What a great weekend!

boomac

I flew into Philly last Friday and had a good visit with two pals that I grew up with. One guy lives locally and the other drove up from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Virginia to join us. We stopped at a little joint near the airport, (Nifty Fiftys) for a cheese steak, a cherry coke and several hours of BS. Great fun! We then drove to the old stomping grounds to visit my aunt and uncle.

On Saturday, my friend Bill drove me down to Maryland where I met up with the G-Man. Gary took me over to his place and after saying hello to Katherine; we took a few minutes to check out Garys up-dated system. We were rushed so I didnt really get a chance to listen critically but that would come later. After a quick diner, we flew (the G-Man calls it driving) down to the Strathmore Concert Hall, in Bethesda, where we met Larry Clare and friends for performances of Rimsky Korsakoffs Scheherazade and Camille Saint-Saens Symphony No 3 in C Minor. Larry had procured excellent seats, (almost directly above the orchestra) which really enhanced the overall experience. (As a kid, I would have been tempted to toss pennys into the tuba!) Strathmore is a beautiful Concert venue with wonderful acoustics and our location was perfect.

After the performance, we drove over to Larrys and I finally got to see the Joule Electra 100 watt mono blocs. They are absolutely beautiful, especially sitting there in close proximity to the magnificent 62 mahogany Klipschorns. Larry keeps the balance of his equipment in another room along with his media collections. His CD player is a Wadia (separate transport and power supply) that's been modded to the hilt and his TT is a Basis Ovation with Vector tonearm and Transfiguration Temper. It looks like its part of a space ship! The Joule Electra pre amp, with separate power supply is equally attractive. How did it sound? Well, for a comparison, Larry played a portion of his vinyl recording of Scheherazade. I paid close attention, in particular, to the violin solo. Whether it was the talents of the violinist or Larrys audio equipment I dont know but the music was absolutely stunning. (It was no doubt both!) We also listened to Dvoraks Symphony No 8 and it too, was very enjoyable. If you want to listen to classical music as it should be heard, Larry's is the place to be. I still can't get those amps out of my mind. In fact, I'm leaving for a few days in Vegas this afternoon and if I get lucky, (well, very lucky) I'll be callin' Larry to find out how I can get a pair of those beauties! I ain't never seen nothin' like um!

Although we were somewhat tired, once back at the G-mans we proceeded to listen to several jazz, rock and classical selections he had picked out. This was my first real opportunity to hear music via his Basis Table, VRDs and Blueberry Extreme. I believe his Khorns had recently benefited from a pair of Deans crossovers so they were up dated as well. I immediately approved and enjoyed the music immensely. Garys system sounded terrific the last time I was in town but this was really a special treat. Clarity and detail were wonderful and the soundstage was just as it should be. I think the blend of Garys equipment is very complimentary to all music genres.

Getting to listen to music through two dandy systems and attending an excellent concert made this trip well worth while. Sunday, it was up to PA and then back home to WI last night.

Thanks to all that made it a special weekend and to Larry and Gary for the wonderful hospitality and musically excellent experience.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Scott, thanks very much for your awesome writeup! It was such a special treat to have you come down for this and to join our group. In my opinion, this was the concert of the year, at least at Strathmore.

I agree about how well suited Gary's set is to all genres. The Joule OTLs are as much about delicacy as anything.

So, next time, make it down in time for our dinner! And you'd have to win pretty big in Vegas, BTW.

Again -- thanks!!!!

Always a pleasure Scott. It isn't often enough that we get to share our systems and music with friends and have time to catch up on all the goings-on of our busy lives.

Scheherazade was by far the most enjoyable classical concert I've ever attended. The performance was suprisingly good for the National Philharmonic and the seats Larry gets make the experience even greater as we have a birds-eye view of the musicians. It was just an awesome experience.

Thanks for the nice write-up Scott. Now go win a lot of money in Vegas!

I think I'll re-post a picture of the Strathmore interior showing where we sat. You can see how great the view would be of nearly all the instruments of the orchestra. It's very interesting and easy to see the individual ones and various sections as they play these complicated works.

post-12148-13819283729272_thumb.jpg

I think I'll re-post a picture of the Strathmore interior showing where we sat. You can see how great the view would be of nearly all the instruments of the orchestra. It's very interesting and easy to see the individual ones and various sections as they play these complicated works.

Wow,beautiful space.Would love to hear music there! I enjoy the smaller older venues here in the midwest that were designed for sound,sure beats the stadium scene and you even have a comfy chair to sit in.

Greg

Wow,beautiful space.Would love to hear music there! I enjoy the smaller older venues here in the midwest that were designed for sound,sure beats the stadium scene and you even have a comfy chair to sit in.

Greg

The era of stadium concerts is a sad one. I still regret passing up an opportunity to hear Roy Orbison in a bar in Milwaukee.

Some of the greatest music I have ever heard was created in bars!!

Just last Sunday, Benn Clatworthy and Theo Saunders at a bar in Whittier called "Phlight." Two of the best musicians working in Los Angeles and there were about 25 people there. GREAT show!! Clatworthy is one of the best tenors in LA!!

Small ensemble jazz is best in the intimate confines of a lounge or bar, small to medium auditoriums and theaters are OK, but large auditoriums and stadiums are too big even for The Stones.

We are blessed with Baker's Keyboard Lounge, a great jazz venue, as well as a few other clubs, here in Detroit.

Where's a good place to listen to Jazz or Blues in St. Louis, MO?

I'll have to be making repeated visits there in the up comming months, and would like to know a great place to go and check out, enjoy some music and drink a beer or two, or three.......

My wife and I were 2 of about 10 people to show up at the Hard Rock Cafe in Baltimore to see Nils Lofgrin about 10 years ago. We sat with him and his family and had dinner. Great show and a really good time.

Out in LA with Allan last year, it just blew me away to see all those great players in the small bars and hotel lobbies. It was much more enjoyable seeing Bobby Shew, John Heard, John Mayer and Roy McCurdy at Charlie Os then watching Sonny Rollins at Disney Hall from the 2nd level. Not that Sonny wasn't great but the intimacy of a small bar just can't be beat.

Not to hijack the thread, but another great show in a small venue was the Steve Martin Mull show at a converted grocery store in Atlanta c. 1972(?). Do you believe that Steve Martin ever opened for Martin Mull? Steve was very funny and Martin played a mean electric guitar.

Gary, Larry, and NOVA members..... I miss the Birchmere so much! That is a place I have been to probably 30 or 40 times. If you get there when it opens (5:00) you can sit at a table right at the stage (where I always sat). Have mixed drinks (or wine), a nice dinner and see a hell of a show for under $50.

I could have grabbed Rickie Lee Jones' leg while she was playing the piano. I have seen Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes (twice), Marc Cohn, America, Dave Mason (twice), NRBQ, Lowen and Navarro, and Michael Hedges there just to name a few.

Anyway, down here there is nothing as intimate as that. I hear there is a place in Annapolis very similar.

Mike