Cornwall with WAF appeal (WaCorn)

jwc

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have listened a few days now and seem settled on the taps. This again has a seperate Autoformer for the tweeter (T2A) and one for the K55 (UT3636).

The K55 is attenuated -5.4 dB and the tweeter attenuated -3.0 dB (tweeter just like a Cornwall-mimicking somewhat what Al/Dean do on the ALK B).

Let me start by being honest here. This speaker doesn't have that "Heritage" sound like other speakers I have built. This isn't to say it sounds bad by all means. I'm not sure if it is the combination of drivers and horns or the very "high order" of my network. I am pleased however. I think I just need to get used to it. For the last couple of years, I have listened to the typical Heritage Klipsch speaker.

The way the bass bin is tuned (32 Hz), it is a real bass machine. This is kinda what I was looking for for my lake house and to fullfill the duties of the music that will be played. There won't be that "snappy" and quick bass for say the jazz music with the kick drum. It is a very good low bass that really does shake my bassment.

Now for the overall sound. I am hearing stuff that I have never heard before. I think this is the ESN doing this. I listen to my library of stuff I have been listening to for years a get startled at some of the background sounds. Stuff like subtle horns in the background and those sounds created by band members shaking tamborines. I have to use words I have heard before on this forum to describe the results and I would again have to say the IMAGING AND DETAIL are really coming out. It sounds like i'm listening to three speakers intead of two. This can be real annoying on a bad recording. I am afraid of what will happen when my wife and friends pull out the old ACDC, Skynard and so on. It should be a surprise for me. Some of the old CD's may have bad recordings....will see.

I have said this before too...you can crank these things and there is no fatigue.

That Heritage sound I'm used to isn't there. There is no openess and in your face forward stuff. I do like this at low volumes.

The image attached is the one created by Dean that kinda breaks down what the taps do on different autoformers. The polarity on my setup is reversed like the ALK A. This sheet is very helpful to me. The T2A isn't listed on there so i just borrowed the "combined" column to demonstrate the 4 and 0 taps for the tweeter.

To sum it up. My wife is fired up with these. I kinda built them based on what my wife wanted.

jc

post-16499-13819295600456_thumb.jpg

They sure look good in the room. That's a very comfortable listening room. It's really helpful to see them in pics next to the Khorns, give a sense of scale.

JW, you hit a home run on this one. Wish I could hear the rascals.

Big Bro,

FYI. Those are not Khorns. They are Cornscala DBB's. Two CW bass bins, 511b, big JBL tweet. All in one box.

Terry

They sure look good in the room. That's a very comfortable listening room. It's really helpful to see them in pics next to the Khorns, give a sense of scale.

JW, you hit a home run on this one. Wish I could hear the rascals.

Big Bro,

FYI. Those are not Khorns. They are Cornscala DBB's. Two CW bass bins, 511b, big JBL tweet. All in one box.

Terry

SSSSHHHHH! It was supposed to be a damn secret.

post-16499-13819295617206_thumb.jpg

I'm done. I've been listening to these more and more. Very pleased. Bass Monsters!

Unfortunately, their time left here in my basement is coming to an end. Off to the Lake house this weekend.

post-16499-13819295701576_thumb.jpg