Preamp suggestions

Macallan

Any 2 channel preamp suggestions with an HT bypass mode? I am highly considering the Peach by JM audio but want to look at all my options. Music Fidelity makes one for about $2500, PS Audio for about 2k, VTL, I would actually prefer a really good solid state but will go tube if i must.

Another vote for JM and you can't beat the service. In my humble opinion, it mates well with a good SS amplifier by rounding off the sharpness, a bit.

Man, I couldn't agree with you more............."In my humble opinion, it mates well with a good SS amplifier by rounding off the sharpness, a bit.[/quot

Having used warmer, but "large sack" SS power amps for a number of years the "rounding off of (SS) sharpness" was not a big deal to me.

I put the little JMA Merlin in front of two Luxman M-117's, and I really like the results. Benefits extend much further than the rounding of hash present in many SS poweramps. I would think that a JMA tube preamp would do wonders for a Crown.

Terry

Find a used Peach and experiment with a couple of tube options. All you have to replace is one 6922 with a good quality Amperex, Bugle Boy, Siemens, etc...and you are laughing. The price is quite affordable for one tube and they do come up on eBay.

There are other options, but at the price, it is hard to beat and sounds great.

"You won't fing a better sounding pre with HT by-pass then the Peach for under $3k. Not a chance."

Insert warm, mellow bell tone here.

On second thought, insert the loudest and shrillest collection of sirens, horns, and gongs here, because this quote hit the bullseye. It's as "on target" as any response on the forum.

There's a reason that so many here have migrated to JM stuff. It's because it delivers HIGH END performance at much less than high end $$$. They are not "cheap", but INEXPENSIVE, relatively speaking, for the performance you get - which is TOP NOTCH. In other words, you get MORE than you pay for.

If you want HT bypass - the Peach is the way to go. Like all say, you will not find better for the price.

preamp tubes are supposed to last 10,000 hours. By the time they wear out, you will be in teh market for a new preamp.

I replaced the main tube in mine with an extremely rare AMperex "pinched waist" tube, cost $250 for the tube. Not bad for the rarest of teh rare and awesome performance. The Tube Depot has some amperex PQ's for sale for $90 right now. You only need one.

The only real "problem" with tubes is waiting for them to warm up. They really "bloom" after about 45 minutes. The Peach has a "standby" setting that keeps the tubes heated so that this is not an issue. I don't use it. I just turn the system on when I get home and y teh time I am ready to listen, it is all ready to go.

Mark is allso an outstanding person and there to help. You will not get this kind of customer service elsewhere (well, maybe Kevin Deal, but be ready to spend some money because he sells expensive stuff).

Chris

I WANT A JMA-900XRI-3A BUT ONLY IF IT IS THX CERTIFIED AND HAS BLUE AND GREEN LED'S AND CAN WITHSTAND A 40' DROP TEST AND HAS 300 WPC FOR ALL 12 CHANNELS AND A 45 POUND POWER SUPPLY AND CAN HOOK UP TO MY IPOD!!!!

$2995, WHAT A BARGAIN!!!

The funny thing is that is you sold the Peach for $4,000, it may then become acceptable in certain circles as true "high end" gear. It reminds me of fashion. Like when I have to ask my wife, "why do those blue jeans cost $300 when my Levi's cost $25 and last forever..."

Chris