All-Time Greatest Guitarist

Jeff Matthews

... anyone who

can write the "Satisfaction" riff is OK with me. I mean, is there

REALLY any question that this is the single most indendifiable riff in

the history of Rock and Roll....

Almost! "Smoke on the Water."

Jeff's right. No doubt at all about that one. It's the

first thing any kid with an electric guitar learns to play. And play.

And play.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to side with Allan on this one. He states that the satisfaction riff is the single most identifiable. Maybe for rock and rollers Smoke on the water is more identifiable, but to the general public satisfaction is, even if it is because according to garymd that it is the most overplayed.

... anyone who can write the "Satisfaction" riff is OK with me. I mean, is there REALLY any question that this is the single most indendifiable riff in the history of Rock and Roll....

Almost! "Smoke on the Water."

We learned "Dirty Water" by, I don't know who the hell it was...... but it was way before the smoke and satisfaction......

There are too many great guitarists to list in a day.

David Gilmour

Peter Frampton

Mike Campbell

Joe Satriani

Eric Clapton

Mark Knopfler

on and on.....................................................................................................and on............

Satisfaction is the most overrated, overplayed POS song in rock history.

No offense to any Stones fans out there but they're also the most overrated rock band in history.

Please don't hurt me.[;)]

JM

HO of course.

Are You kidding me, the most overrated band; The Grateful Dead hold that title!! You see the problem with this type of question? There are many answers but no real facts to prove who is best. The Rolling Stones list is just one of many, and it is their opinion,and it doesn't mean they are right or wrong. No one answer is right. I do not understand why if people don't agree they start bashing other peoples choices. No one is perfect, we all have a crack in our ***. Satisfaction like many older songs, was a song some of us older guys grew up with. I was never a Dylan fan, but many of his songs were the back ground music for a generation. The Stones have had 40 plus years of making music history, and only ONE change in the line up.(other than Bill Wyman retiring.) I admit they haven't had a great albumn in 20 years, but the live show is Top Notch. Just had the pleasure of seeing them again in Albany N.Y. in a 14,000 seat arena, it's was great. Who started this thread anyway??

Satisfaction is the most overrated, overplayed POS song in rock history.

No offense to any Stones fans out there but they're also the most overrated rock band in history.

Please don't hurt me.[;)]

JM

HO of course.

Are You kidding me, the most overrated band; The Grateful Dead hold that title!! You see the problem with this type of question? There are many answers but no real facts to prove who is best. The Rolling Stones list is just one of many, and it is their opinion,and it doesn't mean they are right or wrong. No one answer is right. I do not understand why if people don't agree they start bashing other peoples choices. No one is perfect, we all have a crack in our ***. Satisfaction like many older songs, was a song some of us older guys grew up with. I was never a Dylan fan, but many of his songs were the back ground music for a generation. The Stones have had 40 plus years of making music history, and only ONE change in the line up.(other than Bill Wyman retiring.) I admit they haven't had a great albumn in 20 years, but the live show is Top Notch. Just had the pleasure of seeing them again in Albany N.Y. in a 14,000 seat arena, it's was great. Who started this thread anyway??

You know I was just giving Allan a hard time.[;)]

HOWEVER, saying the Grateful Dead was the most overrated/overplayed group is just absurd! It's just the opposite! They rarely got any airplay and only had ONE top 40 song (Touch Of Grey) which wasn't even a very good song by their standards! I'll put Garcia/Hunter songwriting up against Jagger/Richards/(whomever else helped write their songs) any day. I'll take Terrapin Station over ANYTHING the Stones ever wrote. It's all a matter of opinion of course. I really like the older Stones tunes (pre mid-70s). As a matter of fact, I just bought a really nice MFSL LP of Sticky Fingers and I love it!

Keith RIchards' is a pretty fair rythym guitarist and a helluva composer--I mean. anyone who can write the "Satisfaction" riff is OK with me. I mean, is there REALLY any question that this is the single most indendifiable riff in the history of Rock and Roll and arguably the greatest tune in the whole history of the music?

To be honest I haven't even hears of half of the guys you folks are nominating, but I'll stick with Charlie Christian as the "best" or most "important" guitar player in the history of POPULAR music.

I'll throw a few up that are pretty easily recognized.

Led Zepplin:

Rock and Roll, Over the Hills and Far Away, and of course Stairway to Heaven

Pink Floyd:

Wish You Were Here.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Lynyrd Skynyrd:

Freebird

and the list goes on. Thing is there is a ton of rock music up until the mid 70's that is instantly recognizable. What I want to know is what is keeping Keith Richards alive???? I never knew you could survive the embalming process!

Yes !!! finally a Dutch band , thank you D-man.......

Focus with Jan Akkerman guitar and Thijs van Leer on flute and Pierre van der Linden on drums.

But even Jan Akkerman had a big fight with Thijs van Leer about who is the best in that band................

finally the band broke up !

Maybe Jan Akkerman can play ............I feel more comfortable with Jimi Hendrix........

Bennyboy

FOCUS; weren't they Jethro Tull rip-offs?

yer wrong there, Bucky ......[:)]

There you go again calling me Bucky. Didn't I write you about that before? One song; "Hocus Pocus", one albumn, not a very long career. Your right, they weren't Tull rip-offs; They weren't good enough to rip-off TULL!!! OOOPS, sorry about the double post!!!!

There you go again calling me Bucky. Didn't I write you about that before? One song; "Hocus Focus", one albumn, not a very long career. Your right, they weren't Tull rip-offs; They weren't good enough to rip-off TULL!!!

Why the fighting? Can't we all just Bungle in the Jungle? [:D]

There you go again calling me Bucky. Didn't I write you about that before? One song; "Hocus Pocus", one albumn, not a very long career. Your right, they weren't Tull rip-offs; They weren't good enough to rip-off TULL!!!

Why the fighting? Can't we all just Bungle in the Jungle? [:D]

"That would be alright by me"!!!

I am kind of surprised that Steve Howe has not been mentioned at all. And the fact that he was not included in the Rolling Stone Top 100 is a joke. Looking at their list, he should be in the top 15 at least. He is not the best by any means, but c'mon, the man can flat play. Listen to "The Clap" for example, pretty nifty stuff. He could easily wax some of the top 10's I have seen in some of the lists in this thread.

Jimi is and always has been the man to me. But, SRV does really stir my soul.

I know I already mentioned Blackmore, Schenker and Roth but I should have included the late Randy Rhoads. Randy played a huge role helping Ozzy get back on his feet after Sabbath. March 19th 1982 was a sad, tragic day, but the hair still stands up on the back of my neck everytime I play Crazytrain.