6L6 vs. EL 34 vs. EL84 vs. KT66 vs. KT88 vs. 350B vs. 2A3

Piranha

Ok, listen up sports fans and I'll give you a quick rundown on March Madness Brackatology:

In the Western Division we have the number 9 seed 6L6 Muskatoons in an

uphill battle against the the number 1 seeded Fighting Ferrets from

EL34 U.

In the South its the Number 7th seeded Krakatoa KT66's Clarence County

Teachers College overmatched against the The Mighty Mites number one

seed EL84 University (also known fondly as the 7189'ers)

In the Midwest Region we've got a tossup with the always competive

Number 2 seeded Killer Tornadoes KT88's versus the Number 1 seeded

350B-1 Bombers out of Bug Tussle, Kansas.

Rounding out the field up North we have the Number 1 Enfant Terribles

of the Lehigh Valley League, those stellar rascals the 2A3's, versus

the scrappy and almost completly unknown Crimson Crapauds, the 6BM8'ers

of the 38th and U Street Community College. Look for a major

upset here folks.

LET'S GO ORANGE! LET'S GO ORANGE

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO 'CUSE!

In my MarkIII's I have listened to KT88, KT90 and 6550. Of these, my favorite is 6550. More specifically, of the 6550's tried, both Svetlana and vintage Tung Sol... all round prefer the Svetlana current manufactured 6550's. The vintage Tung Sols are just to pricey and the Svetlanas sound darn good.

The one your amp was designed around in the first place.

On that basis, I was going to toss in the 6C33B, the output tube that Boomac and I have (the larger bottles behind the smaller tubes in front) --
Can you please tell us more about this tube?

On that basis, I was going to toss in the 6C33B, the output tube that Boomac and I have (the larger bottles behind the smaller tubes in front) --

Those are very nice tubes!! The only negative to them is they are heat producing monsters. They makes KT88's seem like Popsicles!!

Craig

Those are very nice tubes!! The only negative to them is they are heat producing monsters. They make KT88's seem like Popsicles!!

Craig

What Craig says. AFAIK, they are or were Russian military tubes that are now used by a small number of amp manufacturers like BAT and Joule Electra, who also use other Russian designed tubes here and there in their amps and preamps, and (the former?) Tenor Audio. Subjectively, I think it's a very linear-sounding tube and I like it. Yep, they definitely produce heat, but I don't think it's overwhelming.

Since I know basically nothing about tubes and circuitry, hopfully someone else will chime in with juicy details. I think I've read that they have a low impedance somewhere (maybe the plate?), allowing smaller turns ratios in output transformers, and use in relatively smaller numbers in OTL amps. Obviously the amp has to be designed around a tube like this. By relatively smaller, BTW, I mean "only" six 6C33B output tubes in the Joule 100-watt OTL monobloc, vs. 8 of some other kind of output tubes for Atma-Spere's 60-watt mono OTL -- and 14 for their 140-watt mono OTL. Now, that sounds like heat!

Larry