Suggestions for Interconnects? etc?

meagain

I was told I should get some decent Interconnects. That most often, the cables that come with non-foofoo gear can be inferior. Keep in mind I just learned yesterday what "interconnects" are exactly. We are using wireing that came with the gear we have (some we also had laying around) and it was suggested to me this might not be the best thing. I took a look and it's a hodge-podge of skinny little wires - some old.

If this is a good idea, can anyone suggest any type or brand to look out for? I see on Ebay they range from $10 to $1300 a pair (1 yard each). [:^)] Far too vast a range for me to choose.

Also, do the prong things one attaches to speaker wire to go into crossovers matter at all? I'm thinking not, they are from a packet of them bought at Radio Shack.

Also - There's a pic in this Ebay khorn that shows beefyish wire from the horns speakers to the x-overs. I've often thought the wires in mine look skimpy but I don't see many posts on this so it's probably also OK.

http://cgi.ebay.com/KLIPSCH-KLIPSCHORN-CLASSIC-HERITAGE-SERIES-SPEAKERS_W0QQitemZ5863194317QQcategoryZ61378QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Oh - and this might be important.... Sometimes, when we're watching say... "24" in HD, surround - when it breaks to a commercial (not surround), there's a "click" or little zap/pop sound thru the speakers. Could this be caused by the wireing, interconnects, jacks, etc? Does anyone else experience this? I really worry this, that it could be hurting "the babies" (khorns). I was thinking if the interconnects matter, it's something fairly easy I could upgrade to and also have them for a long while.

(Sorry for all the questions... Things will be different when the search engine comes back up! I only trust you guys' opinons.)

You are all over the map!! Different topic every day. I hope you don't have too many other hobbies.

You will nto notice a difference in interconnects right now. I upgraded and really did not notice a difference. If you know how to solder you can make some nice interconnects for not much monye.

I use "GLS" RCA ends that are available on ebay for abotu $2 each. I buy 40 at a time. They are nicely made and very good fit and finish. I researched them on other forums and peopel report that the plating does not chip off like other cheap ends.

Then go to a pro music store (like Guitar Center) and get some good quality microphone cable. I like Mogami Quad. it is 65 cents a foot and really nice stuff. If you have any pro gear, you can get XLR ends for about $2.50 each.

As far as speaker wire, just use good quality 14 or 12 guage wire availabel at the home depot (don't use their "Monster look alike" it is crap and will turn green). I like their grey two wire in wall stuff.

But remember, don't mess around with this stuff until you start upgrading. You will nto notice any difference right now and maybe (maybe) a marginal difference later.

Chris

PS - this thread will start several debates -I figure 10 pages by this evening.

CD player to receiver (Harman AVR-435), to TV - that type of stuff. Right now there's an optical cable on the CD player. This was a recent change (I didn't know hubby did this) and I was complaining something "happened" to the sound (worse) and kept asking if he changed anything. Finally, he told me about the optical cable addition so naturally I blamed the and told him to put the old one back on. He just smiled at me and said it doesn't matter. The optical is still plugged in. I suppose he's technically right huh? And I'm just losing my mind?

Chris - I get the Jolida CD player later this week and it was suggested I might want to replace the cabeling. I just wanted to make sure things were 'proper' and not 'below-grade'. I don't want to spend alot of money on this and probably don't need to. I don't mean for it to be a lengthy debate. Just hopeing for a few suggestions.

I am worried about the 'pops' I get though. Wondering if it could be a cable/jack issue. Or maybe the receiver itself?

I have to agree on signal cable products. Our home theater is all connected together with Signal Cable. From speaker wires to interconnects, as well as power chords. Frank is a very good guy, and products are a very good bang for the buck.

With your popping question meagain. Are you using a digital cable with connection to the digital input on the back of your receiver ? You should not have any popping going in and out of commercials.
Jeff

I am worried about the 'pops' I get though. Wondering if it could be a cable/jack issue. Or maybe the receiver itself?

Hi Meagain,

That pop you here is more than likely just the signal your receiving switching from HD to non-HD. Your Khorns just magnify this since they are soooooo sensitive and efficient.

I've been thinking about changing my interconnects too. So far I'm really taking a shine to Kimber Kable Hero's. There are a coouple of dealers for them here and here.Right the whole system is outfitted with Monster Cable Interlink 300's & 400's but I think my system has outgrown the quality of those. Especially since I bought one of these babys!![H]

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=181-652

Those are 3 footers. You can get them longer if you need them longer. Put your money into upgrades that provide a significant improvement to the sound instead of a miniscule shift to the sonic signature. All you need is positive contact and good shielding. The Dayton Audio cables are plenty good enough, and a good value too.

another good place that is competitively priced:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/

I am using some of the IC's they make and am happy.I replaced some very expensive cables with and noticed some small differences which goes to show you that one doesn't need to spend alot to get good sound.

Do a search on google and then do your price comparisons.

Greg

Hey,

Whether cables (now known as interconnects, used to be called patch cords) matter is a highly charged topic in audio. Some knowledgeable people believe they make a huge difference, some knowledgeable people say they make no difference. You can find knowledgable people with opinions at all points in between.

In my opinion, audio is especially susceptible to marketing hype.

Are there times when you may have a mismatched capaciatence, impedence or inductance and that changing an IC to one with a different capacitance, impedence or inductance will correct the problem? Yes.

Is it possible for an IC through a mismatched capacitance, impedence or inductance to act as a tone control or EQ, that just happens to compensate for your individual listening pleasure or component / room acoustics? Yes. Is it likely? No.

Is the cable that came with your component just as likely to the have exact same capacitance, impedence or inductance as the expensive cable? Yes.

YMMV,

TommyK