have it, power it up and listen for awhile. that way if you don't like it you didn't put all that much time into it and if you do like it it will make you install everything faster so you can get back to your system and enjoy the music.

let us know how it works out.

danny

Actually Dean is making some sense here (He must have upped his medication!). Listening in mono you will easily determine any room problems you may or may not have. Plus it's easier to move one than two back if you don't like the sound. You really need to try it, Ben. It's not only room dimensions that determine what speaker will sound like in a room. There's all sorts of stuff like construction materials, suspended or concrete floors etc. But I'm not telling you stuff you don't know. I reckon you're just trying to get someone to talk you out of all the hard work! [;)]

So I should try the little 9844A?

Seriously, though... The thing is that I don't want to give up the horn loaded bass. What's working against me in a room this small with the Klipsch bass bins? If it's just a matter of room modes, I can treat my way around that to some extent. I can pull a string or two and get an acoustician out to the house (might cost me an Omaha filet) to assess the situation.

The bottom line is that the smaller room will allow me much more freedom in trying various speakers and other equipment, so it makes sense in that regard.

And Maron, now that you're in diapers once again, your opinion does carry a certain amount of weight, so don't think I disregard it quite like I used to...

I think it will be sonically comfortable, tho' the K's will dominate visually. Mine are across a short 11-foot wall (my only choice corner-wise), and I and guests such as Gary sit about ten feet away or less. Will it be absolutely ideal? Well, no. Will it be satisfactory? I believe so, don't think it will be bad.

I absolutely agree with you on horn-loaded bass, and Corns, Belles and La Scalas probably won't take much less usable room space if any. I don't see nodes occurring, and furniture and carpet or rugs will help the sound (big window acreage would be a minus).

Larry

Ben You dont see any Khorns sitting on top edge of studio mixers in the near field position. Smaller speakers in smaller rooms are optimum for near field listening. When i had to move into a small apartment for a couple of years & had my Khorns in a small bedroom. It sounded awful. Like listening in a closet. I couldnt wait to get the hell out of there. ...Ben tis better to crap in diapers than in your pants.