High End Audio Sucks

edwinr

I've been visiting lots of Hi-Fi shops during the last few months, listening to a variety of high end loudspeakers. I admit I've been impressed with some of the demonstrations featuring various brands including Magnepan, MartinLogan, Thiel, Wilson Audio and many others.

Just when you start thinking; "Well that speaker is a possibility", you get hit with the; "OMG, you can't run this speaker with THAT amplifier - you need to buy THIS amplifier to drive it". And of course THIS amplifier costs big $$$. I've begun to realise that many high end loudspeaker manufacturers don't give a hoot about what amplifier you need to buy to run their loudspeakers properly. It seems to me little thought is given to what kind of load and sensitvity these speakers present to the amplifier. On a couple of speaker manufacturer's websites, they admit that to their way of thinking, watts are relatively cheap, so they design their speakers accordingly.

But the loudspeaker manufacturers haven't told the amplifier manufacturers. Because quality 'name brand' watts are NOT cheap. It's ridiculous what some amplifier manufacturers are charging for their products - you virtually have to spend the same money again on an amplifier to run your new high end speakers. It takes a considerable leap of faith to buy 'no-name brand' amplifiers. In this forum, however, you get reasonable advice if you're brave enough to risk your hard earned dollars on 'no-name' products.

At least you guys at Klipsch Audio Technologies have an eye on the real world. You build speakers that flirt with the high end, but can be driven by cost effective amplifier designs.

For that, I thank you.

P.S. Thanks for my brand new La Scalas.

edwinr,

Thanks for posting this...I have found some of the same...Imagine the intel Klipsch can get from their forum...I appreciate the value of Klipsch speakers AND this forum for tweaking, improving, repairing, updateing and buying (both new AND used (preowned)...Bill

"At least you guys at Klipsch Audio Technologies have an eye on the real world. You build speakers that flirt with the high end, but can be driven by cost effective amplifier designs."

Edwin, You hit the nail tight on the head. No pretentions just great, affordable, sound.

Plus, how many other companies care as much for their customers to listen yo their inputs, tacidly approve modification of them, welcome groups of customers at annual "Pilgrimages" even those of uswith thirty year old products?

Ain't it great!!!

Congrats to you and Jack on your new LaScalas. And thanks for buying new keeping Heritage alive.

Rick

Flirt with the high end?

I worked for a high end audio dealer that carried high priced "amp and speaker of the month" equipment.(maggies, Wilson Audio, B&w, Martin Login etc.) I was never pleased with the sound of any of these. My stock '89 khorns sounded more like a real performance.

When single ended amps were coming back in style, the owner and two other sales people came to my house to audition an SET 300b amp we were considering carrying. The store didn't have speakers with the efficiency for a measley 12 watts.

I had been scoffed and laughed at while I worked there with the usual comments: "Klipsch? You like honk in your music blah, blah, blah". Klipsch were not taken seriously.

Needless to say, they were blown away. What was supposed to be a quick visit turned into an 8 hour music fest and I had to tape their jaws shut so they could get into their cars.

The amps didn't make it to the showroom and they didn't pick up Klipsch. The high $$$$ manufacturers always update their (perfect sounding?) lines that feeds more sales.

BTW, with Trachorns and ALK networks, I'm getting equal resolution and imaging WITH the authority and dynamics that Klipsch delivers. Closest thing to the real thing tnat I have heard!

Congratulations on your LA Scalas. Get some nice amps and forget about the high end - your there.

Edit: Make those amps "no names" You'll probably be happier with the sound and since nobody will know the brand names, you'll be perceived as "Real Serious"!

You guys are all "flirting" with the real point. High PRICED audio sux. I know there are many here who either don't want to or can't bring themselves to believe that, but thank goodness it is TRVTH for some of us. I rather doubt that the real acqusition cost of my main system (see profile) equals more than 2500.00. Biggest single item was the 'horns picked off Ebay for 1500.00 delivered. My friend Ron's system with Frazier 11's, Marantz Model 5s, and rear Heresies all in pristine condition comes in at less than 2k.

If you keep your line in the water, good things come to you...

Dave

I've run into some snobby people at high-priced audio boutiques, the conversation goes well until I'm asked what speakers I'm running. When you say Klipsch either they have never heard of it or it doesn't cost enough. These guys pay more for a meter of cable than I paid for my system. Nevertheless, I'm enjoying the sound from my system.

I've run into some snobby people at high-priced audio boutiques, the conversation goes well until I'm asked what speakers I'm running. When you say Klipsch either they have never heard of it or it doesn't cost enough. These guys pay more for a meter of cable than I paid for my system. Nevertheless, I'm enjoying the sound from my system.

OH MY: I just saw speaker wire for $4,450. for 2 -20ft cables; High End INDEED. I forgot to mention they had ends on them.

The high audio game works like this: you get middle-age guys with declining hearing and rising income. There is a sweet spot, where the curves of hearing and income converge, between the ages of 40 and 60. These are the same guys who gladly shell out tens of kilobucks for the dream cars of their youth, as now seen on ebay etc.

You talk psuedoscience and create a self-reinforcing culture of advertising and reviewing in the mags and sell 'hi-end' as part of the entire lux-life lifestyle, the costlier the better.

You create anxiety about being left behind the curve and your retailers encourage anxious 'audiophiles" to "trade up" to whatever this year's A list component is.

Next year the cycle begins again.

The high audio game works like this: you get middle-age guys with declining hearing and rising income. There is a sweet spot, where the curves of hearing and income converge, between the ages of 40 and 60. These are the same guys who gladly shell out tens of kilobucks for the dream cars of their youth, as now seen on ebay etc.

You talk psuedoscience and create a self-reinforcing culture of advertising and reviewing in the mags and sell 'hi-end' as part of the entire lux-life lifestyle, the costlier the better.

You create anxiety about being left behind the curve and your retailers encourage anxious 'audiophiles" to "trade up" to whatever this year's A list component is.

That is it in a nutshell. For those who don't like or are allergic to nuts basically its try to re- live our youth, or in my case trying to live a youth I didn't have.

Yeh, That's one of the reasons I'm thankful for the Klipsch forum. Klipschsters are actually pretty rare animals on the planet.

I used to go in audio shops to be able to ask audio questions and learn a few things. It was often not a great experience... I was interested in the gear, but most of it was beyond my budget.

These market niche these folks provide is simply in a different orbit than my interests.

I like Mark's story about his friend putting great sound together for not alot of bucks.

That is one of the real joys of the Klipsch forum, in my experience, and with Klipsch in general. One can put together a VERY good sounding system and have a VERY good time doing it. With some care, patience, and good advice from kind and knowlegeable folks on the forum the results can pleasing.

That is one of the real joys of the Klipsch forum, in my experience, and with Klipsch in general. One can put together a VERY good sounding system and have a VERY good time doing it. With some care, patience, and good advice from kind and knowlegeable folks on the forum the results can pleasing.

Amen to that! My life is so much richer due to the information I learned about audio from this forum. I'm glad I stumbled across this place.

Woo

The high audio game works like

this: you get middle-age guys with declining hearing and rising income.

There is a sweet spot, where the curves of hearing and income

converge, between the ages of 40 and 60. These are the same guys

who gladly shell out tens of kilobucks for the dream cars of their

youth, as now seen on ebay etc.

You talk psuedoscience and create a self-reinforcing

culture of advertising and reviewing in the mags and sell 'hi-end' as

part of the entire lux-life lifestyle, the costlier the better.

You create anxiety about being left behind the curve

and your retailers encourage anxious 'audiophiles" to "trade up" to

whatever this year's A list component is.

Man, that is very well put!

Hi all,

...(voice over)...ALLIED 333 (Yard Sale) Tube Receiver...five dollars.

...MINT (circa 1985) KLIPSCH KG 4's Speakers acquired through "HOBBIEST SEEKS" ad...fifty dollars.

...Musical satisfaction (total cost $55.00)...PRICELESS!

Regards,

SixCats!

w

This is a little unfair, I don't think high end is just for the 40 to 60 year olds.There are alot of late20's and 30 year olds fueling that market too! I won't feel bad because I bought a car I always wanted, a pair of speakers I wanted, but didn't need. When you get married the cycle begins,Kids,House,car,kids grow-up, go to college,daughter gets married, you don't have the money for the stuff YOU want, so you wait, and do without.Work, work, work, you gotta pay the bills, buy the food, the clothes, forget what you want, family first.Then one day, the kids are gone, house is paid, and you can start to get the stuff you wanted, What's wrong with that? Alot of younger people make alot more money today than I ever did.I guess all I mean to say is, There are many people to blame High End Stereo on, not just us old(er) guys. I realise my hearings shot, blamed that on Rock n'Roll, the gray thinning hair, blamed the kids for that, the indigestion, blamed that on the wife.Sorry I have to go now and take the Porsche 911 for a ride.