OT : this is funny, checkout this kid's reaction

ranjith

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was the tactics of a typical bully/punk father. Not a life lesson to toughen up a kid, just something to terrify him and ridicule him. If someone did this to my daughter they would spend the remainder of thier days in a vegetative state.

For those who have resorted to name calling the people that think this is not funny(whiners comment comes to mind) you seem to be showing the same mentality as the person that made the tape. You've already lost the debate if all you have left is name calling. But if it makes you all sleep better at night then by all means continue.

Anyone ever stop to think that maybe the camera quit rolling so the step father could console the child? This was mild compared to some of the stuff I suffered. I turned out fine.

That's a matter of opinion, Rick...[;)]

Tough guys:

Call me a wuss. It's OK. But do that to a kid in my presence, and I'll kick your a$$. You'll be better for it, too.[:D]

Oh CMon now fini, we all know that I'm the person we all strive to be. [;)] [:D]

I must temper my last post. I doubt I'd kick anyone's a$$, since I've never done that in my 50 years. I guess if I had to I would (after all, I have two teenage daughters, and boys come a-sniffin' around ;^), but it'd be a rare occurance. I have my ways of getting people to see my pov...

Its quite interesting to see everybody argue over this. I do agree that it was probably a little over the top, but only slightly. But I don't think it will really affect this kid all that much in the long run.

On another note, I do agree with Jeff that parents need to toughen up their kids. Is it just me or has the "sensivity" scale of society shot skyward in the recent years. When I was a kid, we kids fought over things all the time and it was purely our competitive nature. It never gave any of us an inferiority complex or made us insecure, it made us want to try harder and be better. I think kids need to be taught that when they're shot down, they need to get up with more intensity and passion and to accomplish what they were after. Not be comforted into accepting being the 2nd best at something. I'm a firm believer in the saying "No Pain, No Gain" Think about it, you've learnt your hardest and most valuable lessons when you've been in rough waters. Being happy-go-lucky is all fun and games, until the reality settles - the reality that the strongest survive. Theres so much competition in today's world... to make a sports team, to get admission into a univ, to get a job, etc etc and only the toughest will survive. Every single guy cousin of mine is older to me, I've been at the receiving end of many pranks, bullying around and such. It only made me wanna get back up everytime and show them they can't push me, I'm tougher than that.

................The old "reason-with-your 2-3 year-old" thing is what

has resulted in tens of thousands of kids on Ritalin, claiming all

their unruliness and slothful behavior is due to attention deficit

disorder. A-D-D my a$$. I could fix that A-D-D in 10

minutes, and they'd pay real good attention from then on.

It wouldn't take many beatings, either. That's the beauty of it. [;)]

It's pure conjecture to say that "the old reason-with-your-2-3-year-old

thing" is what screwed up so many kids. Couldn't the

hyperactivity and unruliness also be caused by rotten parents who scare

their kids for the fun of it, or just plug them into the TV or video

games and never just play with them or read a book with them?

These parents then have the gall to turn around and blame whatever

school system they are in for the way the kids turn out. It's all

about maturity, setting a good example, consistency, and personal

responsibility with kids, you don't have to beat them or ridicule

them. C'mon there's no question about it - that kid should never have been

forced to see that. He's still young enough to believe in Santa

Claus and the Easter Bunny. That was child abuse.

But think about it. We see that the "proper" way to teach kids is to be "open," to be their "friend," to not "get angry," to "work out the problem" with reason.

Poppycock! No wonder we see all kinds of aimless 20-year-olds who should be making a life for themselves, living at home while doing nothing and saying "I don't know what I want to do. Boo hoo..." All the while, they find time to go play/party with their friends. And to think parents have patience with that.

If, by the time a kid is 5 or 6, they don't have reason enough to solve these kinds of issues on their own, there's a problem. Yes, kids DO learn reason that young. They learn by serious consequences during age 2 or 3 - ones they respect but get over.

"It's all about maturity, setting a good example, consistency, and personal responsibility with kids, you don't have to beat them or ridicule them."

Amen.

.... except for when, despite all your maturity, consistency and responsibility, they still do something very bad. Then, you let 'em have it.... Sometimes, it's right a parent gets made enough to give the impression to the kid that they're "out of control."

But think about it. We see that the

"proper" way to teach kids is to be "open," to be their "friend," to

not "get angry," to "work out the problem" with reason.

Poppycock!

No wonder we see all kinds of aimless 20-year-olds who should be making

a life for themselves, living at home while doing nothing and saying "I

don't know what I want to do. Boo hoo..." All the while,

they find time to go play/party with their friends. And to think

parents have patience with that.

If, by the time a kid is 5 or

6, they don't have reason enough to solve these kinds of issues on

their own, there's a problem. Yes, kids DO learn reason that

young. They learn by serious consequences during age 2 or 3 -

ones they respect but get over.

I agree with your points and we may just be arguing for the fun of

it. Of course a kid needs to learn to respect the boundries set

for him/her and there must be prompt consequences. But I think

it's important to emphasize is that inflicting fear is not they way to

teach personal responsibility, respect, and courage.

But think about it. We see that the "proper" way to teach kids is to be "open," to be their "friend," to not "get angry," to "work out the problem" with reason.

Poppycock! No wonder we see all kinds of aimless 20-year-olds who should be making a life for themselves, living at home while doing nothing and saying "I don't know what I want to do. Boo hoo..." All the while, they find time to go play/party with their friends. And to think parents have patience with that.

If, by the time a kid is 5 or 6, they don't have reason enough to solve these kinds of issues on their own, there's a problem. Yes, kids DO learn reason that young. They learn by serious consequences during age 2 or 3 - ones they respect but get over.

I agree with your points and we may just be arguing for the fun of it. Of course a kid needs to learn to respect the boundries set for him/her and there must be prompt consequences. But I think it's important to emphasize is that inflicting fear is not they way to teach personal responsibility, respect, and courage.

Yeah. How did we get from the video to this? Spooking the boy is certainly not going to be a main contributor to his developmental success in terms of responsibility. It will put a little "crust" on him, though, which is often helpful in trying/intimidating situations.

Sure, there are many ways to put that crust on him, but what was done is not so horrid. I wouldn't make a habit of it, but if he was made scared enough in his young life to pee all over himself, he'll better be able to hold in the pee down the road. You know what I mean.

I don't think this has anything to do with toughening up your kid. You toughen up your kid by teaching them how to deal with negative things that happen to them, and striving to do the right thing in the face of this often unfair world. You support them-- and you don't stop at 5 or 6 years old.

This video is all about the stepdad--he was so desperate for attention that he used a trusting child for his kicks of being popular on the web. Selfish piece of dirt--

That's not tough love-its "look at me - I found a sucker"--what a jerk!

Yeah. How did we get from the

video to this? Spooking the boy is certainly not going to be a main

contributor to his developmental success in terms of responsibility.

It will put a little "crust" on him, though, which is often helpful in

trying/intimidating situations.

Sure, there are many ways to put

that crust on him, but what was done is not so horrid. I wouldn't make

a habit of it, but if he was made scared enough in his young life to

pee all over himself, he'll better be able to hold in the pee down the

road. You know what I mean.

Yeah, I know what you mean, but there's plenty of time for getting crusty as a kid grows older. Let

them just be kids so they can explore and enjoy a stable world for

awhile. The harsh lessons will come and if they are secure and happy, they'll cope just fine.

Yeah, the self confidence to take on a challenge comes from a sense of

security, belief in your ability, and knowing that you can endure the

consequences. I don't think that a screaming monster leaping out

of a computer screen at an unsuspecting child teaches anything but fear

and insecurity. I think that kid was just too young to know that

it couldn't really hurt him. What kind of person is that stepdad

for doing that and thinking it was funny. I doubt that he had any

high motive for developing that kids confidence.