OT : this is funny, checkout this kid's reaction

ranjith

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We live in the Matrix, remember?

Yeah, Neo. How's it go?

"Did you know that the first Matrix was designed to be a perfect human world? Where none suffered, where everyone would be happy. It was a disaster. No one would accept the program. Entire crops were lost. Some believed we lacked the programming language to describe your perfect world. But I believe that, as a species, human beings define their reality through suffering and misery."

Profound. Cynical. Yet there's truth to it. It is wrong to take away the suffering and misery. Without it, the species will fail.

• Moderators

Whoa there! No need to slam on my parenting style just because I think it's inappropriate to not comfort a child who happends to be scared to tears!

Wow. I'm all for not "sissifying" society, but come on, this is Parental Sensitivity 101.

If it was an older brother, that's different. They are born insensitive.

Nobody's slamming you, Amy. We just like to take these little issues and run both sides pretty hard. What else can you do on Forums. [;)]

For all we know, the guy who pulled the prank (if dad) is a fantastic dad and does all sorts of great, loving things for his kids - while throwing in a cruel prank here and there in the name of "fun." On the other hand, he could do stuff like that every day. If he did the latter, he'd definitely be a tird. So, our perception of the guy depends alot on what we might speculate he does with the rest of his time, which we know nothing about.

You tell 'em, Rich! My sentiments exactly. Competition is what made America great. I think the "praise" and "understanding" movement has gone way too far.

Kid does drugs. Kick his a$$! Makes a C in school? Could do better. Doesn't win the B-Ball game? Could have been a winner.

Makes something of himself. Great kid!. Got an A? Keep up the hard work. Won the B-ball game? Way to go!

These things are best kept separate, so there's no confusion on what brings rewards vs. punishment.

That 'set up' was more like:

* put reefer in the kid's brownies, and when he gets stoned, kick his *** (be sure to videotape)

* rig the test for him to fail, ridicule him when he gets an F (be sure to videotape)

* tie his shoelaces together at the B-Ball game, call him a loser when he falls on his face and bloodies his nose (be sure to videotape).

Cruel is cruel. There is enough cruelty in the world already. You don't have to manufacture it.

I hurt inside when I watched that.

geez

Woo

• Moderators

Nobody's slamming you, Amy. We just like to take these little issues and run both sides pretty hard. What else can you do on Forums. [;)]

Well, that's true enough!

For all we know, the guy who pulled the prank (if dad) is a fantastic dad and does all sorts of great, loving things for his kids - while throwing in a cruel prank here and there in the name of "fun." On the other hand, he could do stuff like that every day. If he did the latter, he'd definitely be a tird. So, our perception of the guy depends alot on what we might speculate he does with the rest of his time, which we know nothing about.

I suppose. But if it was the father of my child pulling crap like that, it would be a chilly few weeks in our household [;)]

It's one thing to be firm with discipline and show the correct way to build self confidence (with actual achievements), and completely another to show compassion when there's fear or sadness--and I think it's also important never to be the one who CAUSES the fear or sadness, whenever possible. That's all I'm saying.

Cruel is cruel. There is enough cruelty in the world already. You don't have to manufacture it.

I hurt inside when I watched that.

geez

Woo

Coming from a kid this actually happened to years ago, I have to say I might be more qualified to answer what effect it has on you. I LMAO thinking about this and the very similar prank that spooked me to tears when I was his age. I'm not bitter in the least, and I think my story is funny to tell. Man, what I would give if the prank on me was videotaped. Talk about memories!

I think the videotaping is "serendipity" to this little boy, who will probably grow up just fine, have a great sense of humor and get a literal kick out of watching himself get scared to tears as a little boy.

I know I would! That stuff is invaluable!

<Disclaimer>

Ok, before the PC police start to gather out in front of my office and burn me in effigy and before good, kind hearted, all loving Oprah runs a show on how rotten I am. Let me clarify my position. If a parent was behind that...bad parent, bad <shaking my finger like I am talking to a dog [&] who has left a present on the carpet>

I doubt it was a parent, because most of the time it is the 15 year old kid in the family who knows how to operate both the computer and the video camera - two key elements in the hilarious prank. So if we go on the assumption that it was the older brother/sister then the younger kid is clearly fair game. Future psycho analysis be damned.

And to back up my theory that it is funny and not cruel this video clip made the rounds where I work earlier in the week in a slightly different format. 5 guys 4 of them parents and 2 women both of them parents though it was pretty darn funny.

I am not the only cold hearted sob out there. Now tie my shoe laces together and pass me some of those brownies woo was talking about. I hear you put hash in them not reefer...so I am told...not really sure.[A]

All of this is probably moot because most of what you see on the Internet and America's Funniest Home Videos are staged. Sorry to be the barrier of bad news. Funny for the NASCAR crowd all the same <ducking for cover>[6]

</Disclaimer>

Oh no Jeff shows up! If this was little Jeff he would sue his brother and the monitor company...and the people who made the prank possible! [:P]

You baiter! [:P] You've got me. That one prank against me years ago stuck with me real bad. I wanted so much to grow up and be more powerful than the prankster that did this to me. I HATED him. For years, I suffered incessantly due to the trappings of my youth which kept me chained down to my inferiority complex. One day - YES, one day - I would grow up. I WOULD SHOW THE WORLD! I would be a lawyer and hit them where it REALLY hurts - their pocketbook! [;)]

No problem rplace, anyone who thinks a good old A$$ wooping is better than time out is not in my peer group anyway.

Jeff, being married to a Political Science Major and knowing you are in litigation law you would argue until the cows came in to make sure your view or point had the last word!

I agree to disagree with this mentality but I also believe in free speach and thought as that is just part of what makes this a great country and has nothing to do with compitition!

I grew up with two older and one younger brother and there is a difference in poking and jabbing and cruelty as heard in this young mans voice, I may have been more on everyone else's side had they pulled back after they heard that fear and consoled him while they explained their prank but all I saw was satisfaction in hurting another! Senseless[:(]

ah...yikes. I'm sorry if I offended anyone with the initial post, I personally thought it was funny. When I was a kid I was at the end of numerous pranks, and this is VERY minor compared to some. I was always a good sport about it, never felt hurt or traumatic. I understand some parents feeling bitter about this prank, and I hope I didn't offend anyone with the post.....humour is afterall subjective.

I remember the first time one of these was passed onto me, I watched it in class with my headphones on. I FREAKED...atleast everybody else got a chuckle out of me:P

I enjoy sick humor but that was just wrong. It might have been funny if

it were "serendipity" or the work of an older brother. The title

of the video clip is "Chad pranks his stepson Justice with scary maze

game". So, the stepdad sets up to scare the crap out of a

trusting 6 or 7 year old kid and then films it. The kid is not

just startled, surprised, or scared - he is horrified and his response is pure

fight-or-flight reaction. The poor kid is terrified, sobbing, and

looking for protection but Chad-the-stepdad keeps the camera going and

even laughs. He thinks it's soooo funny that he lets his friend

post it on the internet (over 4 million views so far). According

to the web site they have a good laugh together afterward. I

don't care if he bought the kid a double dip ice cream cone, it's a

form of child abuse and Chad-the-stepdad is a jerk.

I enjoy sick humor but that was just wrong. It might have been funny if

it were "serendipity" or the work of an older brother. The title

of the video clip is "Chad pranks his stepson Justice with scary maze

game". So, the stepdad sets up to scare the crap out of a

trusting 6 or 7 year old kid and then films it. The kid is not

just startled, surprised, or scared - he is horrified and his response is pure

fight-or-flight reaction. The poor kid is terrified, sobbing, and

looking for protection but Chad-the-stepdad keeps the camera going and

even laughs. He thinks it's soooo funny that he lets his friend

post it on the internet (over 4 million views so far). According

to the web site they have a good laugh together afterward. I

don't care if he bought the kid a double dip ice cream cone, it's a

form of child abuse and Chad-the-stepdad is a jerk.

Yep, what you said. To go to that site by yourself is one thing and you

can laugh at it at the time but to do it to a trusting kid.......[:@]

Just out of curiosity... scaring a kid on

halloween night is probably not very far from this video, and if that

is acceptable why isn't this?

That's a good point but on Halloween, kids expect a scare. I also

think this kid was just too young and unsuspecting for that intense of

a scare. Even if it was an ill-conceived prank, the poor kid was terrified so put the damn camera down, hug him, and

stop laughing at him.

Added: A kid should feel safe at home with a "parent

figure". Filming this "prank" and putting it out on the internet

betrayed and

mocked the trust of an innocent child. Chad-the-stepdad is scum.

Yeah, that poor kid. Why, he'll be affected the rest of his life. Next week, we'll see his grades are dropping. Then, with his shattered nerves, the other boys will think he's a wuss and won't play with him anymore. His life is ruined. What an a$$ for a step-father!

There's no way a guy could ever do that to a step-son, yet somehow still be a good parent..... No way!

Jeff, being married to a Political Science Major and knowing you are in litigation law you would argue until the cows came in to make sure your view or point had the last word!

That was awfully mean, what you said. [:(] I am a very sensitive person, and you totally betrayed my trust in sharing my feelings openly on this forum. I'm so hurt by those mean comments. Instead of laughing at me for who I am, you should be more understanding and apologize. I'll never trust again. Boo, hoo, hoo! [:(] [:P]