Crites Tweeter

DRBILL

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Everyone feels it's a drop-in well-suited to the AK-4 and it's lower, 4500 Hz x-over point."

In the case of the AK-4 there is more to consider than the 4.5kHz transition point. The AK-4 is a computer modeled optimized filter. Delgado optimized the tweeter section of the AK-4 specifically for the K-77. There is a value in the tweeter section that has always bugged the crap out of me -- I can't for the life of me figure out how he came up with it. It wouldn't hurt to email/PM him to see what he says.

:) Well, I'm hearing favorable comments so far. I still get harshness & irritation (sometimes I cringe a bit!) but I don't know where it's coming from. I assume the tweeter. If that's the case, would these Bobtweets chill that out for me a bit? I'm going to hold off on everything till I change amps as I think that will help me quite a bit, but this is what I'd like to know.

It's certainly a doable, semi-painless price in the grand scheme of things.

I still get harshness & irritation (sometimes I cringe a bit!) but I don't know where it's coming from.

Perhaps it's coming from the recording.

I've owned Speakerlab SKhorns, Cornwalls, La Scalas and Heresies (as well as many non-horn speakers) and I know what you mean about occasional harshness. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Lately I've been primarily listening to my single driver rear horn DIY speakers with Radio Shack 40-1197 drivers and they sound harsh occasionally. Similarly, the high school band director to whom I sold La Scalas has occasionally mentioned concerns about sound quality, although generally he thinks theyre fantastic. Horn loaded speakers in general, and Klipsch in particular, will faithfully reproduce the input signal, hence the term high fidelity. IMO, many recordings have flaws that are revealed by high fidelity speakers but masked by mediocre speakers.

The band director agrees that excellent recordings sound great from the La Scalas, whereas some cheap recordings sound awful. Excellent high fidelity speakers will exacerbate the flaws of poor recordings. The high sensitivity available allows the poor quality to be magnified. If it sounds bad at low volume, its going to sound worse at high volume.

"I still get harshness & irritation (sometimes I cringe a bit!) but I don't know where it's coming from."

---Perhaps an analgesic cream in the affected area would help. [:)]

I am going to get my single today, and it will be going in my center channel La Scala tomorrow if it is a hit as I am sure it will be, I will be ordering a z-bracketed pair for my Klipschorn mains! I am running a DeanG modded DHA2Xover in my center which is a type A so it should be sweet!

Well... I decided to work from home today. Just put the tweets in my La Scala's. Can you say pain in the ***? [:D] Bob, you could have mentioned it would have been easier to lay them down on their fronts. [;)] Actually, it only took 25 minutes but you have to be patient.

I am presently listening to the Saint-Saens Symphony #3, and am digging it so far. More to come later...

Mike

:) Well, I'm hearing favorable comments so far. I still get harshness & irritation (sometimes I cringe a bit!) but I don't know where it's coming from. I assume the tweeter. If that's the case, would these Bobtweets chill that out for me a bit? I'm going to hold off on everything till I change amps as I think that will help me quite a bit, but this is what I'd like to know.

It's certainly a doable, semi-painless price in the grand scheme of things.

Probably not a tweeter problem either.....

The tendency is to put all the blame on the squawker for "harshness". However, what people invariably discover is that as you up the quality of everything in the chain things smooth out considerably. Still, even with great gear and good networks, especially those that roll off the top end of the squawker's response -- there is still some glare and low level "nasties" that get pushed up as power levels are increased.

As discussed plenty of times in the past - the Heritage exponential horns do not provide a smooth launching point for the sound coming off the mouth of the horn, and reflected energy around and off the mouth travels back towards the throat which contributes to a condition commonly referred to as "throat distortion". The narrow throats certainly don't help the situation. Finally, the nature of these horns is that they push, "squirt", and throw the sound out. Ideally, you want the sound to leave the mouth of a horn much like a bubble leaves the face of bubble wand. Notice that all Klipsch products, including just about everything in the pro/cinema lines use tractrix horns.

Now, with all that out of the way, I want to say that I LIKE the sound of the old horns -- as long as you keep power levels sane. No, in the world of horns they are not "great" horns, but I will still take the sound they produce over any dynamic radiator "audiophile" type speaker. At this point I can only say that if one wants the cleanest and smoothest output possible from their midrange -- they HAVE to move away from the old horns. No amount of money thrown into gear upgrades will do what a simple move to the tractrix does.

This leaves the tweeter. I never had an issue with the K-77 until I pulled it out of my system. I was involved in an exchange here with someone ('Hardhead' maybe) who assured me the K-77 was a contributing factor to the "harshness" people sometimes ascribe to the Heritage speakers. I don't remember what I said exactly, but I wasn't feeling very diplomatic that day.:) Well, he was right and I was wrong.

It's utterly depressing to drop the little Eminence driver into the system, it is after all only a $30 driver -- but it makes the K-77 sound like finger nails across the chaulkboard by comparison. There is a huge leap in performance with this changeout, and yes -- less "harshness" overall, as this new option contributes exactly zero to the problem.

I can't take it anymore!!! I have always been too embarrassed to ask, but I hear you talking about drivers and horns, and folded horns. The horn is self explanatory, but what exactly is the driver? Can one upgrade to a tractrix horn and keep the same driver or keep the same driver and change the horn ? I am assuming that the driver is what connects to the horn and it has a voice coil or some kind of diaphram in order to push the air and generate a sound wave the drivers given frequency range? I am sure the horn is like a waveguide in respect to the fact that is height and width are tuned to a particular range, or am I all wet.

I haven't looked inside my LS, but is it the doghouse that gives the folded horn? I think it is due to the fact that a low frequency sound wave is long and the folded horn is tuned to that length. Please don't put me in the corner with the dunce cap, but in words taken from "Dirty Harry", "Man I just gotta Know"!!!!

I can't take it anymore!!! I have always been too embarrassed to ask, but I hear you talking about drivers and horns, and folded horns. The horn is self explanatory, but what exactly is the driver? Can one upgrade to a tractrix horn and keep the same driver or keep the same driver and change the horn ? I am assuming that the driver is what connects to the horn and it has a voice coil or some kind of diaphram in order to push the air and generate a sound wave the drivers given frequency range? I am sure the horn is like a waveguide in respect to the fact that is height and width are tuned to a particular range, or am I all wet.

I haven't looked inside my LS, but is it the doghouse that gives the folded horn? I think it is due to the fact that a low frequency sound wave is long and the folded horn is tuned to that length. Please don't put me in the corner with the dunce cap, but in words taken from "Dirty Harry", "Man I just gotta Know"!!!!

You've got it down MB.[:)]

I have also found myself thinking, in all respect, that Mr. Paul would have been pleased with the sound of this tweeter and configured as a drop in replacement for the K77.

Also, if my understanding of the necessity of the AA crosover design, I've thought that if this tweeter had been available to Mr. Paul back in the day, he would have passed on the AA crosover altogether.