My New Khorn Listening Room is finally finished! - Pictures Attached

Cut-Throat

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dig oak myself -- that looks awesome Kevin.

I don't know diddly about your mid drivers Kevin, but I assume they go out much further than 6kHz -- where did you put your cut-off on those Type A's?

Dean,

I am using the Altec 288-16K Large format drivers (They weigh about 40 lbs. apiece!) - They are rated from 500-15,000 cps. Replacing the Khorn mid-range with the Altec horn and driver was the biggest improvement I have ever made to an audio system. I originally tried them on my Belles and it was a bigger improvement than the Khorn upgrade! Simply 'Jaw Dropping'!

I know about 10% of what you know regarding crossovers. I have not fooled at all with them, as I wanted to get the room finished first before I mess with them. So they are the 'standard' Type 'A's tapped on lugs 4 & 5 of the Autoformer. I may fool with them after many hours of serious listening. Got any suggestions?

You are running Klipsch Type As with the 288s? Isn't that bright?

Unless your diaphragms are bad there is no way the 288s are rolling off

naturally at 6kHz. The Klipsch Type A is just a high pass for the

squawker, not a bandpass. They will get up to 10kHz or 12kHz pretty

easily. The K77 will be coming in at 6kHz and you will be duplicating

the output between the two drivers for around an octave.

If they are ALK Type A's then no problem. It will roll off the 288 at the transition to the tweeter.

Shawn

Very beautiful room there, Cut-throat! Very masculine design. I have to ask, though: Why are there doors and drawers behind the speakers?

I'm not too sure those are cabinet drawers, or a door. I think it's just trim work, because I don't see any handles. I like the cabinet work, but as sexy as those speakers are, there's little contrast between the cabinet work and the speaker finish. Which, personaly, I would not have done with a From Scratch (I think that was the case) custom listening room. Very nice cabinet work, and a fine system. Congrats'.

I never wished I had more room in my little home while I was completely going the through it from the roof to the foundation, but your beautiful attic shows me how nice it is to have the extra room when mapping out a project!!

Outstanding work,

Regards,